Activision Isn't Planning Any PS3 Bundles for Modern Warfare 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Activision Isn't Planning Any PS3 Bundles for Modern Warfare 2

With the Modern Warfare 2 250GB Xbox 360 bundle tantalizing gamers who have yet to buy Microsoft's entrant in the console wars, it's surprising to hear that Activision is planning no such bundle for Sony's PS3.

Yesterday, we got a look at the nifty Modern Warfare 2 Xbox 360 bundle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94749-Modern-Warfare-2s-Limited-Edition-360-Bundle-Does-It-Big], with two controllers, a headset, a copy of the game (of course), and a sleek black MW2-styled 360 with a whopping 250GB hard drive. It's admittedly pretty cool - and probably cheaper than buying an Elite, an extra controller, and the game separately, too.

It'd make sense to have Activision planning a similar bundle for the PlayStation 3, wouldn't it? But apparently, it's not in the cards - an Activision rep told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/09/17/activision-has-no-plans-for-modern-warfare-2-bundles-on-ps3/] when asked: "No, there are no plans, but thank you for asking." That doesn't leave much room for error, there.

Still, all is not lost for you Sony hopefuls out there - there are plenty of rumors about impending PS3 bundles [http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/09/08/ps3-slim-to-get-incredible-bundles-this-holiday/] this holiday season as well, including Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, and Tekken 6. But sadly, if you don't have a next-generation system and want to get one for Modern Warfare 2, your choices are to either get the 360 bundle, or to buy the game and console separately. Oh well.

Bobby Kotick must still be mad at them [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92530-Update-Activision-Might-Have-to-Stop-Supporting-Sony].

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Thats stupid. If you have one of, if not THE most anticipated game of the year being released as part as a console bundle, surely it would make sense to do the same with the other. Activision, what is your logic?

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
Thats stupid. If you have one of, if not THE most anticipated game of the year being released as part as a console bundle, surely it would make sense to do the same with the other. Activision, what is your logic?
Favoritism? Spite? Maybe they are just messing with us.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
That's because Activision are dick-heads, why can't we always come to that conclusion? The PS3 isn't a failure, or else nobody would buy it and the PS3 wouldn't have got a slim release, so Activvision can suck it. This is one of the reasons why I won't be buying it, because I'm not giving Kotick any money, the fuck-head.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
I wonder if Activision is planning on increasing the price of the UK bundle by 50% also.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Ok the thing about themed consoles is what if the game turns out to be crap? I know that MW2 looks brilliant, but what if it turns out to be a Halo 3. Good, but not as ground breaking as planned. Then you're left playing a mediocre game on a mediocre console (or you could buy a Wii *Budum Tish*)

morpher80

Nov 11, 2007
Well that sucks it just proves how much more game companys like the 360 more than the ps3 which is unfair in many ways but atleast there realeasing the game for the ps3

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Mornelithe said:
I think it's mainly because Sony has plans for 4 or 5 250g bundles, for it's own IP. Gran Turismo, Uncharted 2, PlayTV, and another one I can't remember.
They also have a Final Fantasy XIII bundle set to hit Japan this year, and probably have plans to bring that one over to NA as well.

In all honesty, it would be a bonehead PR move to NOT bring it over... so there's a good chance we won't see it here in NA. It would be classic Sony behavior.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
Ps3 just came out with the slim so it may just be too late and inconvenient to design the box set art and packaging to get them on store shelves in time.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
I can't believe Kotick is mad at Sony because of the PS3's price point. He's the guy who talked about squeezing 500 smackers in a $50 game, and would want to raise game prices even higher if he could. The hypocrisy is just painful.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Ugh, it looks like the 360 gets more favoritism. Anti-flame statement: I would say the same if the roles were reversed.
I just hope to god that the PC version is not screwed over because so help me if it is I will personally murder Kotick and Infinity Ward. IMO, no prestige for CoD4? What was that? CoD originated on PC and the series was largely PC based until 4, so why is it all of a sudden PC gamers aren't cool enough? Especially when we are all ten times better than whatever scrubs MLG throws up.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
WanderFreak said:
Wow, this is crazy. Why would you make something like this a console exclusive?
I would just like to point out that the game is available on PC.

But I still agree with your general sentiment. Limiting a game like this, especially when the game is being sold separately for the console, seems like a move just to anger Sony.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
If you already have a console, why does it matter? I'm not sure if a bundle would cause me to purchase a new console, but I can see why some people are disappointed.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
i would normally say unlucky ps3 owners and laugh because it seems im quickly becoming a 360 fanboy.But this is the whole point activison are so close to evil in the gaming world i wouldnt be surpised if they announced thet were makeing a death star next.All follow gamersh should stand up as there only see one thing and thats sales and if there sales fall they will take notice.So dont buy MW2 people for the sake of gaming everywhere