Did Pepsi Rig Its Rock Band Contest?

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Did Pepsi Rig Its Rock Band Contest?

Pepsi's Rock Band contest, which handed out free DLC songs to seemingly everyone who entered, was a real jackpot - that is at least until it suspiciously stopped giving out songs and instant winners became instant losers.

Even if you're the kind of person who loves Coke and hates Pepsi, or just hates soda altogether, there was a lot to love about Pepsi's Rock Band contest this summer. The company was giving away 5,000 Rock Band DLC songs a day in addition to other prizes. All you had to do was punch in an entry code from the bottom of a Pepsi bottle cap, get entry points and you could win. You did win. According to this report [http://5frets.com/95/pepsi-rock-band-contest-everyones-an-instant-loser/] on Rock Band / Guitar Hero resource site 5Frets, people had nearly 100% win rates.

Considering a Rock Band song costs roughly $2.00 and a bottle of Pepsi about $1.45 give or take, these were substantial savings. Rot your teeth and get free playable tunes? Sweet deal, right? And people took to it, with members of communities on the Rock Band site and Cheap Ass Gamer enjoying the promotion, and an "underground market" in Pepsi caps even forming for Wii owners, who would receive 200 Wii Points (spendable on anything) for their less-than-two-bucks Pepsis.

The Summer of Rock Band Songs came to an abrupt halt, however, in the last two days of the contest.

Last Saturday, on the second-to-last day of the contest, the contest website apparently stopped handing out winners, with the last report of a winner being around midnight. The site was still deducting game points, it just wasn't returning any wins - "No points available for instant win" was the error message that would appear. According to Pepsi, there was some sort of incident on Saturday and "site maintenance" would have taken care of it.

On Sunday, things got more suspicious. Players reported that the site was behaving mysteriously. When a code was entered the site would immediately go to the "you lose" screen. Some players speculated that the suspiciously immediate "you lose" indicated that the site wasn't even checking to see if your code was a winner any more.

Making matters worse, Pepsi's contest rules stated that if there weren't 5000 codes given away on a single day, those leftovers would all be given away on Sunday, the last day of the contest. Players expecting a massive amount of wins on Sunday, then, were sorely disappointed. Said one of those players:

"There go 240 codes down the drain. **** YOU PEPSI, **** YOU."

It all seems pretty fishy. Maybe there was some problem with the site, maybe not. I don't understand why Pepsi would let the contest run the way it did all summer and then just decide to pull the plug at the very last minute. Did any of you guys try out this contest and get screwed by it or otherwise? And do you have any leftover Pepsi you don't want anymore?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I don't think it's worth it. Besides, you can pirate Rock Band 2 DLC on the Wii, so why waste time on Pepsi's contest? Then again, I do live in Dubai, and that's my perception of it all.

UAProxy

Sep 11, 2009
I thought those kinds of things were always rigged. The announced winners in contests never really felt authentic, especially when seen in videos. Always eerily calm and responsible for a member of the general public even though they won thousands of dollars.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
ooooooh I love a good controversy! I wander if FOX will get their hands on this story and over-react the hell out of it?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Simalacrum said:
ooooooh I love a good controversy! I wander if FOX will get their hands on this story and over-react the hell out of it?
We can only hope.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Simalacrum said:
Starke said:
We can only hope.
Fox News Man LIKES this, OH YEAH! Even if he is a cheap clone of Duffman, OH YEAH!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
I don't think it's worth it. Besides, you can pirate Rock Band 2 DLC on the Wii, so why waste time on Pepsi's contest? Then again, I do live in Dubai, and that's my perception of it all.
Just because it's possible to pirate something, doesn't mean that everyone wants to pirate it. Heck, I could probably spot about a thousand loopholes in Walmart security that would let me walk out of the store with nearly anything I wanted without having to pay for it. Doesn't mean I'm gonna start stealing, though.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
Doesn't matter to me anymore.
Now that I will eventually have access to Dungeons & Dragons Soda [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94765-Dungeons-and-Dragons-The-Soda] I see no need to worry about Pepsi ripping people off.

I shall laugh at them and their lack of healing properties!

...At least until they stop making it and I'm left to crawl back to the regular soda brands.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, I got boned on Sunday, but it's no big deal really. I won 50-odd songs over the summer, that's more than enough for me. I still haven't even redeemed them all because I've run out of good songs to choose from. I'll be damned to have fucking Toby Keith show up in a random setlist.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
FloodOne said:
Yeah, I got boned on Sunday, but it's no big deal really. I won 50-odd songs over the summer, that's more than enough for me. I still haven't even redeemed them all because I've run out of good songs to choose from. I'll be damned to have fucking Toby Keith show up in a random setlist.
Toby Keith, on rock band?
you have got to be joking.

Mar 16, 2009
I'm a Pepsi guy, and Pepsi has historically screwed up its promotions. My brother and I actually had a bet over if they would mess this up, and I am now down $10.
However, I got a lot of songs out of the promotion, and drink Pepsi anyway. They screwed me over on my final codes, but whatever, I'm still happy for it.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
FloodOne said:
Toby Keith, on rock band?
you have got to be joking.
I wish I was.

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
How dare they give away free songs all summer and then not do it anymore!?

"There go 240 codes down the drain. **** YOU PEPSI, **** YOU."
Maybe instead of hoarding bottle caps all summer, he should have used them as he got them. Or here's one: spent his money on something else. I am always amazed at how much money gamers have to just throw away on such trivial things. Mommy and Daddy must give a big allowance.

Besides, I'm sure there is some fine print somewhere in the contest rules that say Pepsi has the right to terminate the contest at any time. And rightfully so.