Paddy Power Lists Odds for Best-Selling Holiday Videogame

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Paddy Power Lists Odds for Best-Selling Holiday Videogame

Irish betting site Paddy Power [http://www.paddypower.com/] has released the odds for this year's best-selling holiday videogame and you'll be shocked - shocked, I tell you - when you see who tops the list.

Okay, I lied, you won't be shocked at all. The bookmaker says FIFA 10 [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/] is third on the list at 6/1. (This is Ireland, remember.) 2009 is something of a rematch; in 2007, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Assassin's Creed battled it out for top spot, with Activision's hit shooter ultimately emerging victorious.

"When the full weight of Activision's marketing machine kicks into gear we're in no doubt that Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will enjoy the lion's share of the games market this December," a Paddy Power rep told MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/36049/Xmas-No1-odds-revealed].

Despite the expected dominance of Modern Warfare 2, Sega U.K. Managing Director John Clark said he was hopeful the company could shovel out enough copies of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games [http://www.olympicvideogames.com/mario-and-sonic-winter/] for the Nintendo Wii and DS (12/1) to pull off an upset. "There are only three games that can be Christmas Number One: Call of Duty, FIFA or Mario & Sonic. It is as simple as that," he said.

"The price cuts on the other consoles could make that a slightly larger challenge for us, and Modern Warfare 2 will be huge," he continued. "Will it be bigger than the last Modern Warfare? I think it probably will be. But we think it's achievable because the last Mario & Sonic achieved a 30 per cent attach rate on Wii and a DS attach rate of seven per cent. If we achieve even half of that, we'll be in with a chance."

The Odds in Full:

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2: 13/8
Assassin's Creed II: 9/4
FIFA 10: 6/1
Halo 3: ODST: 10/1
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games: 12/1
Wii Fit Plus: 14/1
New Super Mario Bros Wii: 18/1
Need For Speed: Shift: 18/1
Planet 51: The Game: 20/1
James Cameron's Avatar: The Game: 25/1
PES 2010: 25/1
Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues: 33/1
Left 4 Dead 2: 33/1
Guitar Hero 5: 33/1
The Saboteur: 40/1
Ghostbusters: The Video Game: 40/1
Tekken 6: 50/1
Rogue Warrior: 66/1
Brutal Legend: 80/1
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time: 80/1
Saw: The Video Game: 80/1
WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2010: 100/1
Rabbids Go Home: 100/1

I don't think this is even legal in the U.S. but in Ireland and the U.K., they take their betting very seriously. And wagering on videogame sales isn't even close to as strange as it gets: Paddy Power has given odds on everything from the outcomes of various television shows to who Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi will insult next and even whether the Large Hadron Collider will eventually prove the existence of God. (I've got $50 on a cold, random universe in which we all die pointlessly and alone.)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Malygris said:
I don't think this is even legal in the U.S. but in Ireland and the U.K., they take their betting very seriously. And wagering on videogame sales isn't even close to as strange as it gets: Paddy Power has given odds on everything from the outcomes of various television shows to who Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi will insult next and even whether the Large Hadron Collider will eventually prove the existence of God.
Don't forget the time they let a guy bet on his own life. He bet that he could survive five years with cancer and the lucky bastard won.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
No Batman? But GH5 is on their.... by this I make my assumption the Irish hate Batman. That's probably false as hell but I make my stand with it.

Susano

Dec 25, 2008
What?! Avatar:The Game is in a Higher spot than Left 4 Dead 2? I'm ashamed...

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
If only a had a billion euro for this. Modern warfare is guaranteed to be #1.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Huh, that's odd. None of the games I will certainly buy the next few months on this list.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
I am about to rage, they don't even have Dragon Age Origins on there. This list is full of fail. Dragon Age WILL get a GOTY edition, i SWEAR IT!

P.S. I don't see the attraction of COD MW2 at all.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter games? How did that even make it on the list?!

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
What the hell? No Uncharted 2? Hell, is it just that the chances of Uncharted 2 doing well are astronomically low. 1,000,000/1? Awesome.

They only made one prediction right in my book, and it was the easiest one to make. Great job guys.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
ae86gamer said:
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter games? How did that even make it on the list?!
You must have missed how ridiculously well the last one sold.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
ae86gamer said:
You must have missed how ridiculously well the last one sold.
I didn't know that it sold well. I'm actually surprised that many of the games that people want and have said were good aren't on that list.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Gotta love paddy power, all the stories are true, they do let people bet on just about everything. As for the list, the top 3 are about right, others are in completely wrong places, smackdown, l4d2 and tekken will all sell better(in ireland!) than this list sugests. Ireland isn't exactly known for its large hardcore fan base, alot of casual fan will pick up MW2 and maybe fifa before the year is over, hence the high stats for them.

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Casual Shinji said:
What do ya know?

No Uncharted 2!
Yeah I noticed that too, also no Dragon's Age: Origins. This seems like kind of a half assed list if you ask me.

IrirshTerrorist

Jul 25, 2009
Ireland, Woooh!... yup I don't actually have anything to say about the thread... except 'good job' to the author, because its a good thread.