Sewing for Superheroes

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Sewing for Superheroes

More superhero movies means less time spent explaining them.

Read Full Article

Feb 13, 2008
Anything that stops me having to turn to someone and explain the plot when I'm still trying to work it out is a great thing.

Now if someone could only explain how the "I was abused as a child" books are a form of entertainment, we'd be set. Actually, make that celebrity biogs as well. I never could understand why someone would want to read a ghost-written story about someone too dull to write it themselves.

But, we've had Superheroes for 50 years now...ish... People are just starting to get zombies, so who knows? Maybe even Luchadores next :)

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
All I'm hoping for is that they skip that part for the Deadpool movie. Try explaining why Deadpool acts the way he does is going to be pretty damn hard.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
But Bob, the Superhero Story is just a modernized version of The Hero's Journey [http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/smc/journey/ref/summary.html]. Why do people really need to become comfortable with something they've already been familiar with for thousands of years? Look at Gilgamesh - possibly the first recorded superhero. Even though it's best film adaptation to date has been the CG-fest of recent years, it still fell short of legendary.

I do agree about the mix of good and bad superhero flicks though. Iron Man + Hulk are all kinds of win, even for the fans of the comics. Some day we'll get a Spidey fighting Green Goblin in an elf costume. Some day.

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
while I can imagine enjoying a take more like the comics, I also like the movies that try to exaplain things.

I think the "begins" batman, for example, explains a lot more than the old batman movies. And I think that all the justifying lead to a deeper backstory and a character that was more easy to feel connected to. I felt like I knew what was going on behind the mask.

For example, they explained the "never kill, only capture" philosophy of batman. They could have relied instead on a trope (everyone knows batman doesn't kill his enemies) but I'm glad that they took the time instead to persuade the audience to get on board with the idea.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Thank you for putting the term "trope" in what is essentially an internet essay. No sarcasm.

As an English major, I always get people asking me, "Why the hell did you decide to do that?" My answer never suffices.

I'd say it's so I can explain complex ideas like tropes, semiology (which doesn't pass as a word on Firefox), and an utterly untold number of other ideas that are quite ubiquitous (if yet unrecognized) in society.

On topic: I don't know if I quite agree that more super hero movies will help solidify the ideas found in comic books in a good way. In other words, the downside is that creating tropes/categories could be a way for quite complex characterizations to be boiled down to "that's just what they do." Essentially, explanation would turn into "natural" language. We all know, however, that there is nothing really natural or inevitable about being evil or good (in fact those terms hardly exist alone), and people often do have complex story lines. However, this idea of "troping" might make it, as you said, a more stream-lined and efficient approach so that the movie-makers *can* focus on the actual backstories of the more interesting characters and don't have to focus on the "why" of their actions, but focus more on the "who" and let the audience fill in the characters with their own understandings. After all, I think that process would allow for far more familiarity and also allow movie-goers to get something more out of the movie than just entertainment. It has its ups and downs, but I'm hoping the positive prevails.

In short, it may help the movie to transcend time and truly become about humanity. Another good side is then I might be able to critique a super hero movie and come up with a good thesis and some A-rated writing. And who wouldn't want that?

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Didn't they already do this with Mr. Freeze in Batman and Robin? The movie was terrible, but I don't remember any back story or costume creation, other than the motivation with his sick wife.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I apologize for being part of the problem and not the solution. While I 'get' it, I like a good back-story and better appreciate characters when they have reasons for becoming what they are rather than donning a ridiculous outfit and committing/preventing crime. People with my mentality are getting in the way of your dream and even though I apologize for it, I'm not going to change.

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
such a nice article, and i can relate to this... recently in the x-men origins movie, the "deadpool" character and where he got his name was so lame and ... not something worth of this guy!

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
AvsJoe said:
I apologize for being part of the problem and not the solution. While I 'get' it, I like a good back-story and better appreciate characters when they have reasons for becoming what they are rather than donning a ridiculous outfit and committing/preventing crime. People with my mentality are getting in the way of your dream and even though I apologize for it, I'm not going to change.
I have but one question for you and your ilk:
Why do you want a guy to be more realistic, when he can fly and shoot lightning bolts from his ass?

Superheroes can certainly live inside a realistic world (ex: The Boys [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boys_(comics)]), just not the well-established ones we all know and love.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Goddammit, why does everyone think Mr. Freeze is too far-fetched for the Nolan Batman movies? Wayne industries already produced a microwave beam that can vaporize the water supply of an entire city and also secretly put sonar emitters in EVERY CELL PHONE EVER.

after that, is a gun that shoots cold really that far-fetched?

Feb 13, 2008
CaptainCrunch said:
But Bob, the Superhero Story is just a modernized version of The Hero's Journey [http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/smc/journey/ref/summary.html].
Yeah, but there's a lot of people who don't believe in the Hero's Journey, or want to know where the Heroine's story is.

Entering the Belly of the Whale is easy to see in normal movies, but unless you know the genre you're going to ask questions like "How come they don't recognise him with the glasses on?", "Why doesn't he just tell them he has powers?" or "What's wrong with removing the mask?"

In a similar way, when Kirk/Picard/Sisko rocks back from a punch and wipes the blood from their lip, we know that they're about to have a CMOA and deck the villain; as we've just gone from Apotheosis to Ultimate Boon. But this scene in superhero films tends to consist of the hero holding their mask in their hand while their Mentor's voice repeats in their head. Unless you know the significance of the mask, the movie falls apart, so it has to be emphasised (taking up time) earlier on in the Crossing the First Threshold, and repeated in Rescue from Without.

That's why Peter Parker inventing a polymer web is "unrealistic" but producing it in his body and then firing it from his wrists is fine; because you can have only one McGuffin and the radioactive spider is his.

TL:DR There are elements to the Monomyth that are specific to the Superhero genre; and Beowulf didn't have great responsibility.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Great read, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

One day I too hope to see all sorts of obscure villains in a superhero movie.

Bring on Carnage. He has no back story, other than loving to kill people. Spiderman should stop him, so he does. Simple, no need to muddle it up with over explaining things or making shit up to appease an audience that needs a gentle hand holding.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
AvsJoe said:
Why do you want a guy to be more realistic, when he can fly and shoot lightning bolts from his ass?
Because I want to find out how he can shoot lightning from his ass. That would be an interesting back-story, as well as his first failed attempts at crime fighting with his new ability would make for some entertaining scenes.

But how about a compromise: half of the supermovies will feature back-stories and have motives for the character's actions and half won't. This will appease both sides of the supermovie-watching audience after a little while of both sides complaining.

oathblade

Aug 16, 2009
I think the problem is the 1% of people who don't get it, and will never get it.

The kids can accept it, so can the fans, but there will always be a small portion of the audience who doesn't. Movie companies have been obsessively searching for ways to make everyone like their movies - but what company doesn't anymore. Until they give up on 'everyone' loving the movie they wont make a really awsome movie..well they did in Watchmen but that was more of a one time deal.

Jul 9, 2008
Quick question: why do we ever want "just because" to be the reason? How is that compelling in the slightest?

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
AvsJoe said:
CaptainCrunch said:
AvsJoe said:
Because I want to find out how he can shoot lightning from his ass. That would be an interesting back-story, as well as his first failed attempts at crime fighting with his new ability would make for some entertaining scenes.

But how about a compromise: half of the supermovies will feature back-stories and have motives for the character's actions and half won't. This will appease both sides of the supermovie-watching audience after a little while of both sides complaining.
I find your compromise agreeable, but we both know that the movie industry is about turning entertainment into big stacks of cash. That's why we have prequels and needless* character back-story elements. I think it's fair to state that entertainment is an entirely different thing than story quality.
*(just my opinion)

I mean to suggest that the addition of such realism (why he shoots lightning from his ass) only serves to distract the audience from what the character really represents. Batman is looking for revenge because his parents died, Spiderman is an awkward teenage nerd, and Superman is a messiah allegory written by Jewish-American immigrants. That's everything you really need to know about them. By putting these core archetypes in spandex and masks, and making them fight other ridiculous-looking people, you don't lose a bit of what they stand for, and it's still flashy and entertaining.

On the other hand, providing explanation and back-story (especially the "re-imagined" ones that appear in movies) turns Batman into a rich guy with impotent rage, Spiderman into an Emo kid, and Superman into a deadbeat dad. Maybe it is more entertaining, and maybe more people can relate to the characters on a personal level. That's when someone (often me) has to stop everyone and say "Dude, they're friggin' superheroes. They aren't supposed to be exactly like you - you're supposed to try to be like them, but without super powers."

orannis62 said:
Quick question: why do we ever want "just because" to be the reason? How is that compelling in the slightest?
As above, "just because" is sometimes better translated as "because it's not important." The thing about superheroes that makes them compelling is the idealism, not how they got that way.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
cobra_ky said:
Goddammit, why does everyone think Mr. Freeze is too far-fetched for the Nolan Batman movies? Wayne industries already produced a microwave beam that can vaporize the water supply of an entire city and also secretly put sonar emitters in EVERY CELL PHONE EVER.

after that, is a gun that shoots cold really that far-fetched?
No, but a guy wearing a bubble-headed suit of mechanical armor because he'll die if his body temperature rises above freezing probably is. Now, you can do it without all that and just have, say, a guy with a big spray-gun full of liquid nitrogen and a biohazard-type suit so he doesn't get any on him... but at that point is it "really" Mr. Freeze, or even all that interesting? Without the science-fiction origin story, there isn't much reason for him to be giving himself the cute nickname or embarking on a life of super-crime, since there's no logical reason for someone to rob banks by freezing stuff when he could just use dynamite.

Same thing goes for someone like Poison Ivy: You can DO it, but given that this is a series that used Ras Al Ghul but nixed the Lazarus Pits you're probably NOT going to get a gorgeous redhead in a green one-piece attacking the city with giant prehensile vines or sentient venus-flytraps. Instead, she'd probably be an ordinary looking woman who's an "eco-terrorist." And maybe they'd do the poison-lipstick thing.

bthecollector

Jun 22, 2009
I have to agree, but also feel there is a double-edged sword to this. As long as the powers that be feel the need to "dumb down" origin stories for the masses and add useless material to the plot for general acceptance, we may still have the problem of needless material added for pointless reasons. Example-a flashback of wolverine as a kid with bone claws-wtf

General Store

Apr 15, 2009
The Captain is right about one thing, comic book heroes are usually paragons of justice and whatnot and this is all fine and well in the comic book medium. However individual comic books are much shorter than movies (Duh) wile whole series are much longer. A movie, that has to last at least an hour and no more than 3, must find a way to fill-out one comic book with back story and emotion (eg. Batman) or try to cram an entire series down our throats in one sitting (eg. watchman). Not to mention in live action the actors (understandably) want to do more with their characters than simply be good/evil in bright costumes.My point is I think most people get superhero tropes it's just that the medium of film is not hospitable to them.

Also I don't see anything wrong with more human and understandable characters. I happen to be a fan of Heroes and Smallville, both shows seem to go out of their way to avoid superhero tropes and find themselves in new and interesting places because of it.