First Modern Warfare 2 Map Pack Planned for Spring 2010

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
First Modern Warfare 2 Map Pack Planned for Spring 2010

Though it was revealed in an unlikely manner, we now know the general release window for Modern Warfare 2's first DLC map pack.

Though you might have to wait until October 4 for two planned DLC map packs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95107-New-Modern-Warfare-2-Trailer-This-Sunday], Shacknews reports that the first is planned for Spring 2010.

How did they come by this guarded information? From the packaging of some Monster Energy Drink. You see, Activision and Monster have teamed up for a Modern Warfare 2 themed giveaway. Printed on a package of Monster sent to Shacknews, which details the prizes for the giveaway, is: "5000 MW2 map pack codes - planned release Spring 2010." Talk about an unorthodox reveal. The other prizes in the contest include 100 copies of Modern Warfare 2, 10,000 Modern Warfare 2 dashboard themes, and free cans of Monster Energy Drink.

DLC map packs being planned before the release of Modern Warfare 2 does not surprise me at all; DLC is now a huge part of the industry and can extend the life of a game, especially when it comes to first-person shooters. Many companies are planning to support their products with DLC for years, such as BioWare with Dragon Age: Origins. DLC is a great way to get consumers to hang onto their games, rather than trading them in after a week. Usually, DLC is a boon to the game industry, allowing developers and publishers to earn a little extra dough, and to gamers that are able to get more out of a single release. Just in case you aren't aware of what might become one of the biggest games of all time, Modern Warfare 2 will be released on November 10, 2009.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/60686]

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I have a feeling that Cod:mw2 is going to rip every penny we have from our poor hands. I mean, the game itself will be costly, but they have already got DLC ready aswell?

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Oh, is it just me or is Sping of 10 too soon? I could be happier with Summer butI'm just picky because of CoD4s DLC. Unless they release DLC everyother season, bad move IMO IW and/or Activision.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Distorted Stu said:
I have a feeling that Cod:mw2 is going to rip every penny we have from our poor hands. I mean, the game itself will be costly, but they have already got DLC ready aswell?
Given that this is slated for Spring 2010, I think it's fair to say that they don't have the DLC ready right now. That's what they'll be spending the first six-seven months after the game's release working on.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
so basically these maps were going to be released with the game, but then they thought f*** the fan boys we will take em out n charge for them at a later date. DLC = Worse thing to happen to games

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
silverbullet1989 said:
so basically these maps were going to be released with the game, but then they thought f*** the fan boys we will take em out n charge for them at a later date. DLC = Worse thing to happen to games
Dude, you need to chill.
CantFaketheFunk said:
Distorted Stu said:
Given that this is slated for Spring 2010, I think it's fair to say that they don't have the DLC ready right now. That's what they'll be spending the first six-seven months after the game's release working on.
CantFaketheFunk has a good point, they probally haven't finished it yet or even started working on it; DLC doesn't equal worse thing to happen to games.

Now If they released the DLC in say winter of 2010 then I might agree with you.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Silverbullet is right, remember the days when you could install Unreal Tournament and goto fileplanet and download 1000s of new maps, mods and skins. Now its nickel and dime us and provide less for more. Poor consolers are happy just to get 5 new maps every 6 months.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tehroc said:
Silverbullet is right, remember the days when you could install Unreal Tournament and goto fileplanet and download 1000s of new maps, mods and skins. Now its nickel and dime us and provide less for more. Poor consolers are happy just to get 5 new maps every 6 months.
Not if you played on a console! Plus, those were created by fans. There's a different between fans taking their time and effort to make something out of love, and people who do this for a living wasting their time and resources on stuff that they won't see a cent from. If a team of 30 works for six months on a pack of four maps... well, are you going to write them a paycheck every two weeks for half a year as they create them? No? All right then.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
This wouldn't sound at all suspicious if it weren't for the fact that they've announced DLC for a game that isn't even out yet (and to my knowledge is still being finished and having finishing touches applied).

One must ask why they don't just simply put the extra maps in there with the original product (seeing as they already have them in mind)?

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
If any of this is true, those map packs better be free. They'd have no excuse to put a price tag on them.

raskyred

Apr 20, 2009
DrunkWithPower said:
Oh, is it just me or is Sping of 10 too soon? I could be happier with Summer butI'm just picky because of CoD4s DLC. Unless they release DLC everyother season, bad move IMO IW and/or Activision.
No, it won't be too soon because MW2 will probably have five multiplayer maps that will be stale six weeks after release

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
silverbullet1989 said:
raskyred" post="7.146887.3363382 said:
I don't know if it is the worst thing but I do think that they are using it improperly.

It would be great if DLC was used to respond to fan feedback with game tweaks and changes to help streamline a game instead of the current model of "Trying to get it right with the Sequel" that always creates new problems.

But I'm a dreamer.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
TaborMallory said:
If any of this is true, those map packs better be free. They'd have no excuse to put a price tag on them.
Er... what? Why? I don't understand.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Fantastic! Good to see they're right on track as far as DLC is concerned. MW2 is looking to be a great buy this holiday season if they keep this up.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Why wasn't this just packaged with the game? What the hell is the industry becoming?

countrysteaksauce

Jul 10, 2008
DLC is starting to get really ridiculous. New Developer Game Plan: Develop DLC, Develop Game, Release Game, Tease about DLC, Release DLC, Profit.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Its really something for Monster to team up with Activision...but I don't know how they can do it with a straight face.

Cause when you look over the list of potential prizes, you realize the one contribution Monster has made to this competition is not only the worst prize, but the prize you couldn't care less about...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Iron Mal said:
This wouldn't sound at all suspicious if it weren't for the fact that they've announced DLC for a game that isn't even out yet (and to my knowledge is still being finished and having finishing touches applied).

One must ask why they don't just simply put the extra maps in there with the original product (seeing as they already have them in mind)?
oppp7 said:
Why wasn't this just packaged with the game? What the hell is the industry becoming?
Uh, if I had to guess, it's because the content isn't coming out until (at the bare minimum) four months after MW2 itself ships? Which leads me to believe that it's actually not made yet. They probably have concepts and maybe early-stage modeling, but they need to actually make the full levels, and then playtest them. If it were coming out say, a month or two after the game you'd have a point, but half a year later is hardly egregious, here.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Since they're being released near spring they'll probably release them around my birthday.

I'm gonna ask for MS points for my birthday now. >_<