Final Fantasy XIII Has Transformers

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Final Fantasy XIII Has Transformers

Do you feel like watching seven minutes' worth of obscenely pretty Final Fantasy XIII footage from TGS - in a combination of cutscenes, gameplay and transforming hot rods? Yes, yes you do.

*WARNING: SPOILERS?*

The above trailer is entirely in Japanese - not a lick of English to be found - so if you're looking for, you know, actual plot details (and can't speak Japanese) you might be out of luck for the moment. Still, it's not hard to get the general gist of some things, though I'm surprised they'd spoil what looks like a fairly significant development or two in a preliminary trailer. Are we supposed to know who hooks up with each other already?

Things I've learned from the trailer in question: First, leading lady Lightning performs percussive maintenance on machines by hitting them with her sword (and it seems to work). Second, evil glasses-wearing femmes fatales with swords are hot. Third, the developers have managed to render male nipples in disturbing fidelity. Fourth, gravity in the world of FF13 seems to be completely optional (if the combat system is any indication). Fifth, the one black guy with the Funny Afro [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FunnyAfro] drives a freakin' Transformer.

Strangely enough, the combat system reminds me of Super Robot Taisen OG: Endless Frontier - based around juggling your enemies and switching characters mid-combo. It looks more action-oriented than your standard Final Fantasy game, which can only be a good thing. Okay, so I don't actually know what the characters are actually doing in combat, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look kind of cool.

Maybe the overwrought emotion and heavy Tetsuya Nomura aesthetic aren't your thing - and that's totally fine, since I don't think they're my thing, either - but there's one thing for sure: You can say a great deal of things about Final Fantasy XIII, but one thing you can't say is that the game isn't beautiful. Seriously, this footage (pre-rendered though some of it may be) is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Looks like they've gone back to fixed battle positions...was the movement in battle they had in FFXII not well received by fans?

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Is it just me, or does this seem like Soap Opera: The Final Fantasy?
Maybe it is because I am guessing on the words and all, but the acting seems cheesy and downright painfull.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
God DAMN! They've really upped the ante on the cutscenes this time around!

It's certainly a step up from this:

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
hansari said:
Looks like they've gone back to fixed battle positions...was the movement in battle they had in FFXII not well received by fans?
Some loved it, but the majority hated it. I'm in the majority.

Also, the first cinematic seems to be an homage to FFVII's scene at the Golden Saucer when you ride around the fireworks with your date of choice (Aeris, Tifa, or Barrett).

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Maybe the overwrought emotion and heavy Tetsuya Nomura aesthetic aren't your thing - and that's totally fine, since I don't think they're my thing, either - but there's one thing for sure: You can say a great deal of things about Final Fantasy XIII, but one thing you can't say is that the game isn't beautiful. Seriously, this footage (pre-rendered though some of it may be) is jaw-droppingly gorgeous.
And to think there are people who kept claiming the game would look like shit compared to what it would have been if it hadn't gone multi-platform...

I mean, seriously. This stuff looks fan-fucking-tastic... now all we need to worry about is whether the gameplay will be up to snuff, and whether those old rumors that the base version of the game will go for $90 at launch are true.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Halfbreed13 said:
Maybe it is because I am guessing on the words and all, but the acting seems cheesy and downright painfull.
Shy/gentle girl in love with strong/independent guy...group of people banding together for a righteous goal...a tyrant with an army...over the top attacks that summon immense power...ridiculous hair for everyone that never requires upkeep...

Sounds like pretty standard Final Fantasy game to me...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
*sigh* Well, I'm hooked... but I was hoping for something more that wasn't delivered. Something like Snow and Lightning being teenage sweethearts and being dragged apart by tragedy and then meeting again as adults, you know, something a little more interesting than the standard weaksauce "puppy love" depicted in Final Fantasy.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Hmm.... keep the rest of the cutscenes below 2 minutes and I might take a look, Mr. Enix.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
*sigh* Well, I'm hooked... but I was hoping for something more that wasn't delivered. Something like Snow and Lightning being teenage sweethearts and being dragged apart by tragedy and then meeting again as adults, you know, something a little more interesting than the standard weaksauce "puppy love" depicted in Final Fantasy.
Romance in general isn't well-handled by the industry, unfortunately.

I have the feeling that a storyline with a proper romance could be big... and if it were set in the Wild West (with magic guns or something to provide entertainment in combat), you'd have a runaway hit on your hands.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
So the summons are transformers. My geekiness is conflicted. I'm not sure if that's totally awesome, or vomit inducing.

*watches Shiva bike*

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with vomit inducing.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
The actions scenes were cool, but was the dramatic music needed between 2:12-2:26? I mean, all they were doing was running.

Anyways, I'm still looking forward to this game.

Ninja_X

Aug 9, 2009
Halfbreed13 said:
You can speak Japanese?

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I can speak Japanese and they really don't say anything important so you're not missing anything. It's all very cookie cutter anime stuff, probably because Square doesn't want to give away the plot.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Ehh the combat looks quite a bit like Kingdom Hearts 2, which was ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, but I'd like to think there's more to it than meets the eye, after all I wouldn't expect them to allow a FF game to degrade to button-mashing for 5 year olds.

Feb 18, 2009
Well that looked cheesy; Gorgeous and cheesy. But it´s Final Fantasy, so I´m not surprised. Still, I may have to try this some day.

ae86gamer said:
The actions scenes were cool, but was the dramatic music needed between 2:12-2:26? I mean, all they were doing was running.
True. Yakety Sax would have worked better. Much better, I think.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
hansari said:
Halfbreed13 said:
Shy/gentle girl in love with strong/independent guy...group of people banding together for a righteous goal...a tyrant with an army...over the top attacks that summon immense power...ridiculous hair for everyone that never requires upkeep...

Sounds like pretty standard Final Fantasy game to me...
I never played any FF games except the first, and even then, I was a wee lad so I didn't pay attention to the plot. Even if FF is always like this, that doesn't make it good >.>

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
see this is why i stopped playing turn-based rpg's after FF6 and Mario 7 Stars, cause it got boring. Which is also why i love the gameplay system kingdom hearts has. even though the characters are really really really really really really REALLY gay

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Wait, wait. I know the worlds most basic Japanese, but-- did she just call him "Brother" then proceed to eat his face off?