PopCap & Square-Enix Team-Up Started As A Joke

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PopCap & Square-Enix Team-Up Started As A Joke

Last week, PopCap Games and Square-Enix announced their joint venture, puzzle-RPG Gyromancer, piquing the interest of Puzzle Quest fans worldwide. But would you believe that the entire thing started out as a joke?

Speaking with Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/09/popcap-collaboration-with-square-enix-started-as-joke/], PopCap co-founder and chief creative officer Jason Kapalka said that his initial pitch to Square-Enix for a game that combined the JRPG studio's Final Fantasy aesthetic with the casual-game behemoth's fiendishly addictive Bejeweled Twist was initially something of a joke.

Many people have noted the similarity between the recently-announced Gyromancer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94988-Square-Enix-and-PopCap-Games-Announce-Gyromancer] and Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, and that's apparently no coincidence. There were more than a few fans of Puzzle Quest in the PopCap offices, and during initial brainstorming, the team felt it would be "karmically neutral" to try their hand - but perhaps the developers didn't take the idea as seriously as they might have.

[blockquote]Kapalka told Wired.com that he brought up the hybrid idea as a goof while meeting with Square Enix, which publishes some of PopCap game's in Japan. But once he mentioned "Final Fantasy Bejeweled," the idea began to gather momentum: Yuichi Murasawa, designer of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy Tactics A2, got wind of the Gyromancer concept and jumped on board.

"Suddenly it was a real project over at Square," Kapalka said.[/blockquote]

After doing the preliminary design - and basing the game around the more "strategic, hard-core" Bejeweled Twist - PopCap handed the project off to Square-Enix, tagging them into the ring.

So, from what I'm reading here, this is the image I'm getting:

PopCap: "So, uh. We have a bunch of silly little ideas here. Some guys in the office came up with this idea in between raiding in WoW, and they've been joking about making a Final Fantasy: Bejeweled ever since, lol!"

Squeenix: "Uh..." *looking amongst themselves* "...we're up for it if you guys are."

And that's how we got Gyromancer. I'm tempted to imagine that's how we got Kingdom Hearts, too - though PopCap's pitch probably involved fewer chainsaws [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93033-Kingdom-Hearts-Originally-Had-Chainsaws].

VonVirgo

Mar 25, 2009
"Started as a joke" that's not surprising; that's how Kingdom Hearts started, remember?

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
It actually looks a lot better then Puzzle Quest... not that that is hard to do. Too bad it looks like M$ forked over even more money for exclusivity again...

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
Puppet M. said:
"Started as a joke" that's not surprising; that's how Kingdom Hearts started, remember?

Actually Kingdom Hearts was conceived when a Disney executive and a Square executive walked into an elevator together

VeX1le

Aug 26, 2008
well it looks sorta like puzzle quest so i might get it. kingdom hearts was good and well they all metioned it that is was a joke too. so why not.

Nov 11, 2008
Looks good, Great, Acually might check is out...But...I don't know...I like jokes...

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
Blanks said:
Puppet M. said:

Actually Kingdom Hearts was conceived when a Disney executive and a Square executive walked into an elevator together
Hurray for blind luck. I wonder what other awesome colaborations might be out there just waiting to happen?

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
Owch.. I fear the worst for my career...
Onmi said:
Kojima crossed over Boktai with Megaman cause his son thought it would be cool.
Hopefully better ideas than what the comic readers have to keep up with... I certainly don't want a lame concept of Superman 64 meeting Terminator

Darenus

Apr 10, 2008
Arassar said:
Bejeweled the RPG? *sigh*
Technically there is already a Bejeweled RPG out there, called Puzzle Quest (predecessor to Puzzle Quest: Galactrix as there is a review of it here on the Escapist.)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/reviews/682-Puzzle-Quest-Galactrix-Review-Supplement

But for all the FF gamers out there with little less time than earlier this will be a hard hook to miss.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Blanks said:
Puppet M. said:

Awesome!

This game, on the other hand, looks freakin' sweet! I'd buy it.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
JakobBloch said:
Blanks said:
Puppet M. said:

Hurray for blind luck. I wonder what other awesome colaborations might be out there just waiting to happen?

god of war and Pokemon.

who wouldn't ant that.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I'd play it in all honesty I play a few pop cap games myself and I'm all for puzzle games so all in all it should be money well spent

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Last week, PopCap Games and Square-Enix announced their joint venture, puzzle-RPG Gyromancer, piquing the interest of Puzzle Quest fans worldwide. But would you believe that the entire thing started out as a joke?
... Wait, there are Puzzle Quest fans worldwide?
I just thought I bought some cheap game on my phone by accident; I didn't realise it had a fanbase.