LucasArts Unveils Platform Dreamscape of Lucidity

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
LucasArts Unveils Platform Dreamscape of Lucidity

LucasArts has taken a break from its busy schedule of whoring out Star Wars to unveil Lucidity, a surreal and relaxing dream-based puzzle platformer that's kind of like Lemmings on valium and LSD. At the same time.

First thought: Pretty!

Second thought: Man, I want to save this to a handheld and watch it when I go to bed. This game looks relaxing as all hell.

Anyway, perhaps calling Lucidity a platformer is a misnomer, since when you think about it, you're not actually doing any of the platforming - the computer controls main character Sofi's actions as she traverses through these surreal dreamscapes and moments of imagination. For the player, it's more of a puzzle game, as you'll need to drop items and platforms in front of her in order to get her from Point A to Point B safely.

I'm not going to lie, as gorgeous as this game looks (and check out the artwork over at Offworld [http://www.offworld.com/2009/09/i-was-just-dreaming-lucasarts.html]) it also looks kind of dull and sleepy. But perhaps later levels will be slightly more challenging - one can hope, anyway.

Lucidity is being developed by the team behind the remake of The Secret of Monkey Island and will be hitting PC and Xbox Live. The official release can be found here [http://www.lucasarts.com/company/release/news20090911.html].

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Jesus tittyfucking christ, hospials will showing this to knock out patients. How are you meant to play when it sends you into a hypnotic trance?

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Looks intersting. :eek:
But with this song... I won't be able to play 3 levels in a row without taking a nap between them.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
(Yawns) I'm off to bed now. I don't think I'll be needing that mug of hot chocolate after all.
see ya in the morning.

21 seconds in: kinda bores me.

1min 15 seconds into game: shows very light difficulty level,still borish.

1min 36 seconds into game: think I saw an enemy.still unentertained,seems like a nice place though.

1min 55 seconds in: discovered a collection icon in bottom left corner of screen,showing replay value for high score.

video finished: found odd sense of relaxation,still not much of entertainment.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Ok, I'm guessing this a very, very early level, otherwise this game is going to be SO boring. It has potential, it's certainly an interesting idea. Maybe once you get a wide range of different items, the levels become more complex and the girl gets faster it becomes more interesting.

Sallix

Apr 9, 2008
it seems to me to be an interesting concept, however it does look like it will get repetitive and slow.

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
That *yawn* game looks pretty *yawn* relaxing...

*rubs eyes*

I'm gonna go lie down and have some trippy dreams...

OT: I'd like to see the finished product, it kinda looks like it has the same charm Braid does.

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
lucasarts is endorsing something other than Star Wars, when does this game come out December 21 2012?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
While I applaud this initiative, it looks so much like a flash game that it can't compete with one if you actually charge for it. Then again, maybe when I'm not seeing it on YouTube it'll look better.

You are in a strange surreal field west of a multicolored magical forest.

There is a mailbox here.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Wasder said:
Jesus tittyfucking christ, hospials will showing this to knock out patients. How are you meant to play when it sends you into a hypnotic trance?
That's part of the difficulty. Hard mode actually injects morphine into your body to make it evenharder to concentrate.

Cool idea, but I would like to see more levels. This could very well be one of the early levels, seeing as the pace is slow and you only have two pieces. At this time, though, I see no reason to criticize the pace or difficulty.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Am I the only one who sees whats going on?

The game is called "Lucidity"!!! I think the whole point is to put us into that strange lucid dream phase by playing this game...

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
an interesting concept- to make a game to calm you rather than relax you. But frankly, if I wat to relax I'd rather be taking a bath or laying in a park, not sitting in front of a monitor or TV assisting some woman who trots across the screen slowly. No thans.

This just in- the wiiware version is going to support the vitality sensor to make sure youre nice and relaxed- if your pace quickens she stops walking and waits for you to settle down :)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Intresting new *yawn* spin on the *yawn* platformeeee- *crash* *snore snore snore*