Back in the Game

Matt Forbeck

Dec 31, 1969
Back in the Game

When tabletop gaming becomes a job, it's time to go back to the source for inspiration

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
Good luck to you on this Matt. I've a friend who I really want to explain roleplaying to, and this may be just the tool I need. :)

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
Y'know, you've really got me excited for creating a D&D adventure again. I'd love to get back into playing D&D but unfortunately the people I used to play with have kinda given up on it.

Tempest Fennac

Aug 30, 2009
TheDuckbunny said:
Y'know, you've really got me excited for creating a D&D adventure again. I'd love to get back into playing D&D but unfortunately the people I used to play with have kinda given up on it.
I only ever play online due to not being able to find a group in real life (sadly games on the site I use never seem to last very long due to the other people on there vanishing or getting bored easily).

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I would really like to get back into a weekly game of D&D. I was an avid 2nd Ed AD&D player in my youth, and moved to White Wolf's Vampire and Werewolf games in my late teens and twentys.

Now everyone has jobs, and kids, or other things that keep us all from getting together around a table and just enjoying an adventure.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Good luck. Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition is a good choice of systems to start off with.

Feb 13, 2008
Kilo24 said:
Good luck. Dungeons and Dragons 4th edition is a good choice of systems to start off with.
Now there's the start to an argument :)

Not saying you're wrong but there's a HUGE array of games to choose from and 4th Ed. is only really useful if you're going in from an MMO PoV.

I don't know what I'd say the best starting system would be, but 4th Ed. wouldn't be in my top 5. Possibly at number 6.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
4e is aggressively simplified, generic Tolkien-ripoff fantasy tweaked for moral-black-and-white and designed to encourage party harmony and ease of play. I can't think of a better system that a 10 year old kid would leap towards, honestly.

Hmm... I suppose that not being rules-light might be a big deal, though. But I guess that I don't really know a lot of really simple RPGs (and the ones that I do know I don't like very much due to the concessions that come along with it.) And nostalgia for the DM along with the kid slaughtering orcs and goblins and dragons by the score is going to be best fulfilled in Dungeons and Dragons, albeit it's an edition with a shifted focus.

I'd agree that DnD4e isn't the top choice of first RPGs in general, though. It certainly doesn't encourage the RP part of RPGs in the actual rules.

Feb 13, 2008
Kilo24 said:
4e is aggressively simplified, generic Tolkien-ripoff fantasy tweaked for moral-black-and-white and designed to encourage party harmony and ease of play. I can't think of a better system that a 10 year old kid would leap towards, honestly.
Toon, Ghostbusters, Amber, Over The Edge or Judge Dredd immediately spring to mind. Trail of Cthulu could work well as well. Ninjaburger would be perfect for kiddies, as would FUDGE.