Computers Will Eventually Reach a Quantum Speed Limit

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Computers Will Eventually Reach a Quantum Speed Limit

Computers keep getting faster and faster and faster and faster, but eventually this will come to an end.

In 1965, Intel co-founder Gordon E. Moore predicted that the number of transistors we would have the ability to affordably pack onto a computer chip would double every two years, increasing computer speed along the way. Over the decades since, this prediction, dubbed Moore's Law, has held to be somewhat true. Two physicists, Lev Levitin and Tommaso Toffoli from Boston University, have calculated that if we keep progressing at the approximate speed of Moore's Law, computer speed will actually reach a limit within 75 to 80 years.

This limit is based on the smallest amount of time that it takes a quantum computer to complete a quantum elementary operation, the most basic of computing tasks. Using this number, Levitin and Toffoli have figured out the fastest speed that any computer can possilbly operate at, a fundamental limit similar to that posed by the speed of light. Even after reaching this speed, computers will churn out ten quadrillion more operations per second than the fastest processors of today, so by then we'll probably have video games beyond our wildest imaginations anyway (or be slaves in the Matrix).

Quantum computers still have to be figured out, though. They can apparently be rather unstable creatures, not tolerating even the smallest bit of "noise — a kink in a wire or a change in temperature," so there are technological barriers in place. Due to these barriers, some believe that Moore's Law will actually stall in around 20 years, increasing the time that it will take to reach the computational speed limit.

On the contrary, the speed limit does not account for the fact that advances in human technology are only made when hidden sects of the government release fragments of alien technology harvested from various crash sites over the years. Once we actually get that good stuff, this limit may not apply.

Source: Slashdot [http://www.insidescience.org/research/computers_faster_only_for_75_more_years]

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I envision computers that can look back in time to see what we want before we get there.

That's the quantum I've imagined right thar :p aside from this, that's damn scary how fast computers are going to get

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
dogstile said:
I envision computers that can look back in time to see what we want before we get there.
Don't you mean look forward? If they look back, you haven't chosen what you want yet.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
So does this mean that I'm going to have my super computer soon?

I mean, I have to take over help the world.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I'll be dead by then so what the hell do I care?

I do kinda want my super computer though, even if I will be dead

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
well considering modern gaming consoles are stronger than a 90s supercomputer I'm not suprised we will keep getting faster and I suppose there will be a limit but as long as its fast I dont care

TheBigNoob

Oct 15, 2009
At the same time, with medical advancements moving the way they are, maybe we will live to see the speed of light computer.

I for one will be glad to be one of those old guys staring at a computer, completely perplexed by it while my ten year old great grand son does his finite quantum loop gravitational field homework in the loop gravitational field program that comes basic in Windows 42 on his Dell 3100x10^15 and laughs that I lived in a time when we still believed in String Theory.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Doesn't bother me much. The only people who are going to be bothered by theoretical speed limits on quantum computing are the people who are going to want to simulate the entire universe down to the atomic level, and even then you can just use parallel processing to boost your overall number-crunching throughput.

Alkey42

Oct 15, 2009
I don't understand how Moore's Law applies to quantum computers. Moore's law says transistor count will double on a given die, or gate length will half, something to that effect. Quantum computers don't use transistors. The way I understand it, quantum computer's are great at factoring or database searches, finding a needle in a haystack. However they would be slower than traditional computers at adding 1+1.

Xorghul

Jul 2, 2008
80 to 90 years?!?
I might be dead by then!
Can't we get them in, say 15-20 years instead? Pwetty pwease?

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
I think that in our excitement about this new technology, we have forgotten one very important question: Will it run Crysis?

OT: This sounds like a great(If risky) idea. If computers could achieve that sort of processing speed, you could process genomes in a vanishingly small amount of time compared to today's computers (Which find it difficult to process bacterial genomes). The one problem is that a computer crash could kill thousands. *laughs*

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
But since everything goes super fast, nothing will. And people will still want to go faster than everyone else.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Alkey42 said:
I don't understand how Moore's Law applies to quantum computers. Moore's law says transistor count will double on a given die, or gate length will half, something to that effect. Quantum computers don't use transistors. The way I understand it, quantum computer's are great at factoring or database searches, finding a needle in a haystack. However they would be slower than traditional computers at adding 1+1.
I don't think this is so much about Moore's Law applying to quantum computers, they're just using Moore's Law as a reference because that's the approximate speed we increase at now.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
So they're measuring how fast computers will handle in the future by how fast current tech is? Right?

Never know, we might just discover something that jumps us way ahead.

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
On the contrary, the speed limit does not account for the fact that advances in human technology are only made when hidden sects of the government release fragments of alien technology harvested from various crash sites over the years. Once we actually get that good stuff, this limit may not apply.
Someone else believes it too!!! :D