Microsoft Thinks Halo: Reach Beta Will Sell ODST

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Microsoft Thinks Halo: Reach Beta Will Sell ODST

Xbox boss Stephen McGill thinks that offering access to the Halo: Reach beta exclusively through Halo 3: ODST will be a tantalizing bargain, and will prove more successful than Halo 3's beta with Crackdown.

Gamers who pick up Halo 3: ODST next week will be given a special code that will eventually grant them access to the multiplayer beta of Halo: Reach, the prequel to the series set to hit shelves next year. This code will be exclusive to ODST, and Microsoft's Xbox head of entertainment Stephen McGill told MCV UK [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35799/Halo-Reach-demo-will-sell-ODST-says-Microsoft] that he thinks that the promotion will help sell ODST to fans of the series:

[blockquote]The only way to access this beta will be through the Halo 3: ODST disc, so we feel there's another extremely compelling reason for both fans and newcomers to the franchise to experience Halo 3: ODST.

We saw the success of this mechanic with the Halo 3 multiplayer beta that came on the Crackdown game disc and the continued sales momentum and excitement generated around that title throughout its lifecycle, and we fully expect Halo 3: ODST to exceed that achievement.[/blockquote]

To be fair, McGill is probably right - beta access is a pretty sweet goody, since who doesn't like playing a game before everyone else? I have no doubt that the prospect of Reach will make more people buy ODST. I just can't imagine that it'll be as successful as the Crackdown promotion at all.

For one thing, they're games in the same series. If you're a big enough Halo fan to buy a game just to get access to the multiplayer beta, you'll probably be picking up ODST anyway, because... uh, it's a Halo game. Meanwhile, getting Halo 3 early might have gotten people to look at Crackdown who would have otherwise never given the game a second look.

For another thing, I just can't imagine that Reach's multiplayer will be significantly different from Halo 3's. With Halo 3, it was the first next-gen installment, it was changing things up from Halo 2 with a ton of new vehicles and weapons, etc. It was the final game in the main trilogy, and even if fans are looking forward to Reach, I doubt it'll be quite as hotly anticipated.

So sorry, McGill - I can buy that the beta promotion will help move ODST, but believing that it'll be more successful than what they did with Halo 3 and Crackdown is another story altogether. And it certainly won't have the draw of sexy Cap'n Tightpants Nathan Fillion, oh no.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/17/mcgill-odsts-halo-reach-beta-exclusivity-will-eclipse-halo-3-stunt/])

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Oh so they think fans wouldnt buy it otherwise,
Thanks for the confidence Microsoft

My bets is reach is actually not going to be a fps but in fact a GMOD of halo

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Meh, either way I'm probably buying 3 copies of ODST... not that Microsoft cares.
1 for me, 2 for friends. because I'm that damn nice. not cute, though.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
The fact that it says Halo will make loads of people buy it..............unfortunately.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
VitusPrime said:
Oh so they think fans wouldnt buy it otherwise,
Thanks for the confidence microsoft
Exactly what I thought. If they think a beta will be a selling point then I am slightly concerned about how good they think their game is.

I am still looking forward to getting it next week though.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
This...worries me. I've been deliberately staying away from anything related to spoilers of ODST but if they're hinging selling this game on the beta of another game that's cause for concern right there.

I still reckon ODST would be a good buy even without the beta. I mean, how much can you really fuck Halo up?

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I cant really imagine what the Halo: Reach multiplayer beta would be like. Would it be like Halo 3's but with slight changes or would be something completely different.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
well, duh. because with crackdown, there were a lot of halo fans that couldn't care less about the game on the fence about the whole purchase. with this, halo fans get access to a halo beta.... common sense dictates that it would, indeed, be more successful pairing the beta with a halo game. they felt the need to announce this why?

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
It's a better idea for them to put a Halo beta on a Halo game. However, I think the fact that ODST comes with Halo 3 Multiplayer is a pretty big selling point. The Reach beta, while being a nice offer, hasn't been seen enough to prove enough of a selling point for ODST.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
John, ODST has no unqiue multiplayer, it's got FireFight which is fighting as a normal human, so that is different, but nothing like any of the normal Halo's.

Meh, I'm getting the game because I love Halo, the story isn't as bad as people say plus JOHNSON, WOHOOOOO!

Sorry, I just find him funny.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dyp100 said:
John, ODST has no unqiue multiplayer, it's got FireFight which is fighting as a normal human, so that is different, but nothing like any of the normal Halo's.

Meh, I'm getting the game because I love Halo, the story isn't as bad as people say plus JOHNSON, WOHOOOOO!

Corrected. The main comparison was between H3 and Reach, but no reason to muddy the waters :)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Too many friggin Acronyms! I don't even know what the damn difference between Halo:ODST and REACH are! Jeebus! I though Bungee was supposed to be done with the Halo series! ARGH!

*PedroSteckecilo dies from frustration*

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Too many friggin Acronyms! I don't even know what the damn difference between Halo:ODST and REACH are! Jeebus! I though Bungee was supposed to be done with the Halo series! ARGH!

*PedroSteckecilo dies from frustration*
Reach isn't an acronym, it's a planet.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Dyp100 said:

Corrected. The main comparison was between H3 and Reach, but no reason to muddy the waters :)
Yeah, sorry mate, I got a little carried away. xD

But I disagree people are going to buy it for the beta, it seems a little bit pointless to buy a whole 10 hour game for a week or 2 of the same old game on new maps, maybe some old style weapons and the such, I'm just happy Elites are back in Halo with Reach.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
So wait, are they saying that there are people who want to play more Halo but that won't be attracted by ODST on it's own merits? I think they may be doing something wrong.

I can definitely see how the beta access could get people who were going to wait for ODST to get it earlier, but neither of these things sounds like it has any power to expand Halo's audience.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
My "anecdata" argues differently than the MS SalesDroid's.

What I'm hearing is that ODST is selling ODST; there's not going to be a cross-pollination effect as there was with Crackdown, as Halo fans are already panting after this next installment. However, and this is important, the Halo: Reach beta key* will act as another incentive to keep the disc instead of trading it in for store credit. If for some reason "Firefight" mode grows tiresome (and frankly, for the vast majority of fans I can't see this happening) the promise of a sneak peek at the next title could be enough to tip the balance in favour of keeping the disc.

MS and Bungie benefit because there's fewer used discs on sale, so more of the sales revenue gets directed their way... in return, players get more. I don't have a problem with this exchange, myself.

-- Steve

* My info says that the beta key isn't a code, like the "Sgt. Johnson" player-skin code card coming to those who've preordered ODST, but (like the Beta gateway in Crackdown) is built into the game disc. Let's hope that there are fewer teething pains this time...