Is Protagonist Cole McGrath Being Recast for InFamous Sequel?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Is Protagonist Cole McGrath Being Recast for InFamous Sequel?

A sequel to this year's InFamous may be in the works with a brand new Cole McGrath, according to an accidental leak via Twitter.

Oh, that wacky Twitter. Spur-of-the-moment microblogging can be both astoundingly convenient - for, say, Tweeting about your exciting experience mere moments after having your plane being crash-land in the Hudson River - and also astoundingly inconvenient ... particularly if you're trying to keep something a secret (just ask Peter Molyneux [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90076-Fable-III-Accidentally-Announced]).

Consequently, there may be more than a few people over at InFamous development studio Sucker Punch who are busy /facepalming today thanks to this Tweet [http://twitter.com/_david_sullivan/status/4835089986] from actor David Sullivan: "First voiceover/motion capture audition today for a video game. Re-casting of Cole in the sequel of Infamous. "I'll melt your face." e.g"

This leads us to believe that A.) Sucker Punch is busy working on InFamous 2 (oh, like you didn't see that one coming) and B.) that main character Cole McGrath may not be the same as you remember him.

Of course, there's no official announcement yet and Sony is being predictably tight-lipped as reports G4 [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/699926/Sucker-Punch-Auditioning-For-inFamous-2-Possibly-Recasting-Main-Character.html], so for now this goes straight into the proverbial "unconfirmed" bin. (Also, Mr. Sullivan, you might want to start looking for work someplace else. I can't imagine Sucker Punch is all that happy with you at the moment).

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/13/actors-twitter-hints-at-infamous-lead-recasting/])

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Good. His voice was way too gravely. Even though it fit the character, it was really hard on the ears at times.

Sgtkillalot0

Sep 29, 2009
So if InFamous 2 is in the works, is its rival, [PROTOTYPE]2, being made as well? I can only hope.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
His voice was widely criticized as one of the only annoying things in the game, but changing it would change his character completely.
Well whatever happens...
We'll all be in shock. Get it? Get it?

[small][sub]I thought it was funny[/sub][/small]

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Whoa, I totally misread the title. I read "recast" as "racist". That would be a much more interesting story. As it stands, I don't care who does the voice acting. I'm sure they'll get some generic, gruff-sounding guy.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Sgtkillalot0 said:
So if InFamous 2 is in the works, is its rival, [PROTOTYPE]2, being made as well? I can only hope.
It's published by Activision. Of course, it's getting a sequal. Bobby Kotchick confirmed this months before it was even released.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Sgtkillalot0 said:
yeah but really InFamous did everything a bit better, including winning the photoshop contest.

i didn't mind [PROTOTYPE] but i really preferred InFamous, the way the controls were done was better. tho i think it could also be down to Activision being jerks and not wanting to spend time to program for a controller they've been using for the past 10 years and now claiming it's "too hard"

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Whoa, I totally misread the title. I read "recast" as "racist". That would be a much more interesting story. As it stands, I don't care who does the voice acting. I'm sure they'll get some generic, gruff-sounding guy.
I read it the exact same way, while reading the article i was then slightly confused as to why it mentioned nothing of the sort, then i reread the title.

OT: I didn't have too big a problem with the voice, but a change might be good.

mysticite

Sep 11, 2009
Bah, hopefully he'll remind me less of an emotionless potato-head eastenders character now?

...I doubt it.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
Kalezian said:
IdealistCommi said:
Meh, he voice was like gravel. As long as it doesn't get worse.
I can only imagine it being simply:

/Snip (doesn't need to be posted again)

next time you play Infamous, you will hear his voice in the tone of link.
I couldn't help but laugh at this.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
I thought the same thing, and even looked through the article to see where racism had anything to do with anything. So it wasn't, I was confused, and it was only until I read your post that I finally noticed.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
I lol'd and then realized how meaningless the Tweet is. It basically only told us the obvious, that there will be a sequel. If they think that is a secret, they live under the dirt away from the internet.

Hopefully they will fix the controls since Cole handled like ass and couldn't autolock.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
I was thinking the same thing the way it cuts off at r on the recent news section

a new voice actor isn't wanted by me but staying with the same one isn't needed either but i hope the character doesn't change drasticlly becuase of it.