Dead Space: Extraction Bombs, Analyst Blames Weak Marketing Effort

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dead Space: Extraction Bombs, Analyst Blames Weak Marketing Effort

Dead Space: Extraction [http://www.deadspacegame.com/] sold only 9000 copies in its first week of release, but EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich says the slow start shouldn't be a big shock to anyone.

A lot of people say that mature games just don't sell on the NPD's [http://www.wii.com] monthly reporting period. It's only a five-day stretch, true, but it's still hard to see that result as anything but a bomb.

Still, according to Jesse Divnich of EA [http://www.eedar.com/]. Despite previous claims that its success, or lack thereof, would go a long way to determining whether the company would continue to publish mature-rated games on the platform, he said the game has failed to live up to expectations in large part because EA failed to adequately market it.

"Electronic Arts didn't market Dead Space: Extraction as much as it does with other titles. And the success or failure of a Wii title usually correlates directly to marketing spend," he said. "If Electronic Arts spent little on marketing, I am sure the sell through was no surprise to them. So I do not believe sell through was a disappointment to EA."

There's more to it than just a weak advertising campaign, of course; Divnich also pointed out that the market for M-rated games on the Wii is relatively tiny. "As we progressed and witnessed the sales results from games such as MadWorld [http://www.sega.com/madworld/], it became pretty clear the market size for games with mature-content was extremely small, much smaller than any other home platform," he said. "The truth is most core gamers who gravitate towards mature content likely own more than just a Wii."

In spite of the slow start, however, he said the game could still achieve some degree of success. "Given Wii games tend to have a flatter sales curve, I don't think 20,000 plus units is out of the question for October and maybe we get a holiday bump in November and December," he added.

A compadre of mine asked why a game like Extraction, which by all reports is pretty good, would sell so poorly and I honestly can't come up with a better reason than the one we've already touched on: Mature games just don't sell on the Wii. It's a sweeping generalization, sure, but I dare you to show me that it's not true. idiotic pilates things [http://www.wiisportsresort.com/] sell by the truckload on the Wii, but M-rated games? Chasing that demographic is just flushing money down the crapper.

Source: Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/news/npd-dead-space-extraction-sells-9000-in-september]

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
I'm not too surprised by this. The first Dead Space didn't sell very well, either, and it was mostly from the same reason: EA's failure to market it properly. I haven't seen anything on TV or the internet advertising this game at all. You could make the greatest video game ever, but it's not gonna net you a nice profit if you don't tell anyone about it.

It's still sad news, though. Visceral Games put a lot of effort into Extraction, and it deserves to succeed. I honestly hope EA's not dumb enough to use Extraction's poor sales to determine whether or not they make more mature-rated Wii games since said poor sales was largely their fault.

ninja-voodoo

Apr 15, 2009
I dont think its fair to say that all mature games will bomb on the wii...I mean lets look at what we've had so far...Madworld honestly sucked balls and as much as i like dead space, rail shooters are never good. Maybe if there was a mature rated non-shit game then it might just sell!!I dont have high hopes :(

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I'd like to point out that No More Heroes did respectably well for a Mature title on the Wii. The blame solely rests with EA for not marketing this thing and really it's not surprising since one of their execs was deriding the Wii anyway.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Isn't it a rail shooter?

Fanatics of resident evil buy those, but, rail shooter? Nah.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I tend to think Dead Space both was not marketed very well, and also suffered from a general lack of originality. I mean generally speaking the game rocks if your a genere fan of "haunted" space ships, such as the original "Alien" movie, "Event Horizon", or recently "Pandorum". It is however a niche genere and has NEVER seen massive mainstream success despite having a number of cult classics.

Part of the problem is also that game companies are increasingly afraid to produce truely "M" rated games. Oh sure, they'll be "disappointed" with what is going in with Australia, and talk a game about how President Obama is wrong, but none of them are willing to actually DO anything, and ultimatly they wind up backpedaling on content despite their "disappointment" as opposed to fighting to release it.

The thing is that most of the Wii "M" titles I'm familiar with are not really "Mature" rather they are so bloody over the top and unbelievable with their violence that it's hard to really bring in the "M" crowd, but rather simply focus on a sort of kiddie-M rated violence. What I've seen (screenshot wise) of "Dead Space: Extraction" was largely garish and over the top.

See, with a true M-rated game it's not just about the splatter, but context. Truthfully the Wii has the potential to produce some truely startling M rated titles, but nobody is willing to go there. I look at "Manhunt 2" as being the only REAL attempt to make a game that could be considered "Mature" on the system. "Manhunt 2" failing because of the contreversy, and Rock Star backing down and putting in the violence filters and such, ultimatly leading to people like me going "WTF is the point?".

Honestly, when the Wii first came out, pretty much everyone and their brother thought it would be awesome to use the Wiimote as a sword and fight. Yet every single game I've seen that tries to do this messes up horrendously, and it seems like there is a desire to avoid making ot too visceral or realistic. As a result every "T" rated sword playgame has failed. The only game that seemed to come close here (and also had an M rating) was "No More Heroes" and again that game was so over the top that I'm not even sure if I can truely say it was "M" rated by correct standards. Sure plenty of blood, and some sexual innuendos, but in the end I don't think it did anything that hasn't been done at a PG-13/T rating before people started getting to touchy again, and the industry stopped standing up for itself.

The Wii has great potential to cast you as a sadistic, stalking killer, or cast you in the role of a gritty and brutal warrior slaughtering his enemies with a mighty battle axe in hand, but in general nobody has the guts to do it. Heck, even away for violence people have joked about the potential for sex games on the Wii, but nobody has even gone there for a minigame... your "hot coffee" minigame could be hot indeed if the industry grew a pair.

In the end, it comes down to the defenses of Valve for their backing down. Basically the companies are cowards. Don't blame the console, blame the producers and companies themselves.

If anything I feel the lack of "M" game development for the Wii is specifically because of it's intense potential for the genere. The 'controller in hand' scheme lends a defensible level of detachment from game content and the player. This is less so if your actually torturing someone, killing, fondling breasts, or sexually thrusting using a wiimote.

So basically when the industry desides it's time for them to remove their tails from between their collective legs, organize some protests and counter "offensives" through whatever means are needed (legal, extra legal, we all know how the game is played), we'll finally see some success on this platform.

See my impression of "Dead Space- Wii" is basically "Alien Syndrome rides again". Madworld struck me as being rather stupid and overly stylized. Sort of like "No More Heroes" but not as clever. Pretty much looking at NMH and basically figuring that if they made things over the top enough they could get away with things, while missing the entire point. Suda didn't make NMH to be over the top to avoid persecution, that's just how he's always rolled going by games like "Killer 7".

chimmers

Nov 18, 2007
Never heard of the title so I'd agree with the analyst on the poor marketing bit. Not that it looks too special from what I see here

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Hmmm maby they should have tried to reinvent the rail shooter on Wii with a non M rated game. Wait that would involve different source material or........ New ideas. (We know that cant happen.)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Aww man, that SUCKS. I love Dead Space, I don't want to see it bomb. It's like someone slapping your girlfriend.

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
Kalezian said:
Im sorry for this, but: "its only 9000!"

but what did you expect, not only is it a rail shooter, but its on the Wii, not that the Wii is bad or anything, but had it been on ps3, pc, or 360 it would of stood a better chance.
HAVE! Would HAVE stood a chance. "would of" doesn't make any sense! It's GIBBERISH. Learn some proper English.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
thiosk said:
Isn't it a rail shooter?

Fanatics of resident evil buy those, but, rail shooter? Nah.
I'd have to say this. I was looking forward to this game after loving the first on the PS3, but once I heard rail shooter I lost hope. Besides my Wii is at my mom's house with my sister, and I'm living with my father curently so I couldn't play it even if I wanted to. Which I at least want to rent it see if its ok.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I honestly can't see more than 15% of Wii owners buying anything other than safe titles. This wasn't the greatest idea.

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
Kalezian said:
StevieWonderMk2 said:
Kalezian said:
Im sorry for this, but: "its only 9000!"

but what did you expect, not only is it a rail shooter, but its on the Wii, not that the Wii is bad or anything, but had it been on ps3, pc, or 360 it would of stood a better chance.
HAVE! Would HAVE stood a chance. "would of" doesn't make any sense! It's GIBBERISH. Learn some proper English.
Of, as in being past tense and the game was already released and already has gone through its current actions [that being, not selling well], "would have" is used in the tense that the actions are still on-going.

had the report been: "Dead Space: Extaction wont sell over 9000 by the end of the month", then "would have" would of been a better choice.

I knows me some English also, maybe I needs to learn grammar instead.
No. Just, no.
Tense has nothing to do with it. Would Of is a mutilation derived from would've being garbled. Of is a preposition, it CANNOT be used with would/could/should. "would of" is meaningless.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wow how come no one has pointed out the most obvious answer. That anyone who did buy it for the Wii would need a 360 or a PS3 to continue on with the story. And anyone who played the original would need a Wii to find more of the backstory. EA seems to have gotten a bit greedy with Dead Space. There is an animated movie prequel that was released a week before the game. This is not the way to build a franchise.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
samaritan.squirrel said:
I honestly can't see more than 15% of Wii owners buying anything other than safe titles. This wasn't the greatest idea.
I would argue that you overestimated it. Especially seeing how the majority of Wii gamers who play mature games also own another console or PC, giving them even less reason to go for the arguably crappier version of Dead Space.
But the lack of advertising really hurt it; I didn't even know it was released this month, and I was actually quite interested in the game. Even then, 9000 is quite abysmal. A mediocre PS3 game with no advertising would probably pull off better numbers.