Rocket Knight Remake Video Explains What Rocket Knight Is

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rocket Knight Remake Video Explains What Rocket Knight Is

If you haven't heard of Rocket Knight, you probably don't care that it is being remade. If you like side-scrolling platformers though, you should probably check it out.

Last week, 1up broke the news [http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176338] on an upcoming Rocket Knight remake, but it's hard to get excited unless you actually know what a Rocket Knight is. Now, the perfect trailer has been released for those that don't know, showing the Genesis originals in action as well as footage of the remake.

Rocket Knight is a series of 2D games created by Konami in the 90s. The series' main character is an opossum rocking a jetpack, full suit of armor, and a sword. He typically goes by the name Sparkster, but he probably won't hate if you call him Rocket Knight.

Lending credence to this anthropomorphic star is his creator, Konami's Nobuya Nakazato, who also worked on various Contra titles. The remake, simply called Rocket Knight at the moment, is a brand new game in the series, not a re-skin, and is in development for XBLA, PSN, and PC (via Steam).

Many aspects of the previous Rocket Knight games will be tweaked and brought back in the remake, such as the side-scrolling shump-type levels. And, to tap into the spirit of the early 90s, Rocket Knight will have an Arcade mode that will omit the ability to save, allow level-by-level progress only, and will generally make things harder. For casual gamers, there will also be a Free Play mode that will allow saving and the choice of stages through a level map.

Platformers seem to have found a brand new home on digital distribution services. A Rocket Knight remake would probably have never seen a retail release; even on the Wii it probably just wouldn't sell very well, as I'm sure the Klonoa remake did not. Being able to download Rocket Knight for probably $10 to $15 (not that pricing information has been released yet) makes it much more attractive than a $40 retail game. Rocket Knight is expected in early 2010.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176349]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Sweet!
The Jet Pack mechanic looks interesting.
I think ill try it out when it comes out.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
Oh man. I loved the original. (even if it was hard as all hell)
I'll have to check this out when it's released.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Never heard of it prior to this, but looks very impressive nonetheless.

I have a growing concern that games on XBL etc are showing more scope outside of the "gritty" death-o-thons than retail seems.

hagaya

Sep 1, 2008
I think I may have soiled myself.

The original was one of my Genesis favorites, and I still played through it despite being tear-jerkingly impossible. This original is either a blessing to my life as a gamer; or, if the challenge still stands, a curse to my social life. Either way, Konami just made this the best day of the week.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Huzzah! I have fond memories of Rocket Knight, so this news pleases me! Will have to check this one out...

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
i grew up on this game and i cant wait to play this. hopefully ill have a new 360 in time.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
that music from the first clip takes me back
ahhhh memories, always had a hunch he was a possum

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
While this look fun I refuse to enjoy it on the grounds that opossums are one of the most annoying and disgusting creatures on god's green earth.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Hmm...I'm not liking the look of Sparkster. Did anybody else notice the downgrade in emotional expression he appears to have from Sparkster? He just seems to lack character, and for an opossum rocking a jetpack while in a full suit of armor and holding a sword that shoots laser beams, that says something.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
I WILL buy this.
My only gripe would be that Sparkster doesn't seem to be as detailed as in previous installments.

SpiritMacardi

Feb 4, 2008
One problem with the article, it said the new Rocket Knight is a remake. It's actually a sequel, so the previous games are still a part of its timeline.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
He typically goes by the name Sparkster, but he probably won't hate if you call him Rocket Knight.
Actually, he probably would.
Rocket knight is his military profession, calling him "Rocket Knight" would be like calling an Air Force pilot "Pilot".