Rumor: MechWarrior Movie "In Development"?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: MechWarrior Movie "In Development"?

Want to see MechWarrior on the silver screen penned by the guy who did 300? It may be in the cards sooner than you think.

A "trusted source" has told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/29/source-mechwarrior-movie-in-development-at-eisners-tornante/] that preliminary plans for a MechWarrior movie might finally be coming to fruition, as the movie is "in development" at Michael Eisner's Tornante Studios.

As MechWarrior series creator Jordan Weisman Michael Gordon [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24673], the writer of 300 and G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra.

Of course, that's assuming the game ever gets off the ground. Harmony Gold has been raising a stink [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94468-New-Mechwarrior-Game-Faces-Legal-Threat] over classic mecha designs that bear more than a passing resemblance to those from the Robotech franchise, and it's hard to imagine that the company would be willing to let its trademarks slide for a feature film.

We can still cross our fingers, though. It might be our best chance at seeing some live-action mecha action on the big screen, since god knows we're not getting G-Saviour [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Saviour] anytime soon. Which is probably a good thing in retrospect.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Oh, yes, I wish this with the heat of a thousand suns... in the name of the Blessed Blake let this be done!

-- Steve

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
You know, as a young, young, young child I occasionally caught glimpses on TV of a Mechwarrior TV show, which was actually the first Mechwarrior stuff I'd ever seen before. Shortly after that, I went and picked up MW2: Mercenaries and had a blast.

Apparently that TV show was actually a bit wank, though I was too wee to remember it.

Anyway, what was my point here? Oh right.

Want to see MechWarrior on the silver screen penned by the guy who did 300?
Yes. Yes I do.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Want to see MechWarrior on the silver screen penned by the guy who did 300?
Anyone who says no needs a slap to the face. Please god let this happen!!

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
Love the idea, hate the writer. 300 was bad at best, notable only for the internet memes it spawned, and GI Joe was a crime against film.

Had I a choice, I'd have the real novel writers involved, probably Stackpole or Keith, possibly Pardoe. And definitely get someone like Ridley Scott or Peter Jackson to direct, no Michael Bay, definitely no Uwe Bole.
The writing on 300 was so bad that when I've only watched it once all the way through because when I try to watch again, I burst out laughing fifteen minutes in and shut it off.

I would like to see it done by the guy who did the special f/x for 300, that guy deserved an award. I wouldn't want to see Zack Snyder's name near it, though. He might say that MechWarrior was "99% historically accurate" (actual quote about 300!).

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
OUR LRMS WILL BLOT OUT T-.
Then we will activate AMS...

(In all honesty, I enjoyed 300, and really enjoyed GI-Joe, dunno what people are complaining about, really, I think a Mechwarrior movie done like that would be simply amazing...)

Diablini

May 24, 2009
No no no no, nohoho. Mechwarrior is a fantastic game but I see very few posibilities of it becoming a decent movie. But it is posible that it will be fine. Only time will tell.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
AlexTheBucket2112 said:
Aw snider fall down go boom

the only line from a mechwarrior game that I remember.

Anywho the movie looks to be ok.
It's 'Steiner', not 'Snider'.

Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance, first mission.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
What? Sylar is in Mechwarrior 4?

Does Hiro come after him in a No-Daichi?
Having never watched more than 15 minutes of Heroes that reference went so far over my head I think it's in low orbit.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
No, no I don't.

For one I don't hold the same love of Mechwarrior than others do, not having a computer that could run it and not really liking the mech designs.

But mostly this has to do with the fact that 300 was kinda stupid, and by kinda stupid, I mean really stupid. Do you guys really want the intensely political story of Mechwarrior handled by a guy best known for one of the dumbest lines in movie history?

Really?

In that case you guys deserve what you get.

ActualOvaltine

Jul 1, 2009
Well as a die hard fan, I am excited at the prospect of this. It boggles the mind with awesomey goodness! But good lord, get a better writer.

"This is madness!"
"Madness? THIS IS SOLARIS 7!"
*boot*

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Valiance said:
OUR LRMS WILL BLOT OUT T-.
Then we will activate AMS...

(In all honesty, I enjoyed 300, and really enjoyed GI-Joe, dunno what people are complaining about, really, I think a Mechwarrior movie done like that would be simply amazing...)
Thank god someone else agrees with me, GI-Joe was bloody good fun.

I've never seen or played anything to do with Mechwarrior, but if someone wants to make a film about massive robots then i'm sure as hell not going to stop them.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
What? Sylar is in Mechwarrior 4?

Does Hiro come after him in a No-Daichi?
There better be some jackass piloting an Awesome with 4 PPCs. My squad of Awesome is kinda awesome. ;)