S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Coming This Fall?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat Coming This Fall?

It sounds like FPS fans may have more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. [http://www.stalker-game.com/] to look forward to as GSC Game World is reportedly working on a second expansion to the hit 2007 shooter for release later this year.

Translations of a Russian interview with GSC Game World [http://www.gsc-game.com/] President Sergey Grigorovitch have revealed that the company is currently developing a second "stand-alone expansion" called S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat. Apparently the April 2009 S.T.A.L.K.E.R. calendar included the words "Call of Pripyat" in Russian underneath the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. logo and when Grigorovitch was asked whether it was an April Fool's joke he replied that it was in fact the name of the second expansion, scheduled for release this fall.

Despite being the first "expansion" in the series, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky is actually a stand-alone prequel that doesn't require the original game to operate and the assumption at this point is that Call of Pripyat will be the same. Grigorovitch also indicated that an all-new S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game was in the works, although how it would tie in with the first game and when it's expected to be released is unknown.

No official announcement has been made so for now this is just a rumor. We've dropped a line to GSC Game World asking for confirmation and will update when we can.

Sources: Blue's [http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126100]

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
I wonder if it'll be as broken as Clear Sky was. Because if so, I'm taking that as my cue to denounce GSC as lazy idiots who can't be bothered to actually finish the bloody game before they put it on shelves.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Im playing clear sky right now, modded to hell. I'm happy to hear about any new stalker but seriously GSC, how can you make a game that broken?
Still theres nothing else like staker so i will probly buy it regardless. I hope theres a new zone, the current one has been played to death by me.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
I would not bet on it. The games ( both ) are good but the stability is not really something to be proud of. And a german proverb says that that if it fails the second time it will also fail the third... so prepare for bugs galore :p

Musicfreak

Jan 23, 2009
Awesome, not much more to say about that, I still play a modded version of Clear Sky every now and again. It would be nice if it was a little less buggy but hell my computers already pretty bad so I can handle a buggy game.

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
Odjin said:
I would not bet on it. The games ( both ) are good but the stability is not really something to be proud of. And a german proverb says that that if it fails the second time it will also fail the third... so prepare for bugs galore :p
when was the last time you actually PLAYED either of the stalker games? stalker has been in good shape for over a year now, runs very well, bugs, glitches and crashes are down to a fraction of what they were before and can usually be traced to an obscure hardware/software incompatibility. its in VERY good shape espically considering what it was when released. the same is true for clear sky.

yes, they had way too many bugs when they were released, but after months/years of patching they are in pretty good shape in that area.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Khell_Sennet said:
ratix2 said:
yes, they had way too many bugs when they were released, but after months/years of patching they are in pretty good shape in that area.
Nothing can repair the damage they did themselves by such a buggy launch. It's the surest way to shoot your project in the foot (second surest being DRM), because most people aren't forgiving. Sure Stalker's core game runs fine now, but most of those who bought it and quit because of its instability will not give the expansions a chance.
At the very least, it's going to cause a "wait and see" attitude, which will kill initial sales and give piracy a boost. Nobody wants to buy a broken game, and even the dullest person will be hesitant to put their hand on that hot stove a third time.

And besides, a good amount of improvements to the first two games have come from the player community. While it's nice that the game can be altered, it's not good for a game company to depend on its playerbase to fix their game.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Odjin said:
So germany isn't going to cause WWIII this time?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
McCa said:
Odjin said:
So germany isn't going to cause WWIII this time?
Ouch!! thats a burn and a half

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
No no no, that's why we have Fallout 3 for, Stalker is for Europe, Fallout for America.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
ratix2 said:
Odjin said:
when was the last time you actually PLAYED either of the stalker games? stalker has been in good shape for over a year now, runs very well, bugs, glitches and crashes are down to a fraction of what they were before and can usually be traced to an obscure hardware/software incompatibility. its in VERY good shape espically considering what it was when released. the same is true for clear sky.

I played it like 2 weeks ago, both STALKERs with the latest patch and my system is a games development rig so vanilla with recent drivers. Still objecting? ;)