Jack Thompson Sues Facebook

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jack Thompson Sues Facebook

Former lawyer Jack Thompson has sued Facebook [http://www.facebook.com] for allowing anti-Thompson groups to post messages that have caused him "great harm and distress."

Thompson was permanently disbarred [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86463-Jack-Thompson-Disbarred-UPDATED] in September 2008 but that didn't stop his vocal criticism of the videogame industry, nor did it soften the attitude of videogamers toward Thompson and his strident rhetoric, many of whom have come together in Facebook groups to share their frustration with his antics. But Thompson says he feels threatened by some of the messages posted by those groups and on Tuesday, he filed suit against Facebook for letting it happen.

There are hundreds of Thompson-related Facebook groups, according to Jack Thompson should be smacked across the face with an Atari 2600 [http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/09/30/urnidgns852573C40069388000257641006CC596.DTL]." He also cited a message posted by a user who offered to pay $50 to anyone who sent him a video of themselves punching Thompson in the face.

He said his situation is similar to that of U.S. President Barack Obama, who was recently the subject of another Facebook controversy caused by a poll asking whether or not he should be shot. Facebook administrators quickly removed the poll but as Thompson noted, "Unlike our President, Thompson does not have the Secret Service to protect him."

But Thompson's suit against Facebook, like most of his others, has little chance of going anywhere, according to WiredSafety.org Executive Director Parry Aftab, who noted that the U.S. Communications Decency Act exempts services like Facebook from liability for what people do with them. "They are no more liable than the phone company would be for anyone who is calling in a ransom demand," she said.

Regardless of the legal merits of his case, however, this isn't the sort of attention gamers need. It may seem like a joke to anyone familiar with Thompson (although in the case of the $50 face-punch bounty, it's hard to say there's not some measure of seriousness involved) but to those on the outside looking in, it can appear more serious. Would anyone ever smack Thompson across the face with an Atari 2600? Of course not. (Those things cost money, you know.) But without context, it looks like a threat; and we, the gamers, end up looking like juvenile idiots or, worse, the violent psychos Thompson has worked so hard to make us out to be. Thompson never learned how to tone it down and it cost him his career. We don't need to make the same mistake.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Great, trust a few to make the many look bad :|
those few are just giving more ammo to the people against us... and we only just got buddhism on our side. now what?

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Freedom of speech. That is all.

EDIT: I did not know that they were threating him. I retract my previous statement.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
I just joined that group because of him, like 2 mins ago.

Suck it Jack Thompson

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, is it just me or is he getting thicker, the only one with a hint of seriousness in is the one about the video. this is just some ridiculous attention seeking scam, like babies throwing their toys out their pram. The Obama one was about death, no-one cares enough about Jack Thompson to have the chance of prison for him.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Malygris said:
but as Thompson noted, "Unlike our President, Thompson does not have the Secret Service to protect him."
Is this a mistake or does he really refer to himself in the third person...?

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Yay! Go Jack!

Burn Facebook, buuuuurn!

I dislike Facebook very much, and what Jack is doing now is awesome.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Great, trust a few to make the many look bad :|
those few are just giving more ammo to the people against us... and we only just got buddhism on our side. now what?
damn idiot G4m3rZ making us look bad
one step forward two steps back

Schlorgan

May 31, 2009
Of course Jack Thompson doesn't have the Secret Service to protect him.

He's not worth protecting...

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Man, what a great lawyer, he should know his case has no merit, so why even file it? FOR ATTENTION!!