Crackdown 2 Gets In on the Zombie Craze

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Crackdown 2 Gets In on the Zombie Craze

The first details about Crackdown 2 have finally surfaced, and it looks like Ruffian Games' sequel will deliver much more of the same as the first game, with one key difference: there are zombies involved.

Zombies, zombies, zombies. They're on your lawn, they're in your movies, they're in every other videogame you play. Who knows if werewolves are the next big thing or not, but zombies aren't going away any time soon, it looks like. Even Crackdown's getting in on the zombie craze. According to alleged details picked from Game Informer's cover story [http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/200909/N09.0909.1838.06943.htm] on the game, Crackdown's Pacific City will be overcome by a wave of the undead in its sequel.

Apparently the premise of Crackdown 2 goes like this: after defeating all three gangs in the first Crackdown, things haven't been going so well. Some sort of virus broke out in parts of the city, sending a good portion of population into zombieland. Naturally, citizens aren't happy about this and how the Agency handled it, so some of them start a new gang, leading to a three-way war between the Agency, the civilian gang, and the zombie horde.

Since things aren't exactly peaceful in Pacific City, the city has undergone some changes. The roads and architecture are all the same mostly, but some of it has been destroyed and damaged amidst all the chaos. Supply Points, the hubs spread out around the city you used to store weapons and stock ammo, are no more - you can now call in new weapons and supplies from anywhere.

Speaking of weapons, they'll be in much greater variety in Crackdown 2. No more whoring the rocket launcher for the entire game - there's a new shotgun, a rail gun and sticky grenades, to name a few of the new armaments you'll acquire. As for how you'll skill up your affinities with those weapons, it'll work the same way as in Crackdown, where you collect orbs for using certain abilities to boost them.

Co-op will support four-players, as was previously revealed, and the game will be built around co-op play much more than the first Crackdown. There will also be a 16-player deathmatch mode which is supposedly quite a bit of fun and features a Modern Warfare-style character progression system.

Overall it sounds like more of the Crackdown formula we know and love, plus zombies. And while I'm as sick of zombies as everyone else, I have to say that the idea of picking up a zombie corpse and throwing it off the top of a skyscraper sounds pretty damn fun.

[Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=223024]]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I will never be sick of zombies.

Its training for the inevitable zombie apocalypse.

Besides, theres not a whole lot of games out there where bots have AI much better than zombies.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Cool. I can't wait for Crackdown 2, as I liked the first one, and I enjoy zombies.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
*sigh* At least it sounds decent, and 4 player co-op sounds even better, but still...

Generation 7, the time of successful boycotts, zombies, and teasers from every single company.

Keane Ng said:
Zombies, zombies, zombies. They're on your lawn, they're in your movies, they're in every other videogame you play.
They eat your neighbours too.

Keane Ng said:
Does everybody still love zombies? Am I alone in being tired of them?
I got sick of them when Nazi Zombie mode tried to copy L4D with the latest DLC.

That being said though, L4D2...

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Zombies are only getting old to me because everyone keeps doing the same thing with them. They're either the slow shambling zombies or the fast twitchy zombies. Give them some variety already. Also, why does it always have to be a virus that creates the zombies? That's never interesting.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Keane Ng said:
I do, I'm just waiting for a game where they're the types of zombies I actually like to kill. Dead Rising was almost there, just the gunplay didn't do it for me. Dead Rising 2 will seem to fit the bill quite nicely though.

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
Keane Ng said:
No you're not, getting a little sick of them myself. The only zombie game I would like to see would be a free-roam zombie game (with no superpowers) in an abandoned city, with full cooperative multiplayer, and preferably made by Rockstar. I think it's time we find a new video game trend. My vote goes to vikings.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
Keane Ng said:
Zombies are only getting old to me because everyone keeps doing the same thing with them. They're either the slow shambling zombies or the fast twitchy zombies. Give them some variety already. Also, why does it always have to be a virus that creates the zombies? That's never interesting.
Or, if one wants to be pedantic about it and say L4D2 had no zombies because they basically had rabies and the dead weren't reanimated...then neither did Resident Evil 4 and 5 (because they were parasitically controlled), both of which would be closer to whatever that virus is in Prototype than anything, and in that respect we haven't gotten enough zombies this generation. Or ghosts (like 3 games).

Too many viruses, not enough zombies.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
TriggerUnhappy said:
Keane Ng said:
No you're not, getting a little sick of them myself. The only zombie game I would like to see would be a free-roam zombie game (with no superpowers) in an abandoned city, with full cooperative multiplayer, and preferably made by Rockstar. I think it's time we find a new video game trend. My vote goes to vikings.
Yes. Vikings PLEASE.

Da pyro man 999

Aug 24, 2009
The us goverment are obsessed with the idea that people killing people in games will make people kill people in real life. So you will see alot of zombies and robots istead of people.

phoenix_tetsu

Sep 7, 2009
Hey I played this game already... when it was called prototype....

Just kidding... will it be an 360 exclusive?

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Why is it that when a game with zombies sells, EVERY SINGLE FUCKING GAME feels the need to add in zombies? it's fucking retarded!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
All I ask is that, for the millionth time, they fix the Driving and Agility orbs.

That shit was BROKEN.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
That... really seems like a lazy idea for a sequel, to be honest. Hmm, a city where a virus has broken out in parts of the city and converting the inhabitants into zombies, where the hero gets around the city by leaping atop buildings of improbable height? That sounds a hell of a lot like ''Prototype'' to me.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Crackdown 2 needed zombies, really.
I didn't feel right cleaning up gangs for an overall evil goal, trying to contain a biological outbreak sounds much less morally ambiguous.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I quite like the sound of this actually, you basically get to be a superpowered dick in the middle of a zombie apocalypse not some ragged desperate survivor which should make things entertaining.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Keane Ng said:
I also am getting annoyed with them but this sounds like it could be quite good. Its not a mini game and its not the main enemy, its like a three way war between Zombies, Civilians and Armies. It actually sounds like a strange version of Resident Evil where the Civilians are actually doing something.

One question? How are you going to pick off the certain leaders of the Zombie Hordes? Zombies dont have arms dealers?