Square Enix President Has Doubts About Motion Controls

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Square Enix President Has Doubts About Motion Controls

Sony and Microsoft may be pinning a lot of their hopes on new motion control systems but Square Enix [http://www.square-enix.com/na/] President Yoichi Wada is somewhat less optimistic, saying their ultimate impact "may be small."

After a few years of watching Nintendo rule the roost with the Wii [http://www.wii.com], both Sony and Microsoft finally bought into the idea that there might be something to all this motion-controlled business after all. Both companies unveiled their own motion-sensing systems at the 2009 E3 and appear to be betting heavily that these new controllers will play a prominent role in attracting a new generation of gamers.

In an interview with the Financial Times [http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/486a3a6c-a602-11de-8c92-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1], however, Wada sounded somewhat less stoked about the idea than his console-making counterparts. "Present game machines already have a lot of functions: they are a network terminal, a Blu-ray or DVD player, and a gaming machine," he said. "Compared to these three pillars, the [new motion] controllers are quite limited, so the impact may be small. They are an extension of the gaming function."

The impact of the devices could be greater, he said, if a solid selection of compelling games is released for them, but noted that designing games that use motion controls is "quite difficult."

Still, he did offer some praise for Project Natal [http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal], Microsoft's motion-sensing controller for the Xbox 360. "As a user interface it's fantastic and I think it will become standard," he said.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
In other words, Nintendo banked on the idea of motion controls, but the useless studios didn't produce any games compelling enough for people to buy, leaving Wii Sports and Wii Fit as the Wii's top games (and one isn't even a game).

Unless Sony and Microsoft can beat their developers with better sticks, their motion control won't fair any better.

DRADIS C0ntact

Mar 26, 2009
I don't plan on using either of these motion control schemes. One of the reasons I got rid of my Wii is because of the motion controls. I prefer a traditional controller in my hands. I think most gamers who own a 360 and/or PS3 do as well.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Well duh, Squenix. It's fad. It'll eventually mostly fade out. It'll still be there, but it won't be some huge thing like so many people thought it was.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Huh. One of Sony's biggest mainstays has nice things to say about Natal.

Cue attempts to discredit him, even though he was only mentioning it from the UI angle, and not a games one.

Anyway, I agree with him. Motion controls will never become the standard control format for gaming: but it can be used to expand gaming's horizons and offer devs new opportunities for methods of input.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Malygris said:
Still, he did offer some praise for Project Natal [http://www.xbox.com/projectnatal], Microsoft's motion-sensing controller for the Xbox 360. "As a user interface it's fantastic and I think it will become standard," he said.
the thing is the PS3 Eye hasn't become the standard and the Wii controller has become more successful, so i doubt Natal will be the standard.

i think the PS3 one will be better, seems like a Wiimote done right

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
I never thought motion control would become the standard, and I laugh at anyone who actually got scared and believed that it might. I see it as a nice alternative every now and then. Motion control will only go as far as the companies push it, so everyone calling motion control a fad, if Nintendo incorporate it into their next consoles, it's not going to go away. Same with the other two.

scotth266 said:
Huh. One of Sony's biggest mainstays has nice things to say about Natal.

Cue attempts to discredit him, even though he was only mentioning it from the UI angle, and not a games one.

Anyway, I agree with him. Motion controls will never become the standard control format for gaming: but it can be used to expand gaming's horizons and offer devs new opportunities for methods of input.
Couldn't have put it better myself. Either way though, it turned into a warzone on Joystiq so...

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
cleverlymadeup said:
the thing is the PS3 Eye hasn't become the standard and the Wii controller has become more successful, so i doubt Natal will be the standard.
I don't know if it's fair to compare the PS3Eye with Natal; Natal has stereo optics (one video camera, one IR camera) and stereo microphones to the Eye's single video camera, so it's ability to capture motion (and speech!) in 3D should be better and it should be able to break the player out from the background more easily.

That being said, I think the limiting factor is going to be the developers as the sweetest UI in the world isn't worth a plug nickel without a good game using it. (But somebody's got to be able to replicate the Minority Report experience with one of these things, right?)

-- Steve

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
He has doubts about motion controls, but he thinks Natal will become standard.

What?

drakenabarion

Demiurge
Sep 11, 2009
When I first say the video for Natal, I was pretty impressed by the idea. Then I realised something. Many of the games I like require the character to run from A to B, shooting things and possible climbing.

How would I control that? I think I wouldn't have the fitness to run on spot the entire time I play a game. Not saying that I am horribly unfit, but I play long enough for it to be a problem with anyone.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Casual Shinji said:

What?
He meant from a UI standpoint. As in, the facial recognition to log in, waving your hand to scroll through menus, voice commands, etc. He wasn't talking about using it as a game controller.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
scotth266 said:
Casual Shinji said:

What?
He meant from a UI standpoint. As in, the facial recognition to log in, waving your hand to scroll through menus, voice commands, etc. He wasn't talking about using it as a game controller.
Hm, strange. Since that's were all my doubts lie.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Glefistus said:
Thank god I play ona PC, the industry is going to hell in a gimmiciky handbasket.
Read what I posted to Casual Shinji above.

Casual Shinji said:
scotth266 said:
Casual Shinji said:

What?
Hm, strange. Since that's were all my doubts lie.
I actually think it's a lot more feasible than the crazy game controller angle. It's very much future tech today... but that only makes it more awesome. It reminds me of the Jetsons: with this and all the advancements in robot technology, perhaps we'll have some robo-butlers sooner than we predicted.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
scotth266 said:
I actually think it's a lot more feasible than the crazy game controller angle. It's very much future tech today... but that only makes it more awesome. It reminds me of the Jetsons: with this and all the advancements in robot technology, perhaps we'll have some robo-butlers sooner than we predicted.
I'll be the first to admit that for games to truly evolve, the controller must change. But it has to remain "in your hands".

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
cleverlymadeup said:
I don't know if it's fair to compare the PS3Eye with Natal; Natal has stereo optics (one video camera, one IR camera) and stereo microphones to the Eye's single video camera, so it's ability to capture motion (and speech!) in 3D should be better and it should be able to break the player out from the background more easily.

That being said, I think the limiting factor is going to be the developers as the sweetest UI in the world isn't worth a plug nickel without a good game using it. (But somebody's got to be able to replicate the Minority Report experience with one of these things, right?)

-- Steve
i don't think it will do well at all. as for the voice recognition, wait till it hits the streets of Glasgow and has to deal with the Glaswegian accent, i think the cases of the RROD of death will increase at that point. the voice won't be as good as they claim, even if it is the training of it will be way too long per person

i don't think the extra camera will really help it out too much either. however it will depend on the games but i don't think developers will really jump onto the bandwagon.

at least with the PS3 Magic Wand they have some games and stuff already planned out

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
The Controller wont be going anywhere for a long time, but eventually motion controls will evolve into those sci-fi styled virtual reality things.

Borntolose

Aug 18, 2008
Ciarang said:
ReverseEngineered said:
Leaving Wii Sports and Wii Fit as the Wii's top games (and one isn't even a game).
Which one ?
Wii Fit.
I think that Sony and Microsoft seem to be doing a better job at motion control than Nintendo and it might actually be good.