The Getaway, Eight Days Aren't Dead After All

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Getaway, Eight Days Aren't Dead After All

Even though it's been more than a year since The Getaway and Eight Days [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Days] were declared dead and buried, Nicolas Doucet of Sony Computer Entertainment now says that reports of their demise may have been greatly exaggerated.

"It has been agreed that production of both Eight Days and The Getaway will cease immediately due to the redistribution of the budget," Sony said in June 2008 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84275-Sony-Cancels-Eight-Days-The-Getaway]. For anyone who didn't quite get the point, a Sony U.K. rep later reiterated that both titles had been "completely canceled" and that production would not resume at a later date.

Ah, but apparently "completely canceled" is a highly nuanced phrase, because according to Doucet, a producer and art director at SCE's London Studio, the games have only been "put to one side."

"I would not say they have been abandoned, just put to one side," Doucet told French site EyePet [http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000079978], priorities have been changed, but the other projects aren't dead yet."

Doucet added that significant progress had been made on both games before the plug was pulled. "I think they were just over halfway through. They had a plan, everything was ready," he said. "Most importantly, The Getaway and Eight Days are still there."

The news that these games may yet see the light of day isn't all that terribly surprising; the announcement of their "cancellation" made it clear that the decision arose from a desire to focus on titles that were "closer to completion" rather than because of any inherent problems with the games themselves. Sony's insistence that they were definitely deceased, on the other hand, seems just a wee bit odd. People change their minds, sure, but why put the coffin in the ground if you haven't actually nailed it shut?

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
So its completely cancelled.. but theres still hope?

Thats really confusing. :/

angel34

Jan 16, 2009
I love the Getaway games, this is great news. That is if ive interpreted the riddle Sony have made correctly...

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
huh, I was sad when I heard that Eight Days was cancelled, but frankly? The trailers look outdated now, I've lost interest in them at this point.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Good. The Getaway always had a better story than GTA, and despite the sluggish controls that's why I loved it.

That being said, I just couldn't play The Getaway 2, because the controls were broken. Can't enjoy the story if I can't play and enjoy the game.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
So they could come out....good.

If you say they will be canceled for good...keep your word.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
For those who went to the EyePet website, was that thing a little creepy to you? It was sorta cute but it looked like a rejected Furby.

On-topic: 8 Days was laughably crappy when I saw it at E3 years ago, it was prerendered beyond belief, sadly I never cared for the Getaway games.