Everquest Underfoot Delayed Until December 15

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Everquest Underfoot Delayed Until December 15

Underfoot, the latest add-on for Sony Online Entertainment's unimaginably prolific massively multplayer online roleplaying game Everquest, has been delayed until December 15.

Originally scheduled for release on November 24, EQ Underfoot marks the 16th expansion for the original Everquest. Though it has fallen by the wayside in recent years, Everquest was the game that really established the concept of the massively multiplayer online roleplaying game in the eyes of the general public, thus leading to the wildly lucrative market shared by current heavyweights like Champions Online, Final Fantasy XI and of course, World of Warcraft.

"To ensure that we can give our players the best possible gameplay experience and the amount of content that they've come to expect, we felt it was necessary to move the launch date for Underfoot to December 15, 2009," reads the official announcement [http://eqplayers.station.sony.com/news_article.vm?id=51633] splashed on the website of Everquest operator Sony Online Entertainment.

In an effort to avoid fan backlash, SOE is offering players a chance to access the expansion content a full week ahead of schedule, if they are able to complete the three "Road To Underfoot" events [http://everquest.station.sony.com/expansions/underfoot/index.vm] by December 1.

Tis' truly noble of SOE to try to appease fans who might be incensed by the delay, but realistically, anyone still playing the original Everquest -- a game that is now more than a decade old -- is going to exhibit the sort of terrifying brand loyalty that drove the Marlboro man to die of lung cancer.

You'd have to beat these people off with a stick to convince them to stop playing Everquest.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
Sixteen expansions, holy crap. And they're still going after the release of Everquest II in 2004...

Honestly, I think you'd need more than a stick to stop the EQ fanbase from playing.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
I stopped playing around Expansion #86...

The updates, the expansions.. EQ COULD be more cheaper then WoW.. but having that many expansions really makes it unlikely >.< (I know they are not mandatory, but really, do you want to be the only schmuck without a certain expansion when your buddies go out grinding in an area you can't access?)

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
"You'd have to beat these people off with a stick to convince them to stop playing Everquest."
im on it.....

Feb 13, 2008
VitusPrime said:
IF the contents good, Nice enjoy EQ Fans
If not, Enjoy The forum complaints EQ Fans
You've not played EQ have you?

Either way there will be enjoyment and complaints. EQ are far more vocal than the WoW lot purely because they have to be.

And it's still a better game imho.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Holy crap this game is still alive? Thor's Hammer it's been a long time...

LockHeart

Apr 9, 2009
Amnestic said:
Holy crap this game is still alive? Thor's Hammer it's been a long time...
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Though I guess it's nicknamed 'Evercrack' for a reason...

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
VitusPrime said:
IF the contents good, Nice enjoy EQ Fans
If not, Enjoy The forum complaints EQ Fans
You've not played EQ have you?

Either way there will be enjoyment and complaints. EQ are far more vocal than the WoW lot purely because they have to be.

And it's still a better game imho.
And since SOE failed to promote their own boards (unlike the newer mmos, like WoW) they have no control over what is said on the major class boards. Though you can generally tell what kind of player a person is by their class in that game now. Paladins in most games are a pretty nice class to play, in EQ, paladins are a joke. They have rested on the laurels of one ability that has been dragging them down for years and every time there has been an attempt to fix it, the paladins as a class have united to screw themselves yet again with their whining. The devs added to the joke when they made the paladin class mount a unicorn.

SOE has a divine trinity of classes in EQ (that has been reduced to a divine duo the last few expansions) of the warrior, cleric and enchanter. The game is completely broken for the knight tanks because of a warrior ability that allows them to mitigate so much of the incoming damage that the devs have to plan encounters around it and up the damage so the warriors take the right amount of damage. Clerics since the beginning have had this spell called "complete heal" (that is anything but complete NOW, but when it was made was more than enough) that the devs would take out if they thought they could get away with it.

The code is over 10 years old now and it's almost impossible to do anything with it because the original developers didn't map the program properly. It's a miracle the game even runs any more.

This expansion isn't being delayed for quality reasons boys and girls, it's being delayed because they haven't started working on it yet. Normally the beta is already pretty far advanced, but this time it hasn't even started. The devs (the 4 or 5 left) don't have time or resources to do their jobs, and it's finally showing. Good work killing your cash cow SOE (EQ still has the highest subscription numbers of any of SOE's pay games.)

Feb 13, 2008
And it's still more fun to play than World of Borecraft. Just a shame Vanguard didn't stick with it, and kick the game-dissolvers SOE out before POK.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I didn't even know people still played EQ. I always thought it died in some horrific accident.

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I'm surprised the game is still running. o_O

Then again, people still play the "Ultima Online" game. *shrugs.*