Gore Verbinski Chooses BioShock Over Pirates

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gore Verbinski Chooses BioShock Over Pirates

Director Gore Verbinski has announced that he won't be taking the helm of the fourth BioShock [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325980/] film instead.

Verbinski directed all three of the previous Pirates of the Caribbean films - in fact, aside from a quick break in 2005 for the May 2008 [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000115/] but his choice to do BioShock over the "sure thing" of a new Pirates movie is a strong signal of his commitment to the project.

"I had a fantastic time bringing Pirates to life and I am eternally grateful to Rango [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000988/], an animated film in which Depp voices the lead character.

Verbinski said he felt BioShock was "brimming with cinematic potential" when he signed to direct the movie, claiming, "Of all the games I've played, this is one that I felt has a really strong narrative." The BioShock film is currently slated for release in 2010.

Source: Variety [http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002234.html?categoryid=13&cs=1]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Cool, with Verbinski and an Oscar Winning Screenwriter on side I maintain that this, and possibly Prince of Persia, have the best possible chances of being decent videogame movies.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
I have really high hopes for this one. The guy made an American remake of a Japanese classic into it's own entity and did with both class and constrant that just isn't visible in most American remakes (This is coming from someone who loved the American remakes of The Grudge and The Grudge 2...). I have nothing but positive vibes coming off of this collaberation.

You really should read the Q/A session that Variety had with this guy to see what he thinks of this project and what he though of the game- http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/05/gore-verbinski.html

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
BioShock was not brimming with cinematic potential. It was brimming with cinematic dramatic elements and turns of character. The game met its own potential, so there's no need for a movie to be made out of it.

And this is where I shall stop, because if I have to think about Gore Verbinski and those jaw-droppingly horrible Pirates movies one second longer, my head is going to cave in.

Why do you people keep giving these people money? I mean, seriously. What am I missing here?

SmilingKitsune

Dec 16, 2008
TheBluesader said:
BioShock was not brimming with cinematic potential. It was brimming with cinematic dramatic elements and turns of character. The game met its own potential, so there's no need for a movie to be made out of it.

And this is where I shall stop, because if I have to think about Gore Verbinski and those jaw-droppingly horrible Pirates movies one second longer, my head is going to cave in.

Why do you people keep giving these people money? I mean, seriously. What am I missing here?
Because those of us with raging pirate fetishes can't get enough of it ^_^.
And I really, really hope they don't screw this one up.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Bioshock movie ?!
Prince of Persia movie ?!

I am so far behind on news its unreal.
I like Verbinski, so I have faith in him not to ruin the Bioshock movie.
As long as he doesnt try to throw in some pirate ship battles in Rapture :)

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Kwil said:
TheBluesader said:
The sensibilities of the mass market, apparantly.
Wow. That's, like, utterly true. And you didn't make it sound like I was a d-bag jerk for it or something.

An honest statement free of snark? Is this a sign of things to come on Web 2.0?

(Srsly, I was expecting lots of poorly spelled flames in response. Kudos, Dragon Avatar.)

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
I can't believe I'm saying this...but the one name that really comes to mind when I think of who should direct Bioshock is:

M. Night Shymalan

Although Gore Verbinski isn't bad, but the only videogame movie I'm looking forward to right now is the Warcraft one.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Haha, Bioshock get him and SotC gets the much better director of the super critically acclaimed Chun-Li movie. Videogame gods, you are dead to me now.

Anyway this movie is gonna need a lot of gore and only little verbinsky, if you catch my drift.

Keivz

Dec 4, 2008
Disliked The Ring. Loved the Pirates Trilogy. Bioshock was just ok. I've mixed feelings overall on this one.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Pirates is losing Verbinsky so he can do a video game movie? Where's my musket, i need to talk to someone about this!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Broken Wings said:
I'm not sure if calling the new pirates a sure thing is quite accurate, how many movie series have still been good by the 4th movie?
Are you implying that the second and third Pirates movies weren't complete turdbaskets?