EA Wants Its Brass Knuckles Back

Michael Grimm

Feb 23, 2009
EA Wants Its Brass Knuckles Back

In an attempt to repair a mammoth PR blunder, EA has recalled promotional Godfather 2 brass knuckles that are illegal in many states.

The golden brass knuckles made their way to multiple media and press outlets only after EA apparently realized that the item is an illegal weapon in many states. While the knuckles were certainly only intended for display uses and not for settling intra-office arguments as to which Mega Man game is the best (it's 3), display-only brass knuckles are pretty much identical to breaking-human-faces brass knuckles.

EA has requested that the knuckles be returned so that they can be "properly disposed of."

In addition to multiple other states, the weapon is illegal in EA's home state of California. As stated in the California Penal Code: "Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any[...]metal knuckles[...]"

While it's unlikely any of the states will prosecute what's obviously a big marketing gaffe, it's unnecessary egg on EA's face that could have easily been avoided had anyone thought to check the legality of mailing out a bunch of weapons across the country. On the other hand, we're all slightly more aware of Godfather 2. Mission accomplished?

Source: <a href="http://kotaku.com/5207521/ea-ships-illegal-weapons-to-press-wants-them-back"
target="_blank">Kotaku

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
...I wonder if I can get a pair...
To tell to the truth, if Godfather II becomes a real hit, and they're trying to destroy most of these, they might be worth some money in the future...

clicketycrack

Apr 6, 2009
I thought it was pretty common knowledge that brass knuckles are illegal. WAIT! I know a way to make brass knuckles legal! People are killed by baseball bats pretty often right but they're still legal. All we have to do is make a sport that utilises the hitting power of brass knuckles. It can be like a cross between volleyball and boxing. It'll catch on like wildfire!

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
MaxTheReaper said:
Caliostro said:
Only in america are brass knuckles illegal, but firearms are not.
Whoa, whoa. We can't let people walk around with brass knuckles. They might hurt someone.
I realise you're being ironic, but it worries me that some people could and definitely WOULD use this as what they would consider a legitimate defence. But I'd rather not have this thread turn into a gun-ownership argument (I'm British, I don't get a say in it...) so I'll stop that train of thought there.

EA, what the hell were you thinking this time? "Display" Brass Knuckles? Someone will inevitably get ahold of one of these and hurt someone, whether directly or by misadventure (I envision a bored journalist shadow-boxing with these to look cool and then being startled by a fellow journo trying to inform him about the recall...), and then EA's ass is really on the line.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
LoopyDood said:
MaxTheReaper said:
To tell to the truth, if Godfather II becomes a real hit, and they're trying to destroy most of these, they might be worth some money in the future...
You'd think they'd realize that, being businessmen.
Caliostro said:
Whoa, whoa. We can't let people walk around with brass knuckles. They might hurt someone.
Here's your free gun sir. Make a joke, get a free gun, american policy.

Azrael_0

Jan 12, 2008
I wonder, how are EA going to make people , who already bought the game return theirs. I know I wouldn't.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
Ah, thank you. I had to ditch the last one.
It was evidence in a spree killing, you understand.
Oh of course, you can't keep your killing spree gun, that would be silly.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
Caliostro said:
That's not even remotely true. There are many states in which you require many, many permits to own a firearm. Add to that, knives which have a two-sided blade are illegal, as are switchblades, zip-guns, stilettos, throwing stars, and any other concealable weapon.

It's extremely difficult (and highly illegal) to obtain a gun through any other meanss that an authorized retailer. On top of that, in nearly all instances you require paperwok and a waiting period.

Thingo

Aug 14, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
LoopyDood said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Caliostro said:

Exactly! unlike those cute little guns, which have absolutely no way of harming anyone in any way.

And couldnt they have sent gangster hats or something instead of REAL brass knuckles? This says alot about how stupid the people at EA really are.

Jul 9, 2008
Bored Tomatoe said:
MaxTheReaper said:
LoopyDood said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Caliostro said:
Reminds me of a joke in GTA: San Andreas

*Cesar hands CJ a Silenced Pistol*
CJ-Whoa, where'd you get that?
Cesar-Same place I bought my pants. This is America.

Sigenrecht

Mar 17, 2008
By "properly dispose of", they of course mean to pound the moron who fucked this up and then stuff them in his liquefied colon as he floats down the Colorado.

That, at least, is what I imagine. It just sounded really dark and kind of bad-ass when they say "properly dispose of", dontcha think?