Italy Sets Guinness Record For Largest Guitar Hero Session

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Italy Sets Guinness Record For Largest Guitar Hero Session

594 Italians turned up at a Verona store over the course of the day to participate in a Guitar Hero 5 event, setting the record for largest single Guitar Hero session in a single day.

The Guinness World Records really are on a roll these days with these absurd and seriously dubious videogame records. The latest one goes to the country of Italy, which now holds the title for the largest Guitar Hero session over a 24-hour period. 594 people showed up at a store in Verona over the course of a single day, netting Italy the title over competition in France and Sweden. Italy, clearly, loves Guitar Hero the most in Europe.

"This new record is an awesome accomplishment and will be a tough one to surpass" said Gaz Deaves, the person in charge of videogame records at Guinness and therefore probably the man behind all this ridiculousness. "The sheer scale of participation in the jam session is a true testament to the popularity and accessibility of Guitar Hero."

All these record setting attempts are there to promote these games or companies on one level or another, but this seems to be the most blatantly transparent one yet. I have to imagine that if you can cough up enough dough, Guinness will be happy to create a new world record for you. I won't be surprised, then, if Activision wins the "Most Working Night Vision Goggles Shipped With a Game" record when Modern Warfare 2 comes out or Blizzard wins "RTS With The Most Well-Animated Zerglings" for StarCraft II.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Does this mean Guitar Hero will be taken seriously by the public at large now?

Wait, no, I'm guessing not. Nobody takes Italy seriously.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I have to say, I'm actually quite unimpressed, getting over 50 people to play Guitar Hero in one day is pretty easy. Hell, just bring it to my school. Out of the 1200 pupils, at least half what give it a go.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I was planning to go along to the London event, but decided against it when I realised it was in the smaller HMV near Bond Street station rather than the main flagship store half a mile down the road. I expected a bit too much of a crowd for the space to handle... sounds like that worry was a bit unfounded.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Keane Ng said:
All these record setting attempts are there to promote these games or companies on one level or another, but this seems to be the most blatantly transparent one yet. I have to imagine that if you can cough up enough dough, Guinness will be happy to create a new world record for you. I won't be surprised, then, if Activision wins the "Most Working Night Vision Goggles Shipped With a Game" record when Modern Warfare 2 comes out or Blizzard wins "RTS With The Most Well-Animated Zerglings" for StarCraft II.
Yeah, pretty much this. The whole "Guiness World Record for gaming" is getting a bit tired. If it was actually records of good games or exceptional feats of gameplay (And I mean exceptional) then maybe but this? This is just...pathetic.

Sorry Italy, you fail to impress. Don't care.

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
I just bought guitar hero 5 and it doesn't work with my limited edition Red-Xbox 360 elite. Is anyone else having this problem, or do I have to go trade my xbox in for a new one?

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Manhattan2112 said:
I just bought guitar hero 5 and it doesn't work with my limited edition Red-Xbox 360 elite. Is anyone else having this problem, or do I have to go trade my xbox in for a new one?

i belive you are in the wrong place

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
lizards said:
Manhattan2112 said:

i belive you are in the wrong place
I'm not retarded. I just thought right now would be an excellent opportunity to bring it up.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
GyroCaptain said:

:(. Man we choose the wrong side in a world war and nobody ever forgives us.

Come on man! We created the interesting religion! That's gotta count for something.

Considering how popular soap operas are I think they should try repackaging Greek Gods and see if it sells this time around better.

Note: I saw "we" but I'm only italian by my mothers side, born and raised American but too white to get scholarships for having an italian mother.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Amnestic said:
Keane Ng said:
Yeah, pretty much this. The whole "Guiness World Record for gaming" is getting a bit tired. If it was actually records of good games or exceptional feats of gameplay (And I mean exceptional) then maybe but this? This is just...pathetic.

Sorry Italy, you fail to impress. Don't care.
I agree. I mean really there needs to be actual skill involved in world records. Something like the longest air rocket ever in Quake 3 or something ridiculous like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUlkkr2DjoA&fmt=18

Yes, it is staged. There are a few damn fine shots out there, but they are buried within 10 minute frag videos.

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
theultimateend said:
GyroCaptain said:

Come on man! We created the interesting religion! That's gotta count for something.

Considering how popular soap operas are I think they should try repackaging Greek Gods and see if it sells this time around better.

Note: I saw "we" but I'm only italian by my mothers side, born and raised American but too white to get scholarships for having an italian mother.
and the italians have ancient Rome! How cooler can you get than the ancient Romans :D

OP:I'm pretty sure that someone else will come up and beat the world record, its a bit of a naf achievement no? oh i have the world record for the largest session of guitar hero and tbh i don't think its that brilliant a game either

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Fuck, after that kid who dropped out school for guitar hero, it's getting hard to take that series seriously now.

Hopefully that kid will be a hobo on the streets.

Mar 17, 2009
theultimateend said:
GyroCaptain said:

Nah. We promptly switched sides in the middle of it and now nobody even remembers we were in it, if not for our hilarious blunders.

Why is everybody going off on Italy instead of GH though? Envy is what I figure.

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
Well I guess Guitar Hero really is fun, addictive and... oh lord advertisement alert! (Darn them using poor old Guiness like that)

Marq said:
I'm starting to think that video games should simply be ineligible for world records.
Yeah I'm liking that cause it's just was too easy. I probably broke a few with the amounts of retries and beaten or some such.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Large amount of people on plastic equipment pretending to be rock stars; Cobain must be turning in his grave.

Nah only joking. Cool news, never would've guess Italians seems more of a Japanese thing to do for some reason (not sure why)