Remedy Files New Death Rally Trademark

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Remedy Files New Death Rally Trademark

Alan Wake [http://www.remedygames.com/], has filed a trademark for a new thought-provoking, character-driven gaming experience: Death Rally.

The preceding statement may not have been entirely true: I don't think it's very likely that Death Rally will be either thought-provoking or character-driven and it's certainly not new: Apogee [http://www.3drealms.com/rally/] banner. The only truth to be found anywhere in that sentence, in fact, is that the studio has filed a trademark for a new version of the game.

The USPTO filing [http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=77838850] doesn't say much: The trademark is for "computer game software, and any printed instructions or printed hint manuals sold therewith as a unit." Fortunately, Remedy's Oskari Häkkinen was willing to shed a little more light on the matter. "There are quite a few fans of Death Rally out there and over the years Remedy has been hit by various requests time and again to do something around it," he said. "With Death Rally we're looking at getting something neat out to the community by having a version that is playable on modern PCs out there."

"This is more of a sweet small thing for people, rather than a full scale commercial project at this point," he continued. "We've really enjoyed playing some of the classic games that we have grown up with, and having the opportunity to revisit Death Rally and to share those memories with the fans and community would simply just be cool." A launch date and other details haven't been settled, he added.

It may be a "small thing" but as a fan of guns, cars and Remedy, I don't see how any combination of the three could possibly add up to anything less than a fuel injected suicide machine of awesome.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Hopefully it'll turn out to be awesome. If it doesn't then they can expect a very angry letter from me. >:[

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
A remake of smash-n-crash race game? Nice. But isn't that a Carmageddon screenshot?

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Now this can be fun. The old one is at least. Would be sweet if this turned into some kind of mix between Vigilante and Carmageddon. Which I believe you could call the original one.
Need more cars, courses and weapons though. The original did get a bit boring eventually.

Crossborder

Oct 16, 2008
That game is awesome! I used to play it on my windows 95 computer. Good times.. good times...

DJPirtu

Nov 24, 2008
Does anyone else think that if they were to make a new Death Rally, they should really hook up with Bugbear Entertainment?

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Kollega said:
A remake of smash-n-crash race game? Nice. But isn't that a Carmageddon screenshot?
That is a Death Rally screenshot.

I was just playing it 15 minutes ago.

Man the classics with never die.

TPXKalTorak

Jun 27, 2009
Death race is one of my all time favorite DOS games. Couldnt get enough of it as a kid. Cant wait for the release date to be confirmed.

Rane2k

Aug 21, 2009
Death Rally! Nice!

A friend and I played it a again a few month ago, because he had a PC with Win98 standing around, good times.

"I got petrol in my veins!"

Ultima Shadow

Apr 8, 2009
Hmm, I think my prayers were just answered. I do wonder, however, if Duke Nukem would be a character in this installment...