Toys R' Us Ad Foreshadows Wii Price Cut to $200?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Toys R' Us Ad Foreshadows Wii Price Cut to $200?

A leaked Toys R' US advertisement seems to suggest that Nintendo will be following Xbox 360 and PS3 price cuts with the Wii, slashing the price to $200 by the end of the month.

This ad you see here to the right was leaked by a tipster to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5359038/toys-r-us-ad-points-to-199-wii-price-drop-this-month], and would appear to support rumors floating around the internet that Nintendo, having realized that its competitors are starting to encroach dangerously on the Wii's family-friendly $250 price tag, will cut the price of the Wii to match.

Said tipster claims that the price cut will hit the week of September 27th, just in time for the holiday season to begin. At just a $50 cut, Nintendo isn't quite offering the same deal that Microsoft and Sony did, but it's still enough to put a $100 gap between the Wii and its rivals in the console market.

Now, again, this is just a rumor, and until something is officially announced by Nintendo that's all it will ever be. It's also possible that, if true, this is a separate Toys R' Us promotion, not a Nintendo one. Still, for all Nintendo has been raking in cash hand over fist with the Wii up until now, the company would be very shortsighted to not realize that one of the Wii's most attractive details - its low price tag - isn't quite so attractive with more powerful machines for just $50 more.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/14/rumor-toys-r-us-ad-leaks-50-wii-price-cut/])

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
They don't have to, though! The Wii still sells like mad. I don't see a point in dropping the price until Sony/Microsoft reaches the $250 point, which they won't, if ever, for a long time.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Cut it down to $150 and I would consider buying it. $100 and I would buy it without second thoughts.

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
I remember reading that Nintendo were making about $9 on every Wii sold? Won't this mess with their profits somewhat?

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Ok so I spent 500 Wii points on the Wii shop channel to get the internets channel and I'll get a free NES game download because Nintendo is deciding to make the Internets channel FREE. So where the hell is the 50 buck Nintendo owes me!?

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
You got it earlier than the moaning kid that the mother wont get because its over $200.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
ugh, I'm starting to get sick and tired of all these leaks and rumours... can't we just get a pure and simply suprise for once?

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Simalacrum said:
ugh, I'm starting to get sick and tired of all these leaks and rumours... can't we just get a pure and simply suprise for once?
From what I've heard, rumors are like crack cocaine and pre-order copies of Modern Warfare 2. You don't want to wait if you can simply get them as early as possible. :p

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Who want's to bet that UK will get shafted in this? We have recently actually had a price HIKE so that the Xbox Elite and Wii are now at the same price... but maybe that is hurting as I'm seeing wii peripherals/games take up less and less shelf space in the part of UK I live at least.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
I'm gonna guess this is a good Photoshop job. The only mistake is the conspicuous absence of the word "Nintendo." And does Babies R' Us carry the Wii? It's possible, I suppose; I've seen some DS games in there. Still... I'm not convinced.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
will1182 said:
Ugh, everyone who actually wants a Wii probably bought one years ago. Until Nintendo comes out with more games, it's still not worth it (though I do love Virtual Console).

To people thinking of getting one, I'd think twice. I and all of my friends bought a Wii near launch, and thought it was the best thing ever. Guess what? Every one of us now has a 360/PS3 as the Wii collects dust. Unless you are very loyal to Nintendo's key franchises (all of which get no more than one release every 3 years) or jump at the opportunity to play classic games, I'd wait for the next price drop.
did you know that there are people who will buy or have brought the new psp because they feel they need to support the company they love? Stupid people are out there. Go to a deli and look at the prices and you'll see things like : "2 for the price of 1!" Except when you compare the prices for one, you see that it is really "2 for the price of 2!" Even if this is not Ninetodo and it's just ToysRus, just lowering the system some amount may actually get them sales.