New Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Goes Down in "Infamy"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
New Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Goes Down in "Infamy"

Feast your eyes on the newest trailer - called "Infamy" - for Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2, also known as the reason every other game is getting pushed back to 2010. (Warning: Spoilers!)

SPOILER ALERT. SPOILER ALERT. DANGER, WILL ROBINSON.

We were promised a trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95107-New-Modern-Warfare-2-Trailer-This-Sunday] for the weekend, and boy did Infinity Ward ever deliver. My first thought as I started watching the above trailer: "Sweet Baby Jesus, that game looks pretty." My second thought, as the trailer neared the ending: "Oh, so that's how they're planning on beating 'Shock and Awe'" - that is, the famous nuke sequence from the first Modern Warfare.

To sum things up, this trailer features an unnamed speaker posing the hypothetical question to (we're assuming) American forces: What if the battle were on your own homeland? It might be an unthinkable outcome in a post-Cold War world, but is it really impossible? The trailer goes on to show this exact "unthinkable" scenario, depicting what is obviously a wartorn Washington D.C. complete with bombed-out White House, Washington Monument, and Lincoln Monument.

So it appears that in addition to flying all across the globe in search of foreign enemies to dispatch with extreme prejudice, the American soldiers will be dealing with a war at home. We already know that the Brits will be returning from CoD4, but the idea of a battlefield within America's borders raises some questions about what their involvement will be - will Soap McTavish and the others join the fight in the USA, or will they still be traipsing around the world dealing with the more international aspects of the conflict?

Sure, MW2's existence means that (almost) every other major title is being pushed back to the beginning of next year, but it just might be worth it after all.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Do want this game.
not long now... Oh, that looks sooo good...
I Want To Take It Home!
oh wait, that's the point.

Well, I know what game is on the top of my list...

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
Mine, mine, mine, mine... *Drools*

And the SAS should be returning in some form in MW2 as Soap is supposed to return.

neoman10

Big Brother
Sep 23, 2008
God the plot seems to get more fictious every time I hear of it

and where are the miniguns on Humvees? I never have seen them

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
i think they just jumped the shark, CoD4 was great because it was realistic-ish modern warfare, and now...wow,

Barky13

Apr 7, 2009
Looks great. I probably won't buy it since Christmas is just a month after the release but either way I can't wait.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
I'm gonna wait untill it's the same price as every other fucking game. However, that trailer looked purdy.

Omega Hunter 9

Feb 25, 2009
MR T3D said:
i think they just jumped the shark, CoD4 was great because it was realistic-ish modern warfare, and now...wow,
I don't believe it's jumping the shark if whatever nation doing the invasion has a legit amount of infantry and vehicles for said city. For all we know, the invasion is just in that local area, so even a small nation could start a huge battle there.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"One wonders if the Brits will be returning from CoD4, and if so in what respect."

Errr... What? This guy realises the first gameplay video shown (or one of the first) showed Soap and that new guy Roach who are both British, right?

Modern Warfare's British missions were miles better than the American ones.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well, I know I was getting this game anyway, but the idea of fighting a war in Washington DC? Sweet.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Pulse Reality said:
And the SAS should be returning in some form in MW2 as Soap is supposed to return.
He is , as part of the international task force that is- as far as I know- the protagonist of this game.

DrScoobs

Mar 6, 2009
i think that i am the only one in the history of this planet who wont be getting this game. that won't stop it selling like hot cakes.
I am also afraid that other great titles like uncharted or brutal legend wont sell well because of this games release... :(

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Woodsey said:
"One wonders if the Brits will be returning from CoD4, and if so in what respect."

Errr... What? This guy realises the first gameplay video shown (or one of the first) showed Soap and that new guy Roach who are both British, right?

Modern Warfare's British missions were miles better than the American ones.
Fixed the original story to clarify my question - it was more wondering whether or not the British forces would be involved in the fighting in America, or if they'd be doing just the international missions.

JonnoStrife

Sep 5, 2009
Pulse Reality said:
Mine, mine, mine, mine... *Drools*

FUCK YEA!!!! SOAPS MACTAVISH!