Ubisoft Buys Trackmania Studio

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Buys Trackmania Studio

Ubisoft [http://www.trackmania.com/], a move that's sure to make fans of the franchise a little bit nervous.

The Paris-based Nadeo has earned considerable acclaim among PC gamers for its work on the popular series of stunt-racers that debuted in 2003. The games are short, simple and addictive, supported by free content from Nadeo as well as a huge number of user-generated tracks available online. In 2006, Nadeo released TrackMania Nations as freeware and the updated version, TrackMania Nations Forever, remains a popular online game.

"The acquisition of Nadeo is an important step in our expansion within the on-line gaming sector", said Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot. "Through Nadeo, Ubisoft will gain an expert team, one of the best on-line technologies around as well as a flagship multiplayer game that enjoys an unrivaled reputation among a loyal and committed community."

Nadeo CEO Florent Castelnerac said the studio is a "complementary fit" for Ubisoft and that he was looking forward to being a part of its community. "Joining Ubisoft is a huge opportunity for us to develop and innovate and take Nadeo to new horizons", he added. "Nadeo's team was keen for this acquisition to happen."

Fans of the series might not be quite so enthusiastic about the takeover, however. The TrackMania games are great but it's hard to argue that Nadeo's propensity to hand out free stuff isn't a big part of its success. Is that a tradition Ubisoft will tolerate, or will the future of TrackMania be built upon premium-priced "collector's editions" and pay-to-play DLC? We'll find out soon enough: TrackMania 2 was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94854-Trackmania-2-Unveiled] at the Paris Game Festival last month and is expected to ship in 2010.

Al_

Aug 15, 2008
I feel I need to point out that Trackmania is truy an awesome game. Go on. Try Nations- it's possibly one of the best demos for a game ever, possibly too good. Having said that, once you've played with United, you'll wonder why you didn't break free of the Stadium earlier. Still happily gop back to the Stadium tracks, but the rest are just madder.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Oh, i loved to Play Trackmania, but i have a feeling they will charge a "minimal" fee of $5 a month to play online, "But hey! you get all this cool stuff, such as player-to-player chatting, you can even paint your own cars as well, not to mention we throw in our "free" create-a-track for you to share online with your friends! it's so new and innovative!". . . oh wait.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Al_ said:
I feel I need to point out that Trackmania is truy an awesome game. Go on. Try Nations- it's possibly one of the best demos for a game ever, possibly too good. Having said that, once you've played with United, you'll wonder why you didn't break free of the Stadium earlier. Still happily gop back to the Stadium tracks, but the rest are just madder.
Seriously. It's a brilliant game. I spent many a long hour playing it a couple summers ago... now I have to reinstall it and I've got 2 large tests this week. Dang it, man, look what you've done.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Hmmm this news worries my slightly, I hope Ubisoft won't ruin it with there corporation ideas.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
This game is done.

I don't hate ubisoft but I'm not retarded either.

Whenever a 'real' company buys out a 'good' company there is little left of that good one in the end.