Candidates Needed for Lengthy Virtual Trip to Mars

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Candidates Needed for Lengthy Virtual Trip to Mars

If you're fit as spit and have a spare 520 days laying around, you could be selected to take a hardcore virtual trip to Mars.

A few lucky Europeans now have the chance to be selected by the European Space Agency and Russia's Institute of Biomedical Problems for the Mars500, a 520 day virtual trip to the red planet. The trip will kick off in the Mars500's sealed facility with a 250-day simulated trip to Mars, followed by a 30 day stay on the planet for some R&R and a 240-day return trip. For the "stay" on Mars, the crew will actually move into a separate module than for the traveling portions. The reason for this simulation is to study the effects of isolation on human "psychological and physiological aspects, such as stress, hormone regulation and immunity, sleep quality, mood and the effectiveness of dietary supplements."

You can't just be any schlub to get into the program, though. Preferred candidates will have backgrounds in subjects like medicine, biology, and computer engineering. Plus, they'll have to pass a screening process similar to that of astronaut selection. This is a little unfair; what we ought to be learning about is the effect that space has on the average person that can't do basic math and doesn't get a lick of exercise. If humankind is ever going to travel into space, we'd need to know that anyhow.

Volunteers may only be from ESA member states such as Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, Greece, Italy, Ireland, Norway, The Netherlands, Sweden or Canada. This is too bad, because I would be perfect for the study. I would be the guy that freaks out and kills the entire crew, and blames it on space pirates. Plus, I would yell "Get your ass to Mars!" a whole lot. Maybe that's not what the ESA is looking for, but it'd be a whole lot of fun for me.

If you'd like to sign up, visit http://www.esa.int/callmars500 [http://www.esa.int/callmars500]

Source: Physorg [http://www.physorg.com/news175252902.html]

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
And so the prequel to Dead Space and Event Horizon begins...

No Australian recruits? This may very well give me a reason to buff up and clear up my insanity. Maybe cut myself off from playing violent video games so I don't catch space dementia and blow off everyone's limbs with a plasma cutter.

G-Mang

May 11, 2009
Considering the lack of internet and probable conservation of power, I would probably force all of my crew mates to take up tabletop gaming. I wonder how dice roll in zero gravity.

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
I thought our trips to mars were supposed to be in stasis so that we just take a nap. :)

All kidding aside it is an interesting thing, it does however ignore chages in gravity and hwat that can do to a human being over large periods of time but I guess they would already have part of that information. And to keep this as pure as possible I imagine there wouldn't be a lot to do.

I think it would be fun for the first couple weeks after that however I would think i'd want out.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
Man, would it ever be nice to fuck off for a year and a half... and still be involved in what will inevitably be humanity's greatest achievement. I'll have to find out if they need someone with an English degree. (I know the answer already: No one needs someone with an English degree.)

Sep 13, 2009
That screening part reminded me of Gattaca.
Damn that was a fine sci-fi.

EDIT:
cleverlymadeup said:
i'd have to bring the Space Oddity cd along for the ride
Are you sure? If I remeber correctly it was quite depressing. Event Horizon is imminent. You won't need eyes where you are going.Etc.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this would be kinda cool, tho it would suck to be out of touch with everyone for 2 years.

i'd have to bring the Space Oddity cd along for the ride

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
I could have done it if it was next year as will be a registered biomedical scientist then... Shame about being fit though.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
It looks so promising, and yet there's no way I'd make the cut.

Though halfway there they're probably going to pick up an "empty" locker.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Don't we already have the ISS to study the effects of isolation on humans? The ISS having the obvious benefit of actually being out there... in space... where noone can hear you scream... except for your crewmates... and ground control... and national television... and eventually everyone watching CNN and local news.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I can see that there'd be people who'd want to do the actual mission, but... Spending a year and a half sitting in a box on earth? No glory, no achievement, just...sitting in a box? Who'd want to do that?

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Ah... I guess I am ineligible, since I meet none of those requirements.
For the best, I assume, since I would probably turn into a psychotic serial killer.
I wonder, if someone does go insane, and threatens physical harm to any of the other crew members, do the people outside pop the hatch and stop them?

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Preferred candidates will have backgrounds in subjects like medicine, biology, and computer engineering.
Anyone who has any education in these fields will know better than to fuck around for a year and a half in some damn experiment instead of pursuing their field of expertise.