Breaking the Ice, CEO Style

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Breaking the Ice, CEO Style

What do Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime, EA's Peter Moore, and The Escapist's publisher Alexander Macris all have in common? They've all been quoted by Forbes, and they all know how to give a damn good presentation.

Now, despite what the media might think, we gamers are a fairly wide and diverse bunch. Students game, professors game, scientists game - even as related by Forbes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94875-Buddhist-Religious-Leader-Says-Games-Satiate-Aggression]: How do you give a good presentation?

If you're a gamer speaking to other gamers, there's automatically a connection there, and a shared hobby results in a basic level of interest in whatever you're saying. But if you're a gamer speaking to non-gamers - especially on a business level - it's significantly more difficult to grab their attention. That means that the presenter has to work that much harder to keep them interested in the words coming out of their mouth.

"I try to be high energy, I try to engage the audience (show of hands, votes, etc.)," says Macris. The value of humor cannot be underestimated, he explained, not just as an ice-breaker but to show the audience you know your stuff: "I ad-lib a lot, and I try to win a laugh. A bit of self-deprecating humor can be very disarming, and it demonstrates that you have the confidence, not just to present, but to laugh at yourself in front of others while doing so."

Come to think of it, this might not be just a CEO thing. People fear public speaking more than they fear death, after all - so every last bit of advice helps.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
I demand a weekly video column from Mr. Macris...

... Ok, I'll settle for a "one time thing - speaking to the Escapist users" or something.

Edit: Or I'll start a boycott group, get 60 thousand followers, get flown there, then give up a few months later!

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
I really would like to see a presentation by him...and also a job working at The Escapist....unpaid internship ftw!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Yeah, people's eyes tend to roll as soon as you mention games. It's hard to describe the hobby/medium.

hansari

May 31, 2009
If its a matter of clueless investors, it can't be too difficult of a sell now. I mean, The Escapist has pretty solid web traffic records...

Then again, it was probably the opposite when it was first starting up...

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
+1 for self-depreciating humor, else you come off as more arrogant than you really are...

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Valiance said:
+1 for self-depreciating humor, else you come off as more arrogant than you really are...
I find being able to take the piss out of yourself is not only good when orating but pretty much the best defence against anyone trying to put you down, becuase its not fun attacking someone who brings up and jokes on their own faults.

Such as the above, I'd like to see a show of hands of who thinks my grammar is shit?, also I'm a cock!.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
It is good to see the community represented by some outstanding individuals once in awhile.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Caliostro said:
Alex already writes a monthly column - Publisher's Note [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/publishers-note].

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Virgil said:
Caliostro said:
Alex already writes a monthly column - Publisher's Note [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/publishers-note].
I know, quite enjoyed it, specially these last 2. But he needs a video column... At least once. Maybe a special edition of his weekly written one. Come on! This whole article was basically trumpeting his presentation skills! Now we're on. We're enticed! We want some!

(In other words, I'm extremely curious as to what a "Mr. Alexander Macris Presentation" is like.)

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'll have to remember this advice for the next time I'm speaking in front of dozens of people or more. It's not that I'm afraid of public speaking, I'm just not good at it.

Rensa

Nov 4, 2008
Nobody's born good at public speaking; you have to do it to get better at it. I'd say it's equal parts knowledge and attitude: knowing your content intimately enables you to be flexible (not to mention much more engaging than someone who's speaking from rote), but if you don't have the self-esteem to live with yourself however the presentation goes, it can be difficult to progress as the audience size increases.

I was no good at oral presentations in school, but after a year as a blackjack dealer I found I was a lot different. When you're dealing with half a dozen drunk guys who are slapping the table and screeching for a picture card, you need to be both interested enough in them to give them an enthusiastic customer experience and self-absorbed enough to dismiss their behaviour and opinion of you afterward.