Xbox Co-Creator Warns of Developer "Generation Gap"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Xbox Co-Creator Warns of Developer "Generation Gap"

Xbox co-creator Seamus Blackley [http://xbox.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,4967/] has warned about a "generation gap" in game developers and says the industry needs to find new ways to discover and nurture its future talent.

"There's a whole generation of games designer that is is absent. It's like the World War One 19-year-olds, they've vanished. The GamesBeat [http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,4217/] conference. He described the current method of discovering talent as like "taking three great graduates and putting them to work on the next Godfather game," which he said squanders their potential.

"That [approach is] a fine business decision, but the perspective for us is that it is a much better idea to take these three guys who perhaps have a beautiful idea and a different way of working, protect them a little bit as they build up a new idea and a new way of looking at things and a new way of design - and a few years from now they will be a much better business," he added. "In the '90s there was no mechanism to do that - and we lost a generation of designers. I think its important we look to reclaim that new generation."

Blackley was heavily involved in the design and marketing of the original Xbox, after which he left Creative Artists Agency [http://www.microsoft.com], a high-end talent agency with clients including famous actors, athletes and industry figures like Ken Levine and Will Wright.

He said that in order to continue growing the industry had to ensure that it didn't "oppress" new talent by becoming locked in to bad habits. "Great projects happen when a lot of people put a lot of effort into making them happen," he said. "Previously these happened organically but as the model matures and the industry around that matures people become set in their ways."

Source: Develop [http://www.developmag.com/news/31668/Generation-gap-will-hurt-studios-says-Seamus-Blackley]

(photo [http://www.flickr.com/photos/admurder/117279039/])

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Noticed long time ago, that to be hired in the gaming industry is a miracle..

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
raxiv said:
As a person studying to be a games design major, that sentence worries me.

I share the man's concerns though. People need a little breathing room for creativity, something that the current games market does not allow.

seithon

Mar 19, 2009
Again its probably the case that not many people are willing to hire in... I'm training to be a game designer but as part of my course their also including an entire segment for business and economics because when I'm done here, it might just be easier to start my own business...

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
scotth266 said:
raxiv said:
Any hope for myself doing so has long since been extinguished from economic stresses and school. I came to the conclusion the only way I could set myself apart is to have a game done by the time I graduated, or chalk it out as an indie dev. The latter seems less and less plausible as it seems any PC game get pirated to hell and back.

mark0217

Mar 17, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
scotth266 said:
raxiv said:
Any hope for myself doing so has long since been extinguished from economic stresses and school. I came to the conclusion the only way I could set myself apart is to have a game done by the time I graduated, or chalk it out as an indie dev. The latter seems less and less plausible as it seems any PC game get pirated to hell and back.
Which is why you develop for these new venues popping out (digital distribution on consoles pretty much ensures you won't be robbed of your product, on PC you will get robbed of course). I'm not 100% sure how it actually works on the side of the $$$ tho.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
I remember someone like Yu Suzuki lamenting this earlier, though his perspective on it was strictly that it's happening in Japan.

raxiv said:
It's not that getting hired is the problem, well, compared to any other industry that is. The games industry is always hurting for good programmers and artists. It's that getting to a position where your decisions actually matter in the design of the game is the hard part.

It also seems to me that a lot of the possible upcoming big names come from outside the so called industry. Guys like Derek Yu and Jonathan Mak could be the next generation of great game developers. They do games, sure, but they don't really seem to be working for any big company or doing games for anyone but themselves. Just a thought to hold onto.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
mark0217 said:
Which is why you develop for these new venues popping out (digital distribution on consoles pretty much ensures you won't be robbed of your product, on PC you will get robbed of course). I'm not 100% sure how it actually works on the side of the $$$ tho.
XNA runs roughly $100 (Seems like a stand-in for proper XDK, price is also for a premium membership.) An Xbox runs between $200 and $400 at the local electronics retailer, since I do not currently own one. (Hypothetically, one could always emulate it, but the target console is a must for proper testing.)

PS3 seems worse. Not sure if they have an open development tool like XNA, but the proper SDK seems to run about $8600.

Now let's take a look at Windows. DirectX SDK is... free(with genuine windows.) Assuming you want a pre-made engine, that will cost $20ish since Valve and Epic release an SDK with their games, more if you want to license them for commercial distribution.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Honestly, squandering talent seems to be the big thing this year. Schools do it to creativity by drowning students in homework and no field trips (something I greatly disapprove of), and gaming companies suppress talent with endless remakes and ripoffs.

mark0217

Mar 17, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
mark0217 said:
XNA runs roughly $100 (Seems like a stand-in for proper XDK, price is also for a premium membership.) An Xbox runs between $200 and $400 at the local electronics retailer, since I do not currently own one. (Hypothetically, one could always emulate it, but the target console is a must for proper testing.)

PS3 seems worse. Not sure if they have an open development tool like XNA, but the proper SDK seems to run about $8600.

Now let's take a look at Windows. DirectX SDK is... free(with genuine windows.) Assuming you want a pre-made engine, that will cost $20ish since Valve and Epic release an SDK with their games, more if you want to license them for commercial distribution.
Look on your face when you see your game all over TPB: $priceless :p
You have to weight in the pros and cons of every business venue, and if I were a programmer, I'd probably try to stick to consoles making a small investment that will pay off in the long run anyways.
Of course, I would still have to stand out from every other indie of corporate dev =_=