Onimusha Creator Wants to Work With Bungie

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Capcom's Keiji Inafune - creator of Onimusha, Dead Rising, and the original character designer of Mega Man - thinks it would be very "interesting" to collaborate on a project with Halo creators Bungie.

Inafune-san was in the neighborhood of Bungie's Seattle studio (presumably for PAX) and stopped this is the sort of resume [http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU091109] you don't mess around with.

Inafune, who is currently "Head of Research & Development and Online Business" at Capcom, offhandedly mentioned interest in a collaboration when asked why he was dropping by:

[blockquote]Bungie is an amazing studio that has made incredible games. So I was always curious about how they made their games in hopes of being up to add some of the flavor into Capcom games. Also, I wanted to come down to Bungie in order to see just how well our philosophies on game design matched up. If things clicked, I know it would be interesting to collaborate together on a title in the future.[/blockquote]

He talked about a good deal more beyond that - more of his philosophy and thoughts on game design, what he felt modern developers could learn from classic titles - but that above statement is the thing that really interests me here. Can you imagine the fruit that a Bungie/Inafune crossover would bear? Master Chief vs. Mega Man! Killing zombies with chainsaws, plasma screen TVs, and the Energy Sword! It turns out that Umbrella's virus heads into space and mutates where it creates the flood!

I don't know if it'd be on the same level as, say, Hideo Kojima's StarCraft: Ghost, but it could only result in awesomeness. ...probably.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/14/inafune-confesses-interest-in-bungie-collaboration/])

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Actually, I don't really like Mega Man games or Dead rising, and I hate Halo. But it is interesting. I imagine Capcom + Bungie would probably get hyped to no end. I predict almost no game reviewers would reveiw the game honestly if it was crap. Not saying it would be, of course.

EDIT: My statements on Mega Man and Bungie and Halo and Dead Rising are my own personal opinions in what I prefer to play. I make no pretensions to my preferences in gaming being FACT, or some sort of Holy Edict.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Well, this is intriguing. Not sure if anything will actually come out of this considering the tentativeness of this whole thing, but it'd certainly be interesting to see a Capcom/Bungie collaboration sometime in the near future.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
I think he could lead an exciting IP for bungie they are talented guys (and girls) and could do with a different series to concentrate on

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Good. Hopefully something creative, fun, and awesome will come of the collaboration of two of my favorite video game series.

Jul 9, 2008
happysock said:
I think he could lead an exciting IP for bungie they are talented guys (and girls) and could do with a different series to concentrate on
Seriously. I loved Halos 1 and 2, but I think it's starting to destroy them from the inside out. It's not reasonable to expect them to only make one series.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
As long as it dosent evolve into puting some of the most innovative minds together to make the same old crap *halo 4 featuring MegaMan* Becuse we know that would just be a windowlicking good time.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
[HEADING=1]WHAT???[/HEADING]

Madness. East meets west? Yes please. I like the sound of this one. I'd be interested how they would meld together with the Onimusha team, considering they have made mainly shooters. But this sounds like a winner either way.

Gaderael said:
Wow. That'd be quite the team-up, like Spiderman and Wolverine kind of team up.
More like Batman and Wolverine, a team up you'd never expect.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Cousin_IT said:
I hope he has an Oni sequel in mind
Alas and dammit, Take2 owns Oni now so it wouldn't be a colaboration between Bungie and Mr. Inafune.

Now, a Dead Rising where the shooting controls didn't suck would really draw my interest.

-- Steve

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Seems like a good idea. I've heard that he's made some good games and Bungie has too, so this would probably turn out well.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
[HEADING=1]WHAT???[/HEADING]

Madness. East meets west? Yes please. I like the sound of this one. I'd be interested how they would meld together with the Onimusha team, considering they have made mainly shooters. But this sounds like a winner either way.

Gaderael said:
Wow. That'd be quite the team-up, like Spiderman and Wolverine kind of team up.
More like Batman and Wolverine, a team up you'd never expect.
It's like crack and meth!
No seriously, do want.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
It's obvious... Master Chief == Megaman!!!
Just the colour of the armour changed, from blue to some colour from the dirt spectrum... ;)

So no wonder he wants to get in on Halo.
Hmm, Halo with the whacky Megaman arsenal of weapons and gadgets? Could be fun multiplayer ahead :)

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Guess what guys? One of the granddaddies of gaming says that Bungie is a great studio.

*Cue people attempting to discredit him*

But yeah, this is pretty interesting.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
That "T Virus creates Flood" thing might be cool.

Anyway, sounds cool to me, but it all depends on if they decide to do it.