Dungeon Runners Calls It Quits

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dungeon Runners Calls It Quits

If you've got an itch to run through some dungeons, you better scratch it quick: NCsoft is pulling the plug on the free-to-play MMOG Dungeon Runners [http://www.dungeonrunners.com/] on January 1.

In a letter posted on the official forums [http://boards.dungeonrunners.com/showthread.php?t=19405], Dungeon Runners Producer and Lead Programmer Stephen Nichols delivered what he called a "crap sandwich" to players, squeezing the stinky mess of bad news between two figurative slices of happier, upbeat bread. He called his time on Dungeon Runners the best in his 20-year career in game development, but said the game just isn't sustainable any longer.

"If she were a ship, she'd be taking on water. Yeah, she's been taking on water for a long time now. Are my cryptic references too hard to decipher?" he wrote. "The game just isn't profitable. And, the first rule of business is to be profitable! Man, I must have missed that day in business school."

He said the Dungeon Runners team has some ideas about how to turn things around but they're "expensive to implement and pretty risky." He also noted that the five-man team recently lost two key members, making success "pretty much out of the question." As a result, the game will be closing its doors on New Year's Eve.

But not without a bang! Anyone with a paid membership will be given free digital copies of Guild Wars Prophecies [http://www.cityofheroes.com/missionarchitect/] along with a 30-day game time code, while multiple-month memberships extending past the closure date will be refunded. Changes are also being made to give players a little more bang for their buck over the game's final few months: Mythic-level loot will drop much more frequently, prices at the King's Coin vendors will be cut drastically and experience rate gains have been quintupled. Quintupled, people!

Other changes are planned, although Nichols said he didn't want to spoil all the surprises just yet, but he did say that a "huge nuke" set to detonate on New Year's Eve is being added to Townston, which will take the entire game with it when it blows up. Sounds like a pretty memorable way to go; I've never been to an MMOG shutdown but I think I'll make a point of getting to this one.

"So, try not to be sad. It may be the end of Dungeon Runners, but it's not the end of the world!" Nichols wrote. "I'll still be working on the game until the very end. We can chat, reminisce and play DR until the lights go out."

via: MMORPG.com [http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?loadnews=14984%2FShutting-Down-on-New-Years-Eve&bhcp=1]

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
NOoooo! this was a nice game, in my opinion though it had too much premium content
Shame to see it go but the nuke thing is very dungeon runny. might have to go on to see it happen XD

mihajelko

Aug 28, 2009
Indeed, this is the second mmo I'm sad to see it go (right next to Auto Assault, its was a nice game, fun all the way but hard cuz you couldn't do squat without a premium membership (you could still do stuff but it was hard as hell)... Fair thee well

hansari

May 31, 2009
Malygris said:
He also noted that the five-man team recently lost two key members, making success "pretty much out of the question." As a result, the game will be closing its doors on New Year's Eve.
I don't know much about game development, but wouldn't creating a successful MMO demand more than just five people working on it?

Also, NCSoft seems to be getting out the free-to-play scheme. Exteel might be next...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Aww man.

It was pretty good, but yeah - premium accounts had too many advantages, but on the other hand... the game wasn't complex enough to be P2P. It's just Diablo 2 with prettier graphics, funnier characters, monsters and items... But it lacked the "just one more level!!" appeal.

Maybe because there aren't 99 levels, and you don't really have any PLOT!

Still, I might play it, having quadruple exp is pretty nice.... Wait, quintupled? That's even better!

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Now that's how you end and mmo I also like the reimbursing old players unlike hellgate -.-

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Dungeon Runners is an awesome game; I played it for a few months. I think I'll download it to see the New Years destruction. That is the best way to kill of an MMO (a nuke?? That's awesome).

Kellerb

Jan 20, 2009
now those are some developers that seem like actual people. good for them, will go and see this nuke.

Feb 13, 2008
I played it back in the Beta and it had gone the same way as Hellgate at the time by taking Diablo's idea and expanding on it. Unfortunately, like Dungeon Siege as well, it just didn't have the charm and a grind felt like a grind.

Similar with Auto Assault; great idea, well implemented, but it had a few problems to over come and just didn't have the spark that makes it amazing.

Kudos for knowing when things need to come down and doing it with grace though.(Pun unintentional)

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
sux they are going under but as he said the first goal is to be profitable and if they aren't then they can't stay in business

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I played it back in the Beta and it had gone the same way as Hellgate at the time by taking Diablo's idea and expanding on it. Unfortunately, like Dungeon Siege as well, it just didn't have the charm and a grind felt like a grind.

Similar with Auto Assault; great idea, well implemented, but it had a few problems to over come and just didn't have the spark that makes it amazing.

Kudos for knowing when things need to come down and doing it with grace though.(Pun unintentional)
Yeah, I'd rather get addicted to Diablo 2 again than play Hellgate (gets boring later, plus terrible performance) or Dungeon Siege.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The_root_of_all_evil said:
That was my problem with it too. I played it for a few weeks and it was fun but after awhile I hit a wall and it became apparent that further progression would require playing the same areas over and over again repeatedly to build up my character, the prospect of which held absolutely no appeal for me whatsoever.

I felt bad about quitting because it was a cute game and some of the people I met were pretty cool, but there just wasn't enough there to sustain my interest.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
What a way to go! Someone record this please!

I have never heard of this MMO until now but it sounds like he cared deeply about his game. Enough to blow it up with a nuke! A sad yet memorable way to go.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
It was a nice game. Not the game for me, but if it were a neighbor, it would be, "good people."
Still, I was always annoyed that they didn't live up to the whole, "run a dungeon in five minutes!" slogan they had in development.