173: Cosplay and Effect

Alice Bonasio

Sep 15, 2008
Cosplay and Effect

Playing as a videogame character and dressing up like one might not be as different as you think.

Read Full Article

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I cosplayed Pyramid Head last year. Does that mean I like rape?
I don't think so -_-

Zallest

Sep 25, 2008
I'm cosplaying as a mudkip from Pokemon this year at a Con, my only regret is i have not a Water gun.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I always try to dress in costume when ever I go to a con, no matter what it is, though I try to be appropriate when I can. Personal best so far was when a group of friends and myself dressed up as a Steam Punk Airship Crew, we won second place in the costume contest and had people asking us about our costumes all day, it rocked!

theklng

May 1, 2008
i honestly never got why you would dress up as someone else except for if you weren't happy with the person you were. i don't want to put a label on cosplayers, but i know that if i had to cosplay, i'd definitely cosplay as myself.

it might just be a movement to become different from others in human societies where judgment is all, but to me it still seems like a superficial way of breaking the boundaries of society when there are better methods for doing so. ah, but i am nothing if not pragmatic.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
theklng post=6.75286.862764 said:
i honestly never got why you would dress up as someone else except for if you weren't happy with the person you were. i don't want to put a label on cosplayers, but i know that if i had to cosplay, i'd definitely cosplay as myself.

it might just be a movement to become different from others in human societies where judgment is all, but to me it still seems like a superficial way of breaking the boundaries of society when there are better methods for doing so. ah, but i am nothing if not pragmatic.
But that's not cosplay. It's just dressing up as yourself. Cosplay is a portmanteau of Costume and Roleplay - are you saying that all RPers are unhappy with the person they are?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
This is one of the most arrogant, self cenetered statements I've ever seen.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I never really got into cosplay. I can understand why other people do, but to me it seems like somewhat of a waste of time. Why use someone else's character when you could instead create a character for yourself. I prefer to create an image for myself than use a precreated one. To me, it's the same kind of idea as using a store-bought costume for halloween instead of making your own. Other folks may not see it the same way, but that's my opinion.

broadband

Dec 15, 2007
i would really like to try cosplay someday, but i simply dont know how and where i can get the cloths and props i would need.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I've always stayed away from cons and cosplay. It never seemed very fun to me. Maybe I'm just not as hardcore into it as everyone else is...

theklng

May 1, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
This is one of the most arrogant, self cenetered statements I've ever seen.
so what if it is? so what is wrong with saying that one thinks it's alright to be oneself? should i be limited by your judgment? should anyone else?

no. nobody should. i understand that every person has an opinion and that some people get overzealous or defensive when going inside their sphere of influence and saying something about it; but seriously what was the point of that message? just because everyone does not think like you it does not mean everybody else are to be judged or limited by your judging. if i was a moderator, that post would be removed immediately.

as for the whole thing about the word cosplay -- yes, i knew what defined cosplay as a word, and i do believe that at least some of those people (along with RPs as well) are unhappy with the person they are. i'm not saying all, because this is one of the things that can be proven empirically false, but i am willing to bet that there's a good amount of people out there who want to escape to a different reality because they don't feel right or well in the society of structured judgment we live in. as i said, i don't blame them, i see bad things in society as well. but, being pragmatic, i think their potential could be used otherwise... for the better.

Alice Bonasio

Sep 15, 2008
I think the problem lies in your intimation that being someone else for a time is not alright. People that are unhappy with who they are may chose cosplay as a method of escape, just as they may chose alcohol, or painting, or music, or any of a variety of methods, good and bad, to 'lose themselves'. Creative expression, recreation, novelty, fun - these are also reasons people chose cosplay; it is not a prerequisite that you have problems.

You may feel their potential may be better used elsewhere, but as much effort might be wasted by people chosing how they apply their own talents, I feel that to do otherwise would incur a cost beyond any possible gain.

drkotaku

Oct 22, 2008
on the plus side, occasionally stunning women as cats and anime characters o_O;;
on the down side, Men dressed as Kagame from Lucky star -_-;; {a 16 year old japanese school girl)

theklng

May 1, 2008
it might just be me then. i am trying to study some of these trends to figure why people commit to them like they do. it's a non conformist road to venture, and while the article explains much about the trend itself, it tells little about the mindset behind the people; or indeed, what type of people cosplay. i was (and still am) thinking that it attracts people who are unhappy since it allows them some freedom to be someone else; and in that, i was thinking why they didn't think to do something about the problem rather than running away from it. i didn't even consider the creative aspect of it, since it was part of the "cosplay package" as a whole.

also, i apologize; my tone might have been abrasive, but i consider the semantic message to be the point, not how it is delivered. no deliberate offense was meant.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Eh. If I ever go to a con, I'm eschewing pretty-boy anime characters and going as Rorschach.
And the nerds will boy, and proclaim me their Lord.

Alice Bonasio

Sep 15, 2008
With in-person conversations there are a myriad of subtle clues that 'shape' how words come across, but in an environment stripped of those clues, the myriad of alternate meanings and connotations will often trip up the intended message.

As for the state of mind, you'd get a better guage going to the cons and observing and meeting the wide variety of people there. Yes, you'll get the extremes, but you'll get those with almost every activity involving people. You may also be right in that it could be attracting more than its share, though it's one of the least harmful (for them or others) methods. Plus, as it's a very social activity, the foundation exists for them to gain perspective and work things out themselves, or with their peers they feel most comfortable around.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Zallest said:
I'm cosplaying as a mudkip from Pokemon this year at a Con, my only regret is i have not a Water gun.
Restraining myself from falling into meme-territory on that is going to take every ounce of self control that I have. :D

So, high female percentage of cosplayers, eh? ^_' I guess I noticed that at Dragon*Con. Of course, that might tip into the "sane, single, and pretty, pick two" problem more heavily than the normal pool of respondents.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The Sorrow said:
Eh. If I ever go to a con, I'm eschewing pretty-boy anime characters and going as Rorschach.
And the nerds will boy, and proclaim me their Lord.
Psh. I've seen tons of Rorschaches. You've been beaten to it :p