BioWare Plans Two Years of DLC for Dragon Age: Origins

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.bioware.com] franchise, with plans to support the game with DLC for at least the next two years.

Dragon Age: Origins isn't going to be a game you just play, uninstall and forget. Not only is it a massive, epic RPG, BioWare is also taking steps to ensure that you'll keep it installed on your system even after you've saved the day and gone home with the prom queen. Executive Producer Mark Darrah told The Game Reviews [http://www.thegamereviews.com/articlenav-1546-page-3.html] that the company has plans for a wide range of Dragon Age DLC that it intends to release over the next two years.

"We have plans that stretch out for basically two years. And it's going to be everything from really small stuff like item packs up to larger quests that might last an hour or two up to even fully fledged expansion packs," he said. "Really it's a broad, long term support plan for the game."

The DLC is planned for all platforms, he said; while BioWare might eventually put out "something related to the toolset" which would naturally be PC only, "everything [else] is planned to be across all platforms."

The studio is also exploring options for getting user-generated content out to console gamers. That sort of material has typically been reserved for PC gamers and while there are obviously some challenges in getting it to consoles, he said, "It would be something we would love to do."

via: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/two-years-of-dlc-planned-for-dragon-age]

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
That sounds really good. Especially if they put lots of work into the DLC. Atleast it gives the company something to do until they can think of a new product.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
LTK_70 said:
Man, this just keeps getting better, doesn't it?
That's what I'm thinking!
Bioware, gimme addons!

I also remember hearing something about the best user-made modules possibly being compiled for console release (Possibly), which would also rock my socks. Though I'll be happy with the 'official' stuff too...since it's Bioware and I'd let them have their way with me if they wanted.

...Did I come on too strong?

Mar 17, 2009
I still can't get over the fact they plan on releasing DLC (the kind you have to pay for) on launch day.

Other than that, yeah, it's looking pretty good.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Eeeeee! :D

Each time I hear about this game its always good news. I can't wait to get it.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
I'm pumped for this game, and who doesn't love a little TLC- I mean DLC?
I'm glad they'll be pumping out DCL for 2 years, it will keep things interesting and fresh!

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
Er....Mass Effect DLC anyone? Two of which only 1 was any good. Promises are easy to make.

EDIT: And I still haven't decided whether or not to buy this.

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
We get quality content, Bioware get more profit and therefore larger budgets on future titles, We get more quality products, Bioware get even more profit etc... This is a self prepetuating RPG fan paradise I can see nothing wrong with this unless... if bioware do not keep this promise about dlc there could be the possibility of a group of bioware boycotters rising up, oh God I hope not.

kotorfan04

Aug 7, 2009
There wasn't much Mass Effect DLC but I think it was shirked because BioWare wanted to get on with all their other projects like well Dragon Age: Origins, ME2, and my personnel favorite TOR: The MMO. But I think the DA:O Team will having nothing else to do for a while so they will be put on DLC duty while the ME team works on ME2 and ME3 while TOR Team works on releasing the WoW killer and making sure it is fucking amazing. Yes I do love BioWare, how did you guess?

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
Sean B. said:
Holy Crap User-Generated Content on the Xbox 360!,I think I just...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4.
Sir, I believe you just failed at the internet.

Anyway on topic now, I love Bioware, I've played all of their games numerous times just because of how awesome they are, even that Sonic RPG on the DS, thats how devoted I am. I was going to get this game regardless of whether or not the put DLC out because their games are great even without it. But you can never have too much of a good thing, so this just sweetens the deal for me.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Kwil said:
Guh. I still haven't finished NWN2, never mind the expansions.
Not a Bioware game.

Still, this is first game since NwN that has additional content within a week of the release. Although NwN had it a bit easier, considering that there was a module builder with the game... Makes me want Dragon Age more and more.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Malygris said:

Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.bioware.com] franchise, with plans to support the game with DLC for at least the next two years.

Dragon Age: Origins isn't going to be a game you just play, uninstall and forget. Not only is it a massive, epic RPG, BioWare is also taking steps to ensure that you'll keep it installed on your system even after you've saved the day and gone home with the prom queen. Executive Producer Mark Darrah told The Game Reviews [http://www.thegamereviews.com/articlenav-1546-page-3.html] that the company has plans for a wide range of Dragon Age DLC that it intends to release over the next two years.

"We have plans that stretch out for basically two years. And it's going to be everything from really small stuff like item packs up to larger quests that might last an hour or two up to even fully fledged expansion packs," he said. "Really it's a broad, long term support plan for the game."

The DLC is planned for all platforms, he said; while BioWare might eventually put out "something related to the toolset" which would naturally be PC only, "everything [else] is planned to be across all platforms."

The studio is also exploring options for getting user-generated content out to console gamers. That sort of material has typically been reserved for PC gamers and while there are obviously some challenges in getting it to consoles, he said, "It would be something we would love to do."

via: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/two-years-of-dlc-planned-for-dragon-age]

So we get 2 expansion packs, one being broken up in 20 almost full priced segments and the editor is horribly gimped to work on consoles like in far cry 2?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nimbus said:
Ugh. Couldn't they just make the whole game and then release it?
Assuming the development time is equal, sure - if you want to wait two more years for it :p

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
You could say Mass Effect had two years of DLC.

I am glad though, I'm waiting for Dragon Age with baited breath. FOr the first time since FFXII.