Future Fables May Use Natal

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Future Fables May Use Natal

Future installment of Lionhead's open-world, sinks & sorcery game Fable may use Microsoft's upcoming motion controls.

We've all seen the Natal presentations, in which a very enthusiastic Peter Molyneux extols the virtues of Microsoft's motion controller with the aid of a digital puppet called Milo. So then, it should come as no surprise that Molyneux's studio is keen on adopting the technology.

Speaking during the Tokyo Gaming Show, Microsoft Game Studios Vice-President Phil Spencer talked about Lionhead in glowing terms. "You know, Lionhead's been a real innovation studio for us," he said. "Fable 2, I thought, was a great release, with the orbs they added with Live, adding new functionality to the franchise. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Natal found its way into future iterations of Fable."

Considering that Fable 2 seemed to be less about the actual nuts and bolts of an adventure and more about presenting a world for players to interact with, it's hard to disagree with Spencer's assessment, especially when you take into account Molyneux's ebullient personality. Personally, I think that a Natal-enabled Fable sounds like a great idea. The dog from Fable 2 with a massive increase in interactivity? Count me in.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/24/microsofts-phil-spencer-easily-envisions-fable-natal-crossover/] via Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/32908/Lionheads-Fable-franchise-may-adopt-Natal]

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
I am not so sure about this whole Natal thing.... For one thing, how would you walk in game? keep walking toward you tv? jog in place? how do you switch weapons? access the menu? either way, there will no doubt be issues...

so long as they dont make Natal mandatory, i wont rag on it too much...

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
GamerLuck said:
I am not so sure about this whole Natal thing.... For one thing, how would you walk in game? keep walking toward you tv? jog in place? how do you switch weapons? access the menu? either way, there will no doubt be issues...

I doubt they would have you use Natal to preform those types of actions.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
The question stands though, what would they have you use it for?

I foresee minigams... terrible, waggle replaced gimmicky minigames...

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Well, I'm not sure who didn't see this one coming, not to be rude but I thought it was agiven.

I doubt I'll be doing it unless its mandatory though.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
sunami88 said:
Internet Kraken said:

Oh god. That would make the mindless repetitive jobs even more frustrating.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
sunami88 said:
Internet Kraken said:

Best case scenario, proper diplomacy, the ability to actually tell NPCs they can go take it up the jacksie, and other good things.

Worst case? "Turn the crank by moving your fist counter-clockwise" or something similar...

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
GamerLuck said:
I am not so sure about this whole Natal thing.... For one thing, how would you walk in game? keep walking toward you tv? jog in place?
In the VR games that came out in the mid-'90s you'd make a fist and then point the direction you wanted to "fly", moving in the direction of your pointed finger. That, or there'd be a button on your prop weapon for "move forward". (Hey, there's no problem with combining systems... it's not like Natal makes it impossible to use a controller with it.)

I see one advantage that Natal has over those old VR games; no headaches. (Wearable displays in the '90s weren't exactly lightweight and high-resolution...)

-- Steve

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
GamerLuck said:

In Fable specifically? Well, your weapons were crossed across your back, so I imagine you'd just reach for them

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
so any Fable games that came out before could be called..Pre-Natal?

(dies of laughter)

sorry..couldn't resist.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
GamerLuck said:

Exactly. That's why I think that Sony's majigger would be better. Sony could always release a sort of suit, with joint sensors which makes it just as flexible as Natal. Then the sword/gun/shield/wand etc. could have those lovely boobs that joysticks have nowadays, for movement.

It could obviously go the other way around, adding a joystick to the Natal. But as it is a camera, and not sensors, objects could end up blocking.

or summeh'.

The only thing I want motion control to control, is movements. Like chops and blocks. Not a intelligent gesture system, to, say, access inventory or communicating with NPC's. However, making hand gestures would fit perfectly with spells, and the like.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
I'm not sold on Natal. I like Fable the way it's currently controlled (although I prefer the first's control to the second's). Natal would probably just muck things up. Although I would like to see them make a Black and White 3 with Natal, using hand symbols to perform certain actions.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I don't really want to have anything to do with motion sensitive controls by now. They are just still to iffy and imprecise for real control. It sounds good in theory, but the practice isn't even close to catching up. I certainly don't mind them including the motion controls, just so long as the game is completely playable without them.

Malevolent Stranger

Jun 28, 2009
I'm not buying Natal. The Wii has shown me personally how shit the motion sensitive controls are, and I'm in no light to butcher my favorite console with them.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
At the moment I'm dreaming of a world where you put on a mask and you are instantly transported into a game, where you really are your character. You can move your arms like you do in real life, you can talk to people like you'd do in real life, basically you would actually BE your created character.

Then again after prolong usage it would be hard to distinguish reality from that game. And hell, what if somebody hacks into your mind and starts controlling you?...what was I talking about?