Edited Version of Left 4 Dead 2 Approved for Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Edited Version of Left 4 Dead 2 Approved for Australia

Looks like Australians will be able to get their Left 4 Dead 2 [http://www.l4d.com/] on after all, as long as they don't mind playing an edited version of the game that will probably suck.

Left 4 Dead 2 was News.com.au [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94771-Left-4-Dead-2-Refused-Classification-in-Australia] "removes considerable amounts of gore from gameplay," was also submitted and has been given an MA15+ rating.

The Classification Board said the "revised version" of the game still contains violence that is strong in impact, but it has been cleaned up considerably; while "large and frequent blood splatters" remain, the report notes that "no wound detail is shown and the implicitly dead bodies and blood splatter disappear as they touch the ground." Furthermore, "The game no longer contains depictions of decapitation, dismemberment, wound detail or piles of dead bodies lying about the environment."

Valve boss Gabe Newell told Kotaku Australia [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/10/looks-like-left-4-dead-2-is-coming-to-australia/] that the edited version of the game is a "backup plan" in case the appeal fails or takes longer than expected. If the edited version is released in Australia before the appeal proceeds and the appeal is later successful, Aussies will receive an update to bring their version of the game in line with the rest of the world. The update would be free for the PC version of the game but Newell said he was unsure how it would be handled for the Xbox 360 version.

Thanks to Fenixius [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Fenixius] for the tip.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Dumb question!

Is there anything to stop Aussies getting the normal version via Steam anyway? Or if Steam Aus edits it (as seems likely going by Gabe's statement), torrenting another country's version and then paying for/activating it via Steam (do-able but complicated).

It seems wasted effort to censor a game in a world with the Internet and global shipping.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Wow, that sounds like a wank change. Good that Aussie's get to play it, but it sounds like a bit of a fookin' waste of time anyway. Hopefully the appeal goes through and they get the good version through.

I hear the Aussie's don't check DLC, so couldn't they just slip a 'graphical update' DLC which reverts it to the version the rest of the world get.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I had images of valve going all the way and adding sunshine and rainbows instead of blood and gore, and you fire hearts at the zombies (who are in fact merely unloved lonely people) which on impact "turn that frown upside down" then they go off and give money to charity and help in a soup kitchen.

Oh and your characters kitten you can't really control it just stumbles around vaguely and adorable the direction you press, they have heart shaped eyes that fire said heart missles

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Wait he also said

Newell confirmed that if the edited version is released, then the Australian version would receive an update if the appeal proves successful. This would be free on PC, but he said he did not yet know how it might work on Xbox 360.
Does this mean that it will be enabled again or maybe an option in the menu?

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
When is Australia going to get an R18+ rating like the rest of the world? God, I'd hate to live there. They may have great beaches, but the video game regulations suck.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
My god. Now I see why Yahtzee hates, uhh...whats his face, Atkison or something I forgot, this is stupid what Australia is doing. It's just a game.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
I think we're nearing at the point where every game company that makes violent games will abandon the Australian market. With the way development costs rise with every new generation of games, it's getting to the point where the time and resources it takes to rework the game will outstrip the profit that can be made selling the game there.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh my God, does that suck.

When did the Australian goverment start getting these gianormous bugs up their ass?

nonW00t

Aug 6, 2009
Well it just seems every now and then a board gets enough idiots on it and makes stupid judgments, suddenly blood is deemed too traumatic for the public to see ("large and frequent blood splatters" remain -- Wow! LMAO)

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
For those talking about Steam, Steam has to conform to Australia's censorship guidelines too.

I don't care really. Valve should never have made this game anyway and I won't be buying it whether it comes out or not.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Hmm I wander what they are going to cut out of the original version
Here's hoping it isn't much *fingers crossed*

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Australia is the dumbest land on the earth when it comes to video games. Seriously.