Bullet Impact At '1,000,000 Frames Per Second'

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Bullet Impact At '1,000,000 Frames Per Second'

Speaking as a dude, bullets are pretty cool. They kill stuff, they open doors, and they make red barrels instantaneously nuclear. The only way they could be any cooler is if we could watch their ballet of destruction in super slow motion.

At times like this, I'm grateful for artists like Werner Mehl who spent seconds of his life recording the catastrophic, yet gorgeously mesmerising collisions of bullets with real world items in, what he claims, is video shot at 1,000,000 frames per second.

I'm not going to say he didn't find some amazingly quick camera capable of capturing images faster than a speedfreak cheetah, but "1,000,000" seems like one of those numbers a six-year-old would offer his mom when asked "how many times did you wash your hands before dinner?"

Still, even with hyperbolic number fudging, the video is awesome, and lends further credence to my original "bullets are pretty cool" hypothesis. Thank god there's no way these things could ever be used to cause anyone harm.

(Via Geekologie [http://www.geekologie.com/2009/10/i_cant_even_believe_thats_real.php])

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
Ya know, I always wondered what it looked like in really-really-really-really-really-really slow motion when my bullets hit their target.

My prayers have been answered (seriously, I couldn't help but watch that bird-shot scene like 20 times!).

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I love the bucksht at the end.

Although I spent the whole thing marvelling at the fluid dynamics of the bullet...

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Really high quality. Impressive. I really enjoyed watching that. Especially the high caliber ones that kind of peeled away.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
I just saw this linked on Roasted Blend, amazing. I'd like to point out that there is an alternate version of the video, with different music. Some people might want to check this guy's Youtube account to look at the other.

Birras

Jun 19, 2008
LordCuthberton said:
Read about it in the paper, they took a still of a rose being shot..

GUESS WHAT BAND THEY REFERNCED IN THE HEADLINE GODDAMNIT!
Errr....Led Zepplin?

On topic, it's good to know that bullets go through things like they were water. Now I can provide an accurate description of the spectacle that occurred whenever I shoot someone.

LazerFX

Driver
Sep 10, 2008
And when you look at the site itself (kurzzeit.com), they're manufacturers and sellers of high-speed cameras, Real Time Trigger Systems, ultra-high powered flash-lights (3,000W bulb, anyone?) and all the other paraphernalia that makes up high-speed bullet photography.

You also realise that the shots in that movie are at a range of speeds - from 250,000 fps to 1,000,000 fps. They've got a comparison on the website of a 1,000,000 fps bullet impact to a 500,000 fps one...

It's also interesting to read about the cameras that take these shots - they're of a necessity low-resolution (The Shimadzu HPV-1 is just 312x260) due to the ultra-high speed of the capture (I suspect they actually use a higher resolution CCD, and phase-read the inputs so that they capture only a percentage of the available sensor space each frame...)

OK, enough waffling - I just wanted to point out that the 1,000,000 fps is backed by facts and suchlike, not a figure that's been pulled out of someone's derrière.