Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

I'd call Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 the best superhero game I'd played this month, but that would be a lie.

Read Full Article

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I'm still waiting to see if they add Cable as DLC, I know they have him as a boss.

He's my favorite time traveling, gun toting, wannabe mutant messiah, foster father (to the real mutant messiah) badass.

Edit: And sure Iron Man seems like a dick, but his role in the civil is not enviable. Despite the whole gitmo thing the pro-registration camp had, Captain America and the new avengers (as opposed the eventual mighty avengers) seemed to be fighting just for the sake of it, not following public opinion, causing a lot of unnecessary conflict.

Man I've read too many comics in the last 3weeks.

Edit2: Way to make the Sentry a DS exclusive marvel

Feb 13, 2008
hehehe. Totally agree about Iron Man, but then I wouldn't want Cap on my side either.

Can't I just pick Magneto, Rogue, Psylocke and Dazzler?

Actually, strike that: Black Bolt and Dazzler + a "Venom"d Hulk as backup.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
The only thing I was thinking the whole way through was, Why is Captain America leading the Anti-registration team?
Surely all of america already knows who he is...?
(Unless my lack of knowledge about the Captain is that obvious now :p)

I also agree with The_root_of_all_evil on the Symbiote Hulk thing.
That's the embodiment of awesome and overpowered.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
"Oh, not because he's bad or anything, but because he's just kind of a dick."

Truer words my friend. He truly was the villain of the Civil War saga. Thanks for the review, I might check this out.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Nice review. I felt this way about the first one, actually.
But I've also heard there are some pretty serious bugs in the game as well?
Could this be true?

Woem

May 28, 2009
This games looks pretty awesome. So the enemy is the other faction? We could create the New Avengers and have them fight the Mighty Avengers for instance?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Nice review. I felt this way about the first one, actually.
But I've also heard there are some pretty serious bugs in the game as well?
Could this be true?
Oh yeah. There's some bugs in the game. The usual graphic glitches,freezing during unexpected times. I'm waiting for a patch until then, I'll just play it at my friends house.

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
Im probably going to buy this, I really enjoyed the first Ultimate Alliance, and this seems to just be building on that winning formula, by the way, is it still for all consoles, or did it become an exclusive?

-This-is-Hip-Hop

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Alright, this sealed the deal for me. I'm picking this up when it comes out tomorrow.

Also, while not having read ALL of the Civil War stuff, in my eyes Cap is the unlikable dick, not Stark.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Ugh, worse than the first one?

I have a warm fuzzy for Raven after the surprisingly good XMO:Wolverine, but MUA1 sucked. I'm a big Marvel fan, always have been, but I just couldn't see the appeal in this top-down game with mediocre graphics, cheesy storylines and boring dialogue. Fights resembled a rugby scrum and it was often difficult, if not impossible, to tell who was doing what to whom.

The only pleasure I got out of the game was seeing old marvel villians crawl out of the woodwork. Whoa, Modok! That was a blast from the past.

I'm sure I'll rent it; I'm equally sure I won't buy it.

EDIT: Eh, actually the graphics look better than the first. Hmm. Okay, reserve judgement until I try it out.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Did anyone else hear that last line? It was punny

(OUCH! I know I should've gone for that health meter enlargement I saw in that email)

Anyway the game looks big enough and cool enough. Only I'm not really into brawlers..

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
I enjoyed the frist one, and I probably will the second one. I know that it's not great but it's one of the best games about Marvel Universe I've seen :p

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Archemetis said:
The only thing I was thinking the whole way through was, Why is Captain America leading the Anti-registration team?
Surely all of america already knows who he is...?
(Unless my lack of knowledge about the Captain is that obvious now :p)

I also agree with The_root_of_all_evil on the Symbiote Hulk thing.
That's the embodiment of awesome and overpowered.
Yeah, but he was fighting for everyone's right to their own lives.

In fact, I'm wondering if they're including when Spiderman unmasked in front of the world. That was retconned when One More Day... came out, I think.

Anyway. Deadpool.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I have played through the game with buddies once and found no bugs or glitches. I really liked it and the changes but it felt... shorter than the first one. And while a very good game that you can play through a few times it just didn't have that big epic feel.

I do like one big thing though. In the first three games (the x-men ledgends that came out befor MUA) There were always a handful of characters that sucked out loud and you will never ever use them. Usually about 3-5 of them. This one only had one character who I felt was utterly worthless to use.

(Hint: He's super stretchy)

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
if i choose the Captain America site, does it mean i can go around all day singing "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" while kicking major arse?

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Christemo said:
if i choose the Captain America site, does it mean i can go around all day singing "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" while kicking major arse?
Well I can't imagine why not!

I was really on the edge of getting this but I've come to trust Funk's reviews so I'll wait til it comes down to $20 or so. But still the story... pro-reg/anti-reg, Captain America on the anti-reg side... oh man that's cool I really want to play that. And it looks pretty fun.

ActualOvaltine

Jul 1, 2009
Christemo said:
That is what I did. Especially when you shield bash someone as Captain America. Or playing as Iron Man on the Pro Registration, start sprouting off Liberty Prime lines. "EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED"