Tecmo Koei Mashing Fist of the North Star With Dynasty Warriors

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Tecmo Koei Mashing Fist of the North Star With Dynasty Warriors

The Dynasty Warriors series already made a divergence into Gundam territory, and now is taking on another bloodier property: Fist of the North Star.

Say what you will about Dynasty Warriors, it must be somewhat successful or there wouldn't be ten billion games in the series. Now Tecmo Koei is merging the hyper-violent Fist of the North Star manga and anime series (known as Hokuto no Ken in Japan) into a Dynasty Warriors offshoot that is expected to be popular as hell.

After Tecmo Koei offically announced Hokuto Musou (i.e. Dynasty Warriors: Fist of the North Star) for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 last week, the company's stock rose 17%. Tecmo Koei CEO Kenji Matsubara expects to unload a million copies in Japan alone, and the Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper reports that the game is planned for release in other regions as well. If Dynasty Warriors: Gundam and its sequel were brought to other regions, I would throw a fit if Hokuto Musou were not.

Not that I'm a Gundam hater; I enjoy robots just as much as the previous and next guys. The Fist of the North Star anime is just so damn great and bloody and violent that I simply can't wait to wander through a next-gen wasteland exploding heads and being all aloof. Fist of the North Star is an early 80s manga/anime series about a guy in an apocalyptic wasteland that will f**k you up, criminals, and that's the perfect premise for any videogame. Kenshiro, the main character, doesn't just f**k up criminals, he makes them explode after going all Bruce Lee on their asses. Fist of the North Star is a classic, though it is pretty graphic so be warned if you go searching for clips. The only thing that trumps Fist of the North Star could be Fist of the Blue Sky, basically the same premise but with gangsters in the 1930s.

This teaser video doesn't have me super excited, but it's short and probably of early gameplay. A guy explodes, so that's a positive. At the least it should be fun to experience Hokuto Musou's story mode that will have players murdering their way through the tale of the original manga. There will also be a Dynasty Warriors-style mode, which, who knows, could be fun as well. I know I'll be saying "You're already dead" (Kenshiro's catchphrase) if the game does end up making it to North America someday.

(Via: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/16/hokuto_musou_nico_nico_vote/])

MrMisfit

Apr 8, 2008
While it is a cool idea, Koei will probably screw it up by making it too repetitive.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
No freaking way! This better be coming to America o.o

Finally, I will be able to say "Now that's plausible" at the end of each level after having killed 1,000+ people

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Now, what I want to know is if you all have watched the actual, full 109 (152 including the second series) episodes of Hokuto no Ken. If not, here's the site that translated all of them.

http://www.heartofmadness.net/index.php?action=staff

I'd tell you where to go to watch them online, but that could be construed as advertising. If you want to know, PM me.

Now I understand that I'm being anime elitist, and I don't care. Hokuto no Ken is my favorite series of Manga/Anime ever. The Manga actually makes more sense though. Anyway *gets arm poked by Kenshiro*... What the hell?

Kenshiro: Omae wa mo, Shindeiru (You are already dead).

Me:... Fuck. *Head contorts violently, and then explodes.*

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
that is expected to be popular as hell.
is hell really popular?, i think your mistaking popular whit well known, its a common mistake as they resemble each other but still have very different meanings , while "popular" means its well known and enjoyed by the majority of those familiar whit it and "well known" means that its general knowledge that it exists.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Oh god... no...
Will they not stop until they've destroyed every decent anime tv/manga series? How long til we have Dynasty Warriors: Evangelion, or Full metal Alchemist... or gasp... Naruto >.< (btw, I don't think Naruto is a decent anime or mange, but other people seem to think otherwise, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt).
Also, for the people above. If you read the article you'll see it's being developed for both Ps3 and 360. Why would it be changed?

steroidaided

Oct 14, 2009
The difference between the dynasty warriors made for the ps3, and the "Empires" version made for the 360

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Hokuto No Ken is one of the few premises where this works, seeing as in the anime hundreds of stupid goons get slaughtered easily just like in a musou game. Still, I think everyone was suprised by this. Infact i'd go as far as to say YOU WA SHOCKED!

...[/youtube]

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
This is going to flat-out suck. It's like combining Chrono Trigger with the Encyclopedia Britannica. Or diamonds with dog crap.

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
FUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

The OP has made me a very happy man.

Now if you'll excuse me....I have to see if my shredded jacket still fits.

YURIAAAAAAAAAAA!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
swaki said:
is hell really popular?, i think your mistaking popular whit well known, its a common mistake as they resemble each other but still have very different meanings , while "popular" means its well known and enjoyed by the majority of those familiar whit it and "well known" means that its general knowledge that it exists.
It's, uh, popular with demons. That's what I meant, as popular as hell is with demons.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
swaki said:
It's, uh, popular with demons. That's what I meant, as popular as hell is with demons.
actually hell isn't popular whit demons, Matthew 25:41 ".....Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" So the whole design of hell was created to punish Satan and those that had fallen with him. Something that was created to punish demons and the principalities and powers of the air, they are not going to have special privileges , They too will be punished.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
swaki said:
Tom Goldman said:
swaki said:
actually hell isn't popular whit demons, Matthew 25:41 ".....Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:" So the whole design of hell was created to punish Satan and those that had fallen with him. Something that was created to punish demons and the principalities and powers of the air, they are not going to have special privileges , They too will be punished.
I'll take "missed the joke" for 500 Trebeck! THE DAY IS MINE!