Future Naughty Dog Games Likely to Include Online Features

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Future Naughty Dog Games Likely to Include Online Features

Uncharted 2's multiplayer mode was a nice touch, but Naughty Dog is not likely going to stop there.

I'm not a big proponent of judging a game simply by its review score average, but its safe to say Uncharted 2 is probably a good game [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/uncharted2amongthieves]. This is no doubt partially due to Naughty Dog's inclusion of a multiplayer mode that is almost so good that it could stand alone, from my experience.

Speaking to Game Informer [http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/10/06/news_2F00_evanwellscodecchatter.aspx], Naughty Dog's Evan Wells made his intention to include online features in all future Naughty Dog games known. As he says in the interview: "Uncharted 2's multiplayer is just a steppingstone, as I see every game we do in the future having some sort of online feature set."

This is even in spite of Wells acknowledging that online features, such as multiplayer, are pretty challenging to implement properly. Wells says that Uncharted 2's multiplayer mode required testing from the entire Naughty Dog team (other than the staff's two actual dogs) "every day." This makes sense, considering how fun and balanced Uncharted 2's multiplayer feels.

Also, while some of Naughty Dog's staff is on vacation, Wells says that his company also has "a bunch of people diving into our DLC and making improvements to the multiplayer that we want to roll out right around launch." Though it has been revealed that Uncharted 2 would be supported with future DLC, I'm still intrigued to see just what it might be, though multiplayer maps and modes are likely. Get your Indiana Jones hats and Lara Croft tank tops ready, Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2 launches on October 13.

(Via: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/10/06/naughty-dog-sees-every-game-it-develops-in-the-future-having-online-features/])

hansari

May 31, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Wells says that Uncharted 2's multiplayer mode required testing from the entire Naughty Dog team (other than the staff's two actual dogs)...
Oh, thats cute...do they really?

I can see it now! There are no doorknobs at Gabe Newell's workplace...only valves on the cabinets, doors, drawers....

And thanks to the large sums of cash WoW brings in, an artificial hailstorm brews around Blizzard HQ...

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Uncharted 2 is one of the only reasons I want a PS3. >_<

Anyways, thats cool. I heard the multiplayer for Uncharted 2 was well done, so I imagine that it will only improve in their future games.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
hansari said:
And thanks to the large sums of cash WoW brings in, an artificial hailstorm brews around Blizzard HQ...
Yeah,and the HQ itself is Evil Tower Of Ominousness,because it's Activision Blizzard.

And people at Insomniac Games tend to howl at the moon instead of,you know,sleeping.

And Gas Powered Games' office hardware is (duh) gas-powered.

And you must stay the hell away from Bugbear's (Flatout team) offices if you want to live.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
that's cool, i'm waiting for uncharted 2 to come out. a new multiplayer game might be interesting, tho i wouldn't mind a Jack and Daxter game

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
If they manage to keep the quality from Uncharted 2's multiplayer up: power to you Naughty Dog. U2 is great fun to play online, judging from the beta, and I can't wait for the full game.
Kollega said:
hansari said:
Yeah,and the HQ itself is Evil Tower Of Ominousness,because it's Activision Blizzard.
Indeed, all the poor Blizzard developers being slaves stumped under Bobby Kotick's foot. Burn Bobby, free Blizzard!