Activision Pulls Kurt Cobain GH5 Videos From YouTube

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Pulls Kurt Cobain GH5 Videos From YouTube

Guitar Hero 5 [http://www.activision.com] from YouTube, claiming they violate copyright.

For those who care about such things, the infamous video of Kurt Cobain singing songs by Public Enemy, Bon Jovi, Megadeth and others in GH5 was tantamount to sacrilege and also painted a painfully vivid picture of why so many people were unhappy with Activision's decision to include the former Nirvana frontman as a playable character. Watching Cobain belt out "You Give Love a Bad Name" may or may not be a hilarious spectacle but it's hard to argue regardless of your opinion that it's not in extremely bad taste.

That's a tougher call to make now, however, as the video has apparently been pulled from Kotaku [http://www.youtube.com], "My last account was permanently disabled due to (I think) Activision. Right before my account was shut down, the Kurt Cobain vid was removed due to copyright claim by Activision Games Inc."

It's unclear whether this is the only Cobain video Activision has pulled or if the company is going after all videos featuring him performing non-Nirvana material. rendition of No Doubt's "Ex-Girlfriend," [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225462?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS] my personal favorite) are still kicking around.

It's a potentially dicey situation because there are literally hundreds of thousands of Guitar Hero videos on YouTube and Activision, as far as I know, has never before shown any interest in them, yet unflattering portrayals of Cobain are apparently bringing down the copyright hammer. Maybe it's a response to Courtney Love's threat to sue [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94589-Courtney-Love-Enraged-At-Guitar-Hero-5s-Cobain-Cameo] the company over its use of Cobain's image, despite her earlier approval? Be that as it may, I'm no expert on the matter but I don't think copyright laws were meant to be wielded quite this selectively.

We've asked Activision if it can give us the real skinny on what's happening here, an inquiry I expect will go completely ignored, but if they happen to get back to us on this one we'll be sure to keep you posted.

(And if you haven't seen the video in question yet, you might still be able to get a look at it, maybe... here [http://oxcgn.com/2009/09/14/cobain-chaos-why-harmonix-wins-activision-gets-sued/].)

Feb 13, 2008
Durahan2 said:
Artemus_Cain said:
Really? I still don't see why everyone's making such a big stink about this.
Agreed.
Nevermind.

/dark_black_humour

Seriously, what did they expect was going to happen if they put someone infamous for being anti-authoritarian in with pop songs?

Monkeytacoz

Sep 22, 2009
honestly, who gives a shit. what makes him so special that they have to remove videos of people playing as him in a game they put him in?

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
By next week there will be just as many videos and they got so many views
The law maybe powerful but they can't take away memories

Seriously though I can't believe they actually did anything about this

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Artemus_Cain said:
Double agreed. I just don't see WTF is the big deal with him "singing" another song...I mean for the love of god it's seriously NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL.

Durahan2

Mar 12, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Durahan2 said:
Artemus_Cain said:
Agreed.
Nevermind.

/dark_black_humour

Seriously, what did they expect was going to happen if they put someone infamous for being anti-authoritarian in with pop songs?
Well this is Activision we're talking about here. So I'm guessing it was just the people up stairs not thinking. Still funny as hell to watch though haha...I'm going to get flak for that aren't I?

Nugma

Jul 26, 2009
We live in an evil, greedy world. What's the problem? What does ActivisionBlizzard or Courtney Love gain or lose from this? Nothing? Well then what on earth is the problem?

Dan Shive

Jun 9, 2008
It would be nice if these articles about Cobain and GH5 would reiterate WHY people are upset about it. It would only take a sentence or two: "One of the issues that lead to Cobain's suicide was the commercialization of his work."

It's been left vague in almost every article I've seen on it, and the comments for each article inevitably ask "why do people care?" A very brief refresher for those who don't read every Escapist article and those who don't devote much of their memory to Cobain and the issues thereof seems prudent.

EDIT: Granted, the article does link to previous articles, so I suppose that's the reiteration ^^;

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Dan Shive said:
"One of the issues that lead to Cobain's suicide was the commercialization of his work."
Exactly. That is the problem here, for many of Kurt Cobain's fans, this akin to dragging his corpse out the ground, slapping a smiley face on it and having it perform the chicken dance. Its the evil twin or anti-christ to what Kurt Cobain and his music were all about. And even if you are unwilling to accept that, it still reminds people of his suicide, which I personally really wish he hadn't gone through with.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
You guys are cold. I'm not a big Cobain fan but do you not think it's a little disrespectful? I'm not saying they should have pulled the video, I'm saying that they shouldn't have included Kurt Cobain in the first place. The game itself is to blame, not some guy who made an admittedly funny video. Actually, whoever signed over the rights is really to blame, they should have read the contract properly... oh sorry, I forgot it was Courtney Love who signed it.

-Orgasmatron-

Nov 3, 2008
Monkeytacoz said:
honestly, who gives a shit. what makes him so special that they have to remove videos of people playing as him in a game they put him in?
Him being Kurt motherfucking Cobain, that's what.