Create New Creatures With the Spore Creature Creator 2-D

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Create New Creatures With the Spore Creature Creator 2-D

Spore [http://www.ea.com] creatures.

Coming in advance of the release of Spore Hero for the Wii and Spore Hero Arena for the Nintendo DS, the Spore Creature Creator 2-D lets players build their own beasts or import and modify them from the massive Facebook [http://www.spore.com/sporepedia] pages or shared with others via email.

"Spore Creature Creator 2-D offers players a brand new way to express their creativity and share their creatures as it can be played by anyone with internet access," said Senior Producer Caryl Shaw. "The clean art style and intuitive point-and-drag functionality makes it easy for creators of all ages to get in on the fun. It'll be interesting to see how players use this new creative application."

The "easy for all ages" bit sounded like a challenge so I decided to give the thing a try for myself. It certainly was simple; the interface will be familiar to anyone who's seen the original Spore Creature Creator and I was on my way to building a hideously deformed abomination in no time at all. Saving and loading was a breeze and creatures can be sent to anyone as virtual greeting cards through the built-in email link.

The Creature Trainer game falls flat, though; after messing around with it for a bit, I found the most effective strategy was to simply fold my pink monster over backwards, grab its prominent ass-hammer and smack everything that came close. Effective, perhaps, but it looked horribly painful.

In fact, since the "real" game is so lame I think we need to come up with one of our own and I can't think of anything better than a 2-D version of the contest we had Spore2D.com [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.62142], then send it off to [email protected]. Fame awaits!

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I think i've made enough spore creatures on the 3D version to make a whole universe.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Sounds exactly the same as the 3D version. A brilliant idea with a cool creator and a shitty, shitty game.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Oh, good, more junk.

*Sigh.*

Well, I guess it is a smart way to resurrect/create hype for their new games.

So....good luck?

PS2MAN

May 17, 2009
The Great JT said:
You notice you never see any vagina monsters? What, are the Spore players sexist?
That was the 3rd creature I made =P Shame I could not upload it, would of been funny to see that on display at E3 08 beside my other non sexual creatures.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
It's fun for a Flash game, until you realize that there is only one real way to make an indestructible creature, and that sort of ruins any creative impulse you may have had.

Notice how I didn't give away the secret? Because I'm classy, that's why. And you'll no doubt figure it out in about 20 seconds of playing the trainer.

My question is, why didn't the 3D Spore creature creator come with a minigame like this? Or did it, and I just never found it?

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I wanna make something like a shoggoth, always changing form, never completly one thing.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
So having miserably failed in its PR campaign to hype up this DRM-laden, bug-ridden, poorly-optimized minigame, EA releases this? More than a year after the game was released?

Too little. Way too late.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Wow, somebody's bitter.

In other news, I've only received three entries in the Spore Creature Creator blah blah Contest, so there's still some great opportunities to come up with a winning wangbeast! Send yours in today!

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I guess it's safe to say at this point that three is all we're gonna get, so on with the judging!

The first entry comes from Arbitrary Cidin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Arbitrary+Cidin], who sent this:

Distinctly penile, also very disturbing. This one hits all the marks. The insectoid legs are a particularly nice touch. I like it.

Next up is one from Ramthundar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Ramthundar], who put together this wangbeast:

Simpler, cheerier. Bonus points for the turgidity and odd disease spots. Lacking in detail, though.

Finally, from Nivag, we get this:

I'm assuming this is supposed to be Zoidberg and nice job on that, but it was made very clear that this was a Giant Penis Monster contest. Thus, you lose.

It's not easy picking a winner from just two contest entries but I have to cast my vote with Arbitrary Cidin. While Ramthundar's entry is more obviously a dick, Cidin's GPM displays a heightened attention to detail and a far greater overall sense of creepiness.

So congratulations, and thanks to everyone who entered (yeah, all three of you). You're all winners!