Borderlands Gets A New Look

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Borderlands Gets A New Look

We still might not know much about Gearbox's "Mad Max meets Diablo" shooter, but we do know that it sure doesn't look the way it used to.

Remember Borderlands? 2K published, Gearbox developed, the game, which takes Diablo style randomized levels and weapons and mixes it with first-person shooting, surfaced a couple years ago and then really hasn't made much noise since then.

That might be because it's been getting a major makeover. Borderlands used to look like this [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/sept07/borderlands2.jpg]. It looked good, but didn't really look special. Borderlands, as of now, looks like what you see on the PC Gamer cover to the right. Big difference, huh?

That's not a piece of concept art - it's "an in-game screenshot with no post process," according to Gearbox. Yes, I know what you're going to say: it looks like a comic book.

So what to do with inevitable flood of angry fans who can't deal with the fact that a game they won't play until Halloween this year has suddenly gone with a color palette that isn't wholly composed of multiple shades of greenish-gray-brown? Gearbox is ready for them, but they think they've made the right decision, all things considered.

"Though there's always the chance some people could be turned off by the style, it was decided that, overall, it fits the game and creates a more visually interesting experience," they wrote in a post [http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showpost.php?p=1402096&postcount=65] on their official forums. For them the "game has not become less detailed or washed out at all...[the art style] stands out, and makes the gray-and-brown bleak landscapes, while still bleak and inhospitable, memorable and recognizable."

I'm all for fighting against the browning of our videogames, but, call me a skeptic, I want to see Borderlands in motion before I'm completely sold.

Jul 9, 2008
Would that be cell shading? Looks sort of like it but I don't know enough to tell for sure.

And nice new avatar Keane.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Psychosocial said:
We all know that what's really interesting about that issue of PC Gamer is "Dual-wielded fishguns?!".

No but in all honesty, this is cool, I like this kind of different artstyle.
I was more excited by the Plants Vs. Zombies zombie on the cover.

I want more singing!

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
I am officially excited. I was interested in the game, but it's visuals were dreary at best. I love bold stylization, and how can you not be creative with a game that has magnums loaded with shotgun shells?

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Nice. Before, it looked kind of like a Fallout 3 clone or something. But now it has more of it's own look.

Rocksa

Jul 26, 2008
I'm torn, the old look was good, but this new art direction seems like it could be a lot of fun. I'd have to see it in actual motion though, just seems like it wouldn't hold up well at high speeds.

Ralackk

Aug 12, 2008
orannis62 said:
Would that be cell shading? Looks sort of like it but I don't know enough to tell for sure.
Apparently that isn't cel shading, though it does look alot like it.

http://kotaku.com/5206042/gearbox-borderlands-is-not-cel+shaded

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
While I really dig the new style, a part of me misses the old style just because it was so similar to Mad Max, and the prospect of an open-world Mad Max game was so very cool.

Camarilla

Jul 17, 2008
No! Put it back the way it was!

On a more objective note, why would they wait until about 6 months before it was meant to be released before deciding "Let's chuck out the entire game's visual assets for no reason"?

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
I really like this new style. And that's an in game screen shot? All I can say is cool.

Drayco90

Apr 5, 2009
While i'm looking forward to Borderlands I'm honostley more intrested in the Dual wielding Fishguns advertised on the cover.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That's an in game screen shot? I'm sorry, but that doesn't look too good to me, I prefer the previous version. I want to see more than just one "screenshot" of a guy, so until then, I'll withhold my actual judgment on it.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
I just came. Diablo meets Fallout 3, in the desert, with an art style reminiscent of Team Fortress 2?

Screw eating! Fuck drinking! Nuts to sleeping! I'm going to play this until my eyeballs die!

EDIT: Of course it has to come out during the beginning of school... GOD?! I THOUGHT YOU LEARNED YOUR LESSON! NO MORE PRANKS, YOU HEAR?

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
The Austin said:
GOD HURRY UP WITH THIS GAME YOUR KILLING ME PLLLLLEEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!
You necro this thread just to say that? Please dont do that.
Or he could create a new thread and be told that this thread existed and he should have used that. He couldn't win either way.

OT - Borderlands looks awesome! I still love Cel Shaded games.