Give Me a Win Button

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Give Me a Win Button

Shamus wants his cheat codes and difficulty levels back. Oh, and a push-to-win button.

Read Full Article

Jul 9, 2008
Very nice article, I agree. Sometimes, the difficulty of a game is what I'm there for, but more often it's the story, or the setting, or the characters, you get the idea.

violentstatistics

Sep 25, 2009
I completely agree. This is especially true for me in the GTA games, I loved breezing through Vice City and San Andreas using all the fun cheats and not having to worry about how much money I have or how much ammo I have left. The devs actually gave you freedom to pick and choose which missions you wanted to complete. Then GTA4 came along and the pissed off repeated mission attempts began, and after finishing the game I couldnt even mess around by rendering other people's cars weightless.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
Well SORRY if my slideshow of Paris was a little boring!

Seriously, good read and I agree.

Someperson307

Dec 19, 2008
I get what you mean. About everyone probably knows of Demons Souls right now, and how it's VERY hard. I have it pre-ordered, but I'm a tad worried that it will be too hard to enjoy. There should be an Easy option, but there is isn't. And I'm willing to bet that fans of the game would oppose an Easy difficulty. That's simply illogical.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
One more thing. There's no excuse anymore for a game not letting you switch difficulties midstream. "Easy", "Normal" and "Hard" are only meaningful relative to each other and tell me nothing about which difficulty is appropriate for me. If the difficulty i pick is too easy, i have to play through the game again to be challenged. if it ends up being too hard, i have to throw away my progress and start over.

Vanillaware games aren't really notable for their technical or gameplay design, but they implement difficulty levels perfectly. Muramasa's two difficulty levels are almost completely different games, but they still let you switch between them any time outside of battle.

if you have a game, and a few variables are the only difference between the difficulties, then there's no reason i shouldn't be able to switch them on the fly.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Blazing Angels 2 may have had an awkward adapatation to the PC, and overall the game was nearing bland and bad at points, but I am more than willing to repeatedly forgive it because not only does it give me a fantastically fun Arcade-style 3rd Person airplane shoot-em-up, but also the "trigger_damage" cheat that enables your machine guns to hit as hard as they would in real life. (single bullet to a Battleship exempt)
I find it justifiable to have a grand boss battle in the end but really it's just a lot more fun for me to know that I already have that baddie wrapped around my finger begging for mercy before I even open fire, giving me the opportunity to examine how cool and/or ridiculous their craft looks.
It's a fun game.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Shamus, you been talking to Susan lately? Because she wrote an article just about the same thing. We had a difference in opinion, and now she won't talk to me anymore... :(

She insisted on installing stuff into the core gameplay to make it easier for new players to stroll through the game, one of them was what she called the "What Should I Be Doing Now?" button, which is essentially the WIN button you described, in games where you need to figure out what to do yourself.

I said to her the same thing: this already exists. The things that help you finish a game without much effort. Trainers, walkthroughs, guides, stuff like that. If I can't find cheats to a game I stuck in, I just get a walkthrough or a trainer. Difficulty levels became very vague and arbitrary nowadays, you are right about that. The easy difficulty usually means a lot less and totally retarded enemies to fight, and the hard mode has a little more, tougher ones, but not like, say, ten years ago, when the easy meant "piece of cake for experienced players", and hard meant "totally impossible".

On the other hand, I'm just the gamer you described. In FPS games, I usually use the god mode cheat, or a trainer, just because I hate to die and load a game from half an hour before, just because I usually forget to save, and a LOT can happen in 20-30 mins in a FPS. But in RPGs and strategies I NEVER cheat, I don't know why, but it seems just wrong.

I'm more like the "tourist" you described, I like to stroll through some games, experience the story, meet the characters, etc, without pressure. In other games, I like the challenge more.

Mashirafen

Sep 21, 2009
Very much agreed. I still go back and play some of my older games just to mess around with the cheats and so on, because while I love the games played normally, it's great to take a break from that and be silly.
I also think that if you have the pressure of difficulty on you all the time, you'll fail to notice interesting details in the game world and so on, because you're focussed solely on how to get past a certain section successfully.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I've got to agree.. There are games where hardcore difficulty is appropriate, but today ALL games are difficult.

Jesus, even final boss in Trine(((

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Playbahnosh said:
Shamus, you been talking to Susan lately? Because she wrote an article just about the same thing. We had a difference in opinion, and now she won't talk to me anymore... :(

She insisted on installing stuff into the core gameplay to make it easier for new players to stroll through the game, one of them was what she called the "What Should I Be Doing Now?" button, which is essentially the WIN button you described, in games where you need to figure out what to do yourself.

I said to her the same thing: this already exists. The things that help you finish a game without much effort. Trainers, walkthroughs, guides, stuff like that. If I can't find cheats to a game I stuck in, I just get a walkthrough or a trainer. Difficulty levels became very vague and arbitrary nowadays, you are right about that. The easy difficulty usually means a lot less and totally retarded enemies to fight, and the hard mode has a little more, tougher ones, but not like, say, ten years ago, when the easy meant "piece of cake for experienced players", and hard meant "totally impossible".

On the other hand, I'm just the gamer you described. In FPS games, I usually use the god mode cheat, or a trainer, just because I hate to die and load a game from half an hour before, just because I usually forget to save, and a LOT can happen in 20-30 mins in a FPS. But in RPGs and strategies I NEVER cheat, I don't know why, but it seems just wrong.

I'm more like the "tourist" you described, I like to stroll through some games, experience the story, meet the characters, etc, without pressure. In other games, I like the challenge more.
You seem like a rational person so maybe you can explain why you are opposed to the "win" button as Susan described if it wouldn't affect you. It isn't like such a function would be in all modes just easy and optional. I can understand saying no way if it was in all modes of all games and there was no way around it. I just don't understand the opposition over something that is available but optional.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I have to agree I enjoy looking through scenery and such. I don't like some of the newer games that decide to make it harder to be a tourist through the game. hence why I am replaying old games that have cheat codes if i want them

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
One thing I do enjoy about L4D, is it keeps the cheats available, and you can change the difficulty in the middle of a campaign. Which can lead to fun of a different variety, when there is just one survivor, and the dead survivors vote to raise the difficulty to expert. Fun times.
There is still one everlasting constant: the computer cheats. With that there should always be a red button for the player, call it the manual override switch in case of 'computer l33tness'. If a game doesn't provide that, then how the hell did the testers get far enough in to know the game was done well enough?

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
i dont know what your talking about.... about 80% of the games that came out this decade were piss easy.... since halo we have regenerating health and checkpoints and stuff ....
games like mario and sonic were the challenge.. limited lives and no cheats .

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I'm of two minds on this topic.

Some of my most memorable moments of my gaming career were overcoming great odds.

Recently, I beat Grand Theft Auto 4 (Say what you will, that last mission was a real pain in the butt). It was my first real Grand Theft Auto Finish, and I spent the better part of two days working on that last mission to get it down, and when I did it, I was jubilant. It was a great relief of stress.

I also beat Mass Effect on Hardcore Difficulty to unlock my final achievement, and that too was pretty difficult, but when I did it, jubilation.

I remember playing Breath of Fire 2 as a Youngin, and I remember fighting a boss for hours. I had a whole bunch of friends coming and going from the room, checking on my progress... Eventually, when I won, it was a huge event.

All of that being said, I usually will throw a game on the easiest setting if it's in a genre I'm not accustomed to. Shooters for instance, I don't have a lot of fun getting shot to ribbons, and most of my jubilant "omg hard" moments are from games that aren't particularly renowned for being hard.

So, I like overcoming a challenge, but challenges that are at my level of challenge - reasonably doable, but still takes a while to do.

lluewhyn

Aug 26, 2008
I don't play enough recent games to know how their difficulty settings work, but games were plenty hard back in the day too. If you follow the TV Tropes explanation, "Nintendo Hard" existed to encourage more game sales by discouraging game rentals.

I do agree that I also have looked back at the times I was younger and spent hours trying to get past a single point and consider it wasted time. Nowadays, I'll just chuck the game rather than dealing with that kind of frustration. It's a shame, because I'd actually like to be able to see the end of the game.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
squid5580 said:
You seem like a rational person so maybe you can explain why you are opposed to the "win" button as Susan described if it wouldn't affect you. It isn't like such a function would be in all modes just easy and optional. I can understand saying no way if it was in all modes of all games and there was no way around it. I just don't understand the opposition over something that is available but optional.
I'm not against the WIN button (or some definitions of it anyway), like I said, I use trainers and cheats my selfm if and when I feel like it. The argument with Susan was about getting into bigger AAA and hardcore games as newbies, making them "accessible" to the more casual crowd, learning the controls like analog sticks on the console controllers, learning core gameplay elements in different genres, etc. But in some games, the "What should I do?" button defeats the purpose, when the game's goal is find that out yourself, like in certain adventure games and RPGs. At some point in the game, you might get stuck, that what walkthroughs are for, it's not a new concept. But when it's incorporated into the game, new players tend to overuse that feature, rather than try to actually think. And in some games, even that button is pointless, when there are multiple choices and different ways to complete the game, based on your decisions. When the game tells you exactly what to do (in a game where the goal is for you to think), it becomes a simple game of "Simon says", going from point A to B without any effort on the player's part.

That's the problem with god modes and all-access cheats. In some games, it might be even considerable to use them, but, again, in some games, it defeats the purpose, when the game's main concept is to try and stay alive, like in survival games. Sure, you can god mode yourself through Silent Hill 2, but takes the Silent Hill out of the game.

So, yes, these things have a place in games, but enforcing minimal use would be a good idea to prevent the abuse thereby prevent the players to ruin the game for themselves, since games get entirely different when you play with cheats. It's a double-edged sword, because if the new players get used to these crutches and constant help, cheats, they end up depending on them, and they will never learn to play for real. They won't experience any game the way the creators intended, and they will constantly play a different (bleaker, watered down) game, and never experience the "real" deal. Like they say, give the man a fish, and he is fed for one day, teach him to fish and he is fed for the rest of his life.

Remember, back 10 years ago, easy difficulty wasn't even that easy, you had to try your best to complete them, and even then, some games scolded or ridiculed you for playing on easy mode, and totally scorned you for using cheats, labeling you a cheater and you wouldn't get your score (like in Blood 3D). You had incentive to try and play on your own, in normal mode. In adventure games, if you got stuck, without internet, you had no access to walkthoughs, you had no other choice but pixel-hunting and rubbing every inventory item against everything to see if anything happens. And don't get me started on RPGs, simulators and strategy games. THE HORROR!

Yes, these games were difficult to play, let alone master, but once you did, that tremendous sense of victory and accomplishment was our compensation, our trophy. Once you finally won that two hour long battle in StarCraft, once you managed to defeat Diablo in nightmare difficulty after the 1000th try, it's priceless. Lame and arbitrary achievement points and gamescores cannot compete with that. And these WIN button elements just discourage effort IMHO.