Zombies Invade Mushroom Kingdom in Left 4 Dead Mod

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Zombies Invade Mushroom Kingdom in Left 4 Dead Mod

If there was one thing missing from Super Mario 64, it was zombies. Thanks to one Left 4 Dead modder, that's no longer an issue.

Creatively dubbed "Mushroom Massacre," [http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=2538] the custom campaign for the PC version of Valve's hit zombie shooter Left 4 Dead features meticulously rendered recreations of the castle from Super Mario 64, only in place of helpful Toadstools, the campaign features shambling hordes of bloodthirsty undead.

Mashups like this have existed since people first started hacking together levels for Doom, but few have the appeal of Mushroom Massacre. Maybe it's my penchant for the sociopsychological ramifications of zombie hordes, or the hilariously dark juxtaposition of Nintendo's cheery world with decomposing, reanimated corpses, but this campaign strikes me as pure genius.

Personally I hope that creator "DoritoClock" uses the success of this work to continue a series of "zombies in inapppropriate games"-themed levels. I'd pay good money to see a swarm of zombies dropped into the whimsical world of Katamari Damacy, or forced to fight for their lives against Virtua Fighter's pugilists.

Honestly, I think Akira could take 'em.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/15/fan-makes-mushroom-kingdom-in-left-4-dead/])

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
God I love mods. This thing looks awesome, want.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Honestly, I think Akira could take 'em.
My money says he could get through about thirty or so of them empty handed. Put them in Street Fighter however, and Ken'll have them immolated soon enough.

Agent Larkin said:
Going on your continued mash up idea I would love to see one of Zombies + Pokemon Arena.
Madden/Fifa and L4D? Instead of supporters, you've just got waves and waves of rabid horde running at you with murder in their eyes that can only see a potential mudhole on you that needs stomping.

Oh wait...

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
That's rather neat! I also definitely like the zombies vs. Virtua Fighter concept. There's a whole area of the market there just waiting to be exploited, I think!.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I wanna see someone mix L4D and PLants Vs. Zombies. Now that would be a work of genius... or madness.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
Heh, this is awesome, especially for retro gamers like me.

Too bad I don't own L4D

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
Holy shit this is awesome. If only I owned the real copy of the game instead of this terrible 360 version.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Not a mod. Maps can only be mods if the game has no map creation tool.

Now, if this was on the 360, sure. On PC? No, it's just a map/campaign.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Credge said:
Not a mod. Maps can only be mods if the game has no map creation tool.

Now, if this was on the 360, sure. On PC? No, it's just a map/campaign.
It's both because he's added his own textures, albeit it's still more on the "map" side of things

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Oooooh. I've been trying to hold off buying Left 4 Dead since L4D2 is on the horizon but this...this is tempting me back.

Ridonculous_Ninja

Apr 15, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
...only in place of helpful Toadstools...
Only the Princess is Toadstool, and that's her name.

The other guys are just Toads.

OT: That looks pretty cool, but can you jump in paintings?

daz_O_O

Click me I'm here!
Aug 27, 2008
Amnestic said:
Oooooh. I've been trying to hold off buying Left 4 Dead since L4D2 is on the horizon but this...this is tempting me back.
I'm pretty sure all maps/mods made for L4D are compatible with L4D2, so you may as well wait that little bit longer now.

Of course as a 360 gamer this doesn't affect me, just makes me sad that none of my friends have anything resembling a gaming PC - I don't like online gaming alone =(. This looks so awesome too!