Harvard Researchers Working on Robotic Bees

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Harvard Researchers Working on Robotic Bees

The next Dr. Wily could plausibly get his start at Harvard on this project to create robotic bees.

Robots based on real animals are all the rage nowadays, with fish-mimicking robots [<a href=] one of the other more recent stories out there. This time, the insect kingdom is the focus, as Harvard researchers have recently been given a $10 million grant for the purpose of creating robotic bees.

The National Science Foundation is funding the 5-year "RoboBee" project that is sure to lead to a real-life Mega Man scenario. It starts small, with robotic bees, surely created for useful purposes like to "[understand] how to artificially mimic the collective behavior and intelligence of a bee colony, foster novel methods for designing and building an electronic surrogate nervous system able to deftly sense and adapt to changing environments, and advance work on the construction of small-scale flying mechanical devices," along with opening the door for "discoveries and practical innovations, advancing fields ranging from entomology and developmental biology to amorphous computing and electrical engineering," according to the RoboBee official project website [http://robobees.seas.harvard.edu/]. Next thing you know, these things have nerve-toxin coated stingers and we have to hire the blue bomber to save us all.

It's probably best if we end this project before it even starts; do we really want to live in a world run by animal-themed robots and a mustachioed man [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Wily] that rides around in a giant mech that is weak to energy bullets shot into its mouth? I certainly don't. Then again, maybe the RoboBee project really could lead to "energy-efficient computers optimally designed for custom applications, new tools to make air travel safer and healthcare interventions more effective, and robotic bees that lend a helping hand in search and rescue operations," as its members claim. Is it worth the risk?

(Via: Slashdot [http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/10/07/2215208/Harvards-Robotic-Bees-Generate-High-Tech-Buzz])

messy

Dec 3, 2008
this is my kind of robotic apocalypse, atleast you can hear them coming.

Additional predictable cliché about skynet

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Coming this summer, M Night Shyamalan reimagining of RoboCop, it's...

ROBOBEE.

The twist is, they're actually RoboWasps

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
Seeing as all the actual bees are dieing off, they might want to hurry that up a bit.

Lukeymundo

Feb 25, 2009
lol Michael McShane already made one in Richie Rich, only took 15 years to catch up...wait, it's not a real robo bee in the movie? WHAT?!

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
If I ever see one then I'll do the same thing that I do with every other bee.. I'll squash it.

May 28, 2009
Robeetics eh? *Slaps knee, and is greeted with stony and unending silence*

ae86gamer said:
If I ever see one then I'll do the same thing that I do with every other bee.. I'll squash it.
But bees are so sweet and fluffy!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
somekindarobot said:
Robot bees? Egad, somebody should warn Nicolas Cage right away!

Aren't those mystical bees though, and not robot bees?

But yeah, hurrah for science and all that.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Havard researcher: Hey you know flying insects, You know the ones that buzz around make a lot of noise and follow you about. Maybe sting you? Well don't worry, we've made robot versions!

*lights go out, sounds of chairs bieng broken*

Me: *cough* It looks like the project has been cancelled due to funding issues.

hansari

May 31, 2009
So when the East is making robot animals its fine...

But when the West wants to...oh dear, the end is nigh!

Besides...if Megaman comes into play, our world will be filled with an awesome rock soundtrack...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
hansari said:
So when the East is making robot animals its fine...

But when the West wants to...oh dear, the end is nigh!

Besides...if Megaman comes into play, our world will be filled with an awesome rock soundtrack...
Problem is we here in the west try and turn nice robot animals into deadly weapons.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
somekindarobot said:
scotth266 said:
somekindarobot said:
Robot bees? Egad, somebody should warn Nicolas Cage right away!
Aren't those mystical bees though, and not robot bees?
I always thought of them as more shitty movie adaptation bees, myself.
Heh. That's probably true. I never saw The Wicker Man myself, so I can't really comment.

WanderFreak said:
I know there's an ultimate purpose to this, but I still can't help but ask: why do we need robotic bees?
Because roboticists are secretly huge masochists.