Scribblenauts Caught Being Accidentally Racist

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Scribblenauts Caught Being Accidentally Racist

Somewhere in the thousands of words in Scribblenauts' massive dictionary, there is one that, whether developer 5th Cell intended it or not, comes off as more than a little racist.

The word in question is "sambo," which is, yes, a racial slur [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_%28martial_art%29] for black people with quite a history. Go ahead, it's in your copy of Scribblenauts, too (if you're in the States, that is). Type the word in, and what you get seems particularly inappropriate considering the connotations of the word: a watermelon.

Yikes. This couldn't have been on purpose, right? Developer 5th Cell doesn't have some sort of horrible hidden message they're sending here, right? Of course not. According to creative director Jeremiah Slaczka, the whole thing's just an unfortunate accident brought on by his team's ridiculous commitment to cramming every single word in the world into Scribblenauts.

Apparently, as Slaczka told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/16/5th-cell-scribblenauts-scandalous-looking-sambo-item-is-a-mi/], "sambo" in the game functions as an alternative term for the phrase "fig leaf gourd," which is used in an Ecuadorian dish called fanesca. In Ecuador, the word for "fig leaf gourd" is sambo. So the team was just trying to make it an absolute possibility that somebody in Ecuador or with a knowledge of Ecuadorian cuisine would be able to flex their knowledge in the most authentic way in this game.

Fig leaf gourds do look [http://www.magicgardenseeds.com/images/product/CUC03/CUC03.jpg] like watermelons, which would account for the appearance. Indeed, the object that shows up when you summon a watermelon in Scribblenauts is the same one that shows up when you summon sambo. It's the same art. "We reuse art," Slaczka said. "Fig leaf gourd looks a lot like a watermelon. It's just an alternative name in a giant list of tens of thousands of names."

Slaczka, who said he didn't even know what "sambo" meant as a slur until now, went on to explain that his company is far from racist by citing the fact that many of the characters in Scribblenauts and previous 5th Cell games are black. That's kind of a flimsy defense, and an unnecessary one. This just seems like a random and unfortunate accident. Someone probably should have red flagged this during development, but when you're dealing with 22,000 words or whatever, I suppose it could get hard to spot the trouble ones.

And yeah, somebody already did a riff on the Kanye West meme [http://i32.tinypic.com/2jgmts.png] with this. So just don't even fire up MS Paint guys.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Huh.

I must get this game. MUST. I have the DSi, probably a bad choice between that and a plain DS, but Scribblenauts just sounds awesome.

And I didn't know Sambo was a racial slur either. Or a watermelon.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
now i think games take so much to be made because they have to nitpick absolutely everything to make sure not to offend someone who is a little too uptight.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
It seems that you can find racism anywhere if you look hard enough.

I do not think that many young people today would have made the connection between that word and its racist origins.

I think it is an overreaction to a quasi-offensive remark. There are only so many sylabbles that the human vocal system can produce, and it is just an unfortunate coincidence.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Keane Ng said:
And yeah, somebody already did a riff on the Kanye West meme [http://i32.tinypic.com/2jgmts.png] with this. So just don't even fire up MS Paint guys.
...Oh, NOW I get it! The same joke was in this week's episode of Unforgotten Realms, but I didn't quite understand it then... that saves me from a whole lot of confusion all day today.

Eldamar

Dec 24, 2008
ok, stuff like this upsets me. Just because something might appear to be racist, unless there's actual hatred behind it, its not racist. He had no idea that it was a slur, so to me, thats not racist. It boils down to: he didn't put it in the game as racist, so it isn't.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
So... when do we get to have a go at Microsoft for selling incomplete and inadequate products?

There are various differences in meaning between languages, and there's no way you can accommodate everybody as some meanings overlap with rude words apparently. Not much we can do about it but try to come to a compromise - as opposed to flinging accusations and starting fights willy nilly over some stupid long forgotten word that I (and probably most people) have never even heard of.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I seriously see nothing wrong with this.

Are all history games racist because they include the Republic of Niger?

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Viruzzo said:
Excuse my naivete, but how is a watermelon tied to afroamerican people?
It is said that blacks LOVE watermelons. And I am sure that many do, but so does a lot of white people.
OT- This is just stupid, I have never heard of that word before, and probably nor have most people. Something is only racist if the intent behind it is racist

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Viruzzo said:
Excuse my naivete, but how is a watermelon tied to afroamerican people?
It's an old stereotype that African Americans love chicken and watermelon.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
*sigh* resorting to the "I have lots of black friends" defence is just a way to dig yourself into a hole unless you're defending yourself against cretins

Mray3460

Jul 27, 2008
I prefer the term "racially insensitive" to "accidentally racist," it's more refined and more descriptive of the situation and actions.

ukslim

Sep 27, 2007
http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/picaninny/ might throw some insight into the sort of stuff this stirs up.