Drunken Father Kills Son, Missing Videogame Blamed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Drunken Father Kills Son, Missing Videogame Blamed

A man in Houston, Texas, is in police custody after drunkenly shooting and killing his teenage son during an argument over a missing videogame.

The Houston Police Department said Ofelio Antonio Otero had been drinking heavily when he and his wife got into an argument over a missing videogame at around 4:15 this morning. At some point during the argument, his 17-year-old son Ignacio became involved, at which point Otero apparently got his gun and loaded it.

"The son then proceeds to try and knock the gun away and then he runs away," said police spokeswoman Jodi Silva. Unfortunately, knocking guns out of people's hands is rarely as simple as it looks on television or, dare I say it, in videogames, and as the younger Otero was running away, his father fired once, hitting him in the neck and killing him. The elder Otero then fled to an apartment complex a couple miles away, where he surrendered to the Houston SWAT team after a three-hour standoff. He has been charged with murder.

This, I suppose, is the point at which I'm supposed to take the conventional news media to task for making this killing about videogames. So let's do that: The Houston Chronicle [http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6685584.html] headline - "Houston Dad Killed Son Over Videogame" - makes the act sound like some kind of psychotic payback for too many ass-kickings in Mortal Kombat rather than what it really is: A drunken scumbag with a gun and a "prior criminal history" who finally took his abusive behavior too far.

Maybe I'm being a little oversensitive. Maybe if the argument had originally started because nobody could find the TV remote, the headline would scream, "Man Kills Son Because He Couldn't Change the Channel." But I rather doubt it. And as long as stories like this attract follow-up user comments like, "Lends some credence to video games causing violence" - not booze, not socio-economic conditions, not a rampant gun culture, but videogames - which has itself garnered a considerable amount of "thumbs-up" support from fellow commentators, I don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit touchy about it.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
What videogame was it? That's what I want to know. If it was my copy of Nintendo World Championships: Gold Edition, the murder could possibly be justified.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Wow, this is just another reason people will blame videogames over the deaths of others. I agree that it's indeed bullshit. Why didn't the headlines just say, "Drunken Father kills son over argument"? The press are always looking for a scapegoat, goodness forbid we blame alcohol and a previous criminal record, let us blame video games instead.

Malygris said:
I don't think it's unreasonable to be a bit touchy about it.
And no, it's not unreasonable to be a bit touchy about it. But remember your source, it's the Houston Chronicle, the people with a writer who thinks Left 4 Dead 2 and Call of Juarez are racist. ;)

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Malygris said:
The Houston Chronicle [http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6685584.html] headline - "Houston Dad Killed Son Over Videogame" - makes the act sound like some kind of psychotic payback for too many ass-kickings in Mortal Kombat rather than what it really is: A drunken scumbag with a gun and a "prior criminal history" who finally took his abusive behavior too far.
Yeah, that headline is really misleading. I hate it when the media does stuff like this.

Nonetheless, this story is still pretty depressing. Also, did they ever mention which video game they were arguing about? Just curious.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
yay for the Newspapers misleading everyone once again with headlines that unjustly draw attention away from what was the real reason for this shooting. Way to go, Houston Chronicle for giving me yet another reason to not read/watch the news from the news media. <.<

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
this will probably portray games are bad by the media
though i feel bad for the family i do think it was the fathers fault, obviously he has some problems

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Another murder where a video game was involved...this time no game is mentioned, just that there was one....I'd like to see the police report on this one to see if there even was a game involved....

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
That's our news media for ya, skewing anything they like to sound how they want it to, for extra dollars. I suppose Texas is light on alcohol-induced crimes, including drunk driving. Of course I have yet to see a DUI charge anywhere that caused the offender to lose their license FOREVER. Any examples of such would make my day.
As for this guy, it doesn't matter the reason. He is going to be inconvenienced for a long time, and will have to live with the fact that his son is gone. Because, even in a drunken state, he chose to pick up a gun. He chose. Good bet is if he was able to fire it in such a state, it wasn't gunlocked. Too bad the son didn't go for the gun first if his dad was a chronic bully. Then dad would probably be spending the night in a motel, and not a jail.
Krakyn said:
What videogame was it? That's what I want to know.
Why does it matter? It's really irrelevant.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
DTWolfwood said:
yay for the Newspapers misleading everyone once again with headlines that unjustly draw attention away from what was the real reason for this shooting. Way to go, Houston Chronicle for giving me yet another reason to not read/watch the news from the news media. <.<
I'd like to point out at the Houston Chronicle has it out for gamers, not too long ago, one of their writers accused Left 4 Dead 2, Resi 5 and Call of Jueraz for being racist.
That accusation is full of fail. :p
So what have we learned about the Houston Chronicle?
Houston Chronicle=pure evil

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
The gun has little to do with it. If the gun hadn't of existed it would have been a knife. If the knife hadn't existed it would have been a fist.

Abusive people are abusive regardless of what weapons they wield.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Yeah.. That headline is really misleading.

So its the video games fault? No offence, but the dad would have probably beaten or killed him either way.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Squid94 said:
What has the human race come to? If people see this is a reason to commit murder, somethings gone a bit wrong.
It was one man, not all of us are like that. How many times have you been shot in the neck by a drunken lunatic?

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
That's our news media for ya, skewing anything they like to sound how they want it to, for extra dollars. I suppose Texas is light on alcohol-induced crimes, including drunk driving. Of course I have yet to see a DUI charge anywhere that caused the offender to lose their license FOREVER. Any examples of such would make my day.
As for this guy, it doesn't matter the reason. He is going to be inconvenienced for a long time, and will have to live with the fact that his son is gone. Because, even in a drunken state, he chose to pick up a gun. He chose. Good bet is if he was able to fire it in such a state, it wasn't gunlocked. Too bad the son didn't go for the gun first if his dad was a chronic bully. Then dad would probably be spending the night in a motel, and not a jail.
Krakyn said:
What videogame was it? That's what I want to know.
Why does it matter? It's really irrelevant.
Relevancy has nothing to do with my desire to know. It's curiosity. Thanks for your comment though, super helpful.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
orangebandguy said:
Squid94 said:
What has the human race come to? If people see this is a reason to commit murder, somethings gone a bit wrong.
It was one man, not all of us are like that. How many times have you been shot in the neck by a drunken lunatic?
Too many to count =P