Bobby Kotick Wants to Take the Fun Out of Making Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bobby Kotick Wants to Take the Fun Out of Making Games

Activision [http://www.activision.com] CEO Bobby Kotick has a real knack for words: At a recent conference in San Francisco he said that one of his goals when he became head of the company was to "take all the fun out of making videogames."

No, that's not taken out of context. I'm as much a fan of attention-grabbing headlines as anyone but in this case, as is becoming his habit, Kotick merely said what he was thinking and, one must assume, meant what he said. In a speech to the Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference yesterday, Kotick talked about the future of the Guitar Hero [http://www.guitarhero.com] franchise "untethered" from consoles and how technology has not yet reached the point where gamers can develop real emotional attachments to on-screen characters.

"I think what the untethered Guitar Hero does is equal the playing field a little more and give you some leverage with first parties when it comes to downloadable content and the business model," he said when asked about a potential future in which the game wouldn't require a console. He also suggested that at some point in the future gamers could have their Facebook [http://www.facebook.com] profiles integrated into the game, allowing them to share songs and post high scores on their profile page.

But the real bomb dropped, from a gamer's perspective at least, when he touted the company's intense focus on the bottom line above all else, noting that the company's employee incentive program "really rewards profit and nothing else."

"We have a real culture of thrift," he said. "The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games."

And then, to ensure there was no confusion in his message, he added that he has tried to instill "skepticism, pessimism, and fear" of the economic downturn into the corporate culture at Activision. "We are very good at keeping people focused on the deep depression," he said.

This isn't the first time Kotick has displayed a brazen disregard for what anyone aside from a handful of high-powered money men thinks of him and his antics at the top of the Activision pile (remember the "Overlord 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93689-Activision-CEO-Says-He-Would-Raise-Prices-Even-Higher] box." And yet, under his watch Activision has grown to become the industry's one true behemoth. So maybe he's on to something. Maybe, at the end of the day, evil works.

Consider that your pleasant thought of the day.

Source: GameSpot [http://www.gamespot.com/news/6226758.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1]

Nexus424

Master Of All That Is Frosty
Dec 26, 2008
Well we all know evil works. You just don't go broadcasting it all over.

OT: Wow I would never expect him to just come out with more and more quotes like this. When is it ever good to take the fun out of something rather than inject more in.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Funny thing is, taking fun out of video games renders them not games, thus, not good money.
His philosophy is flawed.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Maybe he's trying the Uwe Boll way of making his name famous. Just spewing out as many dumb, stupid and crowd angering statements as possible, there is no such thing as bad press after all.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
Funny thing is, taking fun out of video games renders them not games, thus, not good money.
His philosophy is flawed.
He's not taking the fun out of video games, just out of making them.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009

He just put on an elaborate disguise! Aaaaaaaahhhh!

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Yeah, it's an evil point of view and sadly like the article says it's working. People forget that the game industry is still a business and you can't continue to make games if you are not making money. He also doesn't have a reason to change his views. The company is making money hand over fist releasing pretty much the same game over and over, with a new bell or widget added in.

The big flaw in what Bob is doing is that by ruling by fear and taking the fun out of making games he is hindering creativity and the development of new IP. What's Bob going to do when WoW isn't bringing in Millions a month, or Guitar Hero 7 sells terribly? He's not going to have a lot to fall back on. Then hopefully Karma will come and kick him in the ass and out the door.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I'm inclined to call hyperbole at this point. He must know he is the most hated man in the industry at this point, I honestly think he's just saying these things now, well, for teh lulz. No man can truly be that calloused.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Seeing as he's the man responsible for taking the creativity and charm out of the Guitar Hero franchise, this comes as no surprise to me...

...regardless, BURN THE WITCH!!!

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Can something be fun that wasn't made with a sense of fun? Maybe.

Is something made with a sense of fun with an intention of being fun for others at risk of not being fun? Never.

Well, probably almost never...

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Well considering all of the shovelware under the Activision name I think he is succeeding. Imagine how soulcrushing it would be to be a developer working on the "Dancing With the Stars" home game. I would smash my monitor and slice my wrists with the jagged shards.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
So much evil... we, we can't stop that. No one can, he'll just keep going until the world is dried up and dead.

NO! I won't except that! KAAAAAAAA... MEEEEEEE... HAAAAAAAAA...

No seriously business man acting, businessy? Woah, blew my mind.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Wow. Compare these thoughts to what the founder of EA has to say [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_219/6528-Cooking-Up-Digital-Chocolate] in this week's magazine, about what motivated him when building that company, and it paints a pretty grim picture of how far videogame has come from it's roots.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I can understand where he's coming from... but I disagree.

He wants to make Videogame Making an entirely corporate, profit based persuit rather than the mad collective of Programmers and Artists that currently make up many games studios (yes even casual ones, I know someone working in a local studio and they're still all crazy artists and programmers, not corporate hot shots).

He wants to make Activision the Disney of Videogaming, cranking out generic, intensely "focus group designed" games, which is not "fun" so to speak. He wants a videogame assembly line to maximize profits and what he described as his work environment is one way to do that.

However, my girlfriend works for a man with the same outlook as good old Bobby... and this gentleman's company is failing due to his inability to hold on to knowledgable staff, the unmotivated nature of the workers (people won't work REALLY hard for you if they hate you) and the environment of extreme favoritism and backstabbing that leads to the occasional "sabotage" of jobs.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
It's only a matter of time until people want something more than just another Guitar Hero sequel, mr. Kotick. Let us hear you say these things again after that.

I think we're getting there now actually with more and more original and creative titles doing better and better in terms of sales and media coverage.

I'd pack my bags Bobby, just in case.